BBQ thread

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Bah bah the sweet subject of grill!

Looks like we have some grill masters around here. ZA jan, one thing that might be a little difficult to get though is the 22% fat ratio. There are plently of conventional meat to fat ratios like 80% to 20%, 85% to 15%, 90% to 10% or even 95% to 5% but I don't remember seeing 78% to 22%.

I am now very motivated to put your recipe in a good use this weekend. :)

One thing I should mention about kiwi is be careful not to overuse it. It can over tenderize your meat, specially on chicken.
I buy mine from Bristol Farms which is sort of an upper end store (like a whole foods) and they have 22% but it seems a lot less fattier than even 20% when I buy at Ralph's or Vons. I can tell when I "mimalamesh be ham" the sides of the bowl has less donbe stuck on it than the so called "20%" of Ralph's or regular markets. But you are right most places don't carry 22% ground beef. My brother whom is a pro mixes half ground lamb & and half ground beef 10% fat and it is a bit more juicy.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Marinating is not needed for meats which are generally aged. If you get aged meats that are salted and then aged anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months in a cool place and no air flow then the marinating is not necessary. With meats which are just grabbed from the market you definitely need to add some ingredients to it to actually bring out the flavor. Marinating does on a much lower level what aging does to the meat. Kiwi is to be used only for short periods of time as the acids in it will destroy the meat if used too long. You generally want to rub it on about 10-15 prior to cooking the meat as longer periods will make the meat much softer and it would fall apart. And this is recommended for tough meats. Your softer meats will not need kiwi on them. If you are a patient person it’s always good to take your time and slow cook to truly bring out the flavor of the meat which is being cooked. If you like cheese you can obtain some pepper jack cheese and place it on red or orange bell pepper once they are cut to small pieces and on the BBQ for about 15 min. It will melt right in and tastes delicious especially if you are having sausages. Argentinian beef sausages goes very well with that mix!

ZA jaan the 22% seems very high brother… Truly fattening even though the whole taste of koobideh does come with the fat. I too blend the onion and then put it in a few paper towels and press to get all the juices out. Pure blended onion mixed with the beef does work wonders. If you like a Jalapeno Salmon cheese burger I can also provide you with a recipe which is to die for.

OP jan please see my response to Arti. Please share your recipe. While we are on recipes anyone have a recipe for torshiye anbeh (mango)?

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Wild Salmon/ Regular salmon
Jalapenos (Fresh and to be seeded and cut to little pieces or blended) Purchase from Ralphs.. Make sure to remove seeds.
Onion
Shredded cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese
Breads crumbs
Lemon juice (Freshly squeezed- I use a lot cause I love it sour)
Pepper
Salt
Egg (whites only)

Take the Jalapenos and take out the seeds and cut them to little pieces. Take your onion and blend it for a few seconds and take the onion juice out using a paper towel. Cut salmon to a few pieces and blend for about 3-4 seconds. It will tear to pieces if more and will be ruined. Mix the jalapenos with the salmon, onion, bread crumbs (can buy it already in a powder form or make your own) and use more salmon than crumbs. Add a bunch of lemon juice (hand Squeezed) and use a knife to bring out all the inside from the lemon and add it on there. Add a bit of olive oil, pepper, salt, and 1-2 white of egg only (Egg white is used to stick everything together and depends on how much you are actually making- Generally 1 is enough). Mix your shredded cheese and form into patties. You can put them in your broiler and cook for about 10 min ( I add a bit of olive oil on top it once cooking to make it crispy but not necessary) or on your BBQ set. Serve while very hot with a green salad or just maze for some shots in small pieces as you cut them. Very delicious indeed!

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
ZA, what is "Adviyeh haftrang"?

and your brother mixing lamb and beef for kubideh, he is absolutely right. that's the real thing.
If you ever go to the bazar in Iran the spice sellers always have the advieh haftrang upfront & unmixed. I don't know all the 7 spices but I know turmeric and paprika and ground cumin and pepper & coriander are a few of them. Here are a few pictures:
http://persianposts.com/tag/haft-advieh/
http://flickrhivemind.net/Tags/advieh/Interesting
My brother lives in another state & he has access to the lamb that is in Iran so it iks not stinky like the lamb out here. That's why I don't use it & he does. But a true good kubideh is 100% goosfandi.

Oct 18, 2002
Antelope Valley,California
Zob, mix of ground lamb and beef is excellent idea , that is if you can find ground lamb aeasily accessible to you.

I have been lazy buying prepared for kabob Irani mix...

The other option that I tried once and turned out very tasty, was 10% beef, mixed with enough (depending on serving size) a spoon or two of melted or soft garlic butter . my choice of advieh would be salt,pepper, a pinch of rye and tumeric ( zaferoon esfehooni) blended in onion and egg yok.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Zob, mix of ground lamb and beef is excellent idea , that is if you can find ground lamb aeasily accessible to you.

I have been lazy buying prepared for kabob Irani mix...

The other option that I tried once and turned out very tasty, was 10% beef, mixed with enough (depending on serving size) a spoon or two of melted or soft garlic butter . my choice of advieh would be salt,pepper, a pinch of rye and tumeric ( zaferoon esfehooni) blended in onion and egg yok.
Sounds good. What is rye though? Is that zeereh?
Turmeric ke zaferoone esfaani nist. Golrang zaferoone esfaaniye. zardchooghe zard mikoned vali golrang ghermez.

Oct 18, 2002
ژنرال تو اون***یکی ترد کنف شد، ارتش جونیور تو این ترد شروع به عملیات مسلحانه کرد :)
ببینم این ای*** اس*** پیام صاحب نداره، یا کسی*** تخمش نیست که این دلقک بازی***ها ارزش و احترام این سایت رو به حد صفر میرسونه؟

Oct 18, 2002
Rye is not zeereh.rye is a kind of grain. it's called chavdar in Farsi.

Cumin is zeereh. and there are 3 types of it : zeereh sefid , zeereh siyah & zeereh sabz.

chelo zeereh ba morgh va vodka. bah bah bah.
Isn't chavdar , fenel? Or is Fenel Razianeh?

Well, I use ground Zireh ( Cumin).

For steak meat, if the meat is fresh , Ocean Salt and pepper is all you need ( and a touch of Olive Oil).l