rouhani's nbc interview..

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
^^Are you kidding?? Actually I thought he answered it quite well. :D He said why are you looking at the past? People of Iran have voted for a moderate president etc. Meaning what he said was BS and I don't agree with it. :D

BTW thanks for the videos. I was looking forward to see them.

Last edited:

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
I thought this guys had a PhD from a UK university and wrote his thesis in English and and spoke fluent English, and a bunch of other languages. I was looking forward to hearing him speak English. What happened?

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
First, greetings to all. I was wondering how the forum would have been abuzz with all the news that was happening. On the plus side, I actually got some work done!

Now, don't we go through this good cop, bad cop theatre every decade? This time Iran, er.. Sepha, is really hurting. Their businesses are doing horrible so they may have come to the conclusion that this nuclear thing is bad for business. Something may come of it.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I thought this guys had a PhD from a UK university and wrote his thesis in English and and spoke fluent English, and a bunch of other languages. I was looking forward to hearing him speak English. What happened?
Very few world leaders speak in English in interviews unless they are very comfortable with the language like Bibi or the Shah.

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
Very few world leaders speak in English in interviews unless they are very comfortable with the language like Bibi or the Shah.
But he has a "PhD" and wrote his thesis in English. Shouldn't he feel comfortable? I am guessing, he does not know much English.

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Blah blah blah. Just a bunch of rhetorical bull shit. Frankly, he answers questions the exact same way AN answered them and talks about the same peace and friendship AN talked about while the regime was shooting innocent Iranians on the streets. What freely elected government? He thinks he was elected freely?! And he basically answered the question of what do you think about the Holocaust being a myth and Israel being wiped off the map, by saying that Palestinians should return to their land - translated from Akhundi, that means yes to both questions!

Last edited:

Agha Shojaa

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2002
Canada
But he has a "PhD" and wrote his thesis in English. Shouldn't he feel comfortable? I am guessing, he does not know much English.
I read an interview from Jack Straw and in that interview he referred to Rohani as someone whose English skills are at a good/acceptable level. In the same interview, Straw talked about Mousavian as some one who he considered very fluent in English. I have seen Javad Zarif speak English and he is the best out of all of them.

Oct 1, 2004
I read an interview from Jack Straw and in that interview he referred to Rohani as someone whose English skills are at a good/acceptable level. In the same interview, Straw talked about Mousavian as some one who he considered very fluent in English. I have seen Javad Zarif speak English and he is the best out of all of them.
Adeli also spoke very good English IIRC. What happened to him?

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Well, Assad, of all people, did. In fact, other than the girlie voice he was pretty good at it.
precisely Asad did speak English and because he that's why his interview was a failure.

you only speak in non-native language if you are able to convey a your desired image.

That is you must be familiar with the target audiences cultural background.

if you speak English you must be able to show good humor in English and ...

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
میگن ظریف جلوتر رفته نیویورک ، در تموم توالتهای سازمان ملل رو قفل کرده که اگه اباما و روحانی رو در رو شدن طرف نتونه بره تو دستشویی قایم بشه مثل اون دوستمون
:p

Agha Shojaa

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2002
Canada
Well, Assad, of all people, did. In fact, other than the girlie voice he was pretty good at it.
Interesting that just a couple of days ago I read something related to your reply. According to this article I was reading (it was from either the Economist or Time, I cannot remember which one), Assad was never fluent in English when he returned from England despite having finished school there. He apparently was very shy, and in London where he went to school, he either only went straight to his classes, or hung out with his Arab friends in the apartment he had in London. It was only after his return to Syria that he started working on his English. I have seen him speak a few times and he is not that bad.