Did Iran Put Too Much Faith in Dejagah?

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
Dejagha had more chances because of the runs he made but he was playing so far behind the frontline at times helping with the defense that by the time he was pushing forward he was gassed. It did not look like he was 100% there and if you remember his last number of games for Fulham he was coming back from injury and never played a full 90 minutes and was effective. If I remember correctly Magath even mentioned that Dejagha was not 100% recovered from his injury and had lost some of his pace and the ability to put in a full game which is why he was coming off of the bench. With that said, even with a 100% Dejagha he's not a pure forward and coming out of the midfield he would have needed to be more forward to make a bigger impact.

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
yeah we did but it wasn't even near 30% it was something like 22% Gucci 21% Dejagah. Honestly I think we relied much more on Gucci too score than Dejagah.

What Iran should have done however is put more pressure on Jahanbaksh, Shojaei, Nekounam and Ando to try to score as well! and even our defenders Hosseini and Montazari..

Last edited:

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
yeah we did but it wasn't even near 30% it was something like 22% Gucci 21% Dejagah. Honestly I think we relied much more on Gucci too score than Dejagah.

What Iran should have done however is put more pressure on Jahanbaksh, Shojaei, Nekounam and Ando to try to score as well! and even our defenders Hosseini and Montazari..
The only pressure you could have put on Jahanbakhsh was for him to make the bench 22% warmer! Poor guy didn't get much chance.

Oct 18, 2002
here
www.apfn.org
I agree with Behrang

I think we lacked a good center halfback like bagheri to distribute the ball and help both dejagah and gucci .
as i saw it both of our forwards had to carry the ball and dribble 3 to5 people themselves and by the time they reached a shooting distance they were either too tired to shoot or where choked by the defenders...
sure wished we had ali karimi just to throw the defenders off so that the 2 could do something

we need a good head zan like daei was
we need a good dribbler like karimi was and
we need a good ball distributor like bagheri (with those great distant balls that you could not mess up if you wanted to ) LOL

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
If Iran had five physical players like Dejageh we would be in better shape.

He was the only Iranian player in the worldCup that could shield the ball for a few seconds.

Aug 21, 2005
next door
overall i thought Dejagah did not have a good wc, he looked tired, agitated, and made way too many un-forced errors. i would expect that from other players but not someone like dejaghah

May 12, 2007
Dejagha had more chances because of the runs he made but he was playing so far behind the frontline at times helping with the defense that by the time he was pushing forward he was gassed. It did not look like he was 100% there and if you remember his last number of games for Fulham he was coming back from injury and never played a full 90 minutes and was effective. If I remember correctly Magath even mentioned that Dejagha was not 100% recovered from his injury and had lost some of his pace and the ability to put in a full game which is why he was coming off of the bench. With that said, even with a 100% Dejagha he's not a pure forward and coming out of the midfield he would have needed to be more forward to make a bigger impact.
I have full respect for CQ but Dejagah was never used approrpiately like in Fulham. Either left or right midfield. The problem was lack of frienlyness and he didn't get tested the right place. But an ideal line up for me was
------------------------ Gucci---- Jahanbakhsh
------DJ--------------NN---------Ando---------------Shojaei
---Poladi------------ Hosseini----- Sadeghi----------Montazeri
And then against Bosni we could try Hadadi Far or Rahmani in CM. I claim we would be a better team

Jun 26, 2014
Without bothering to read the article, Dejagah is class and was carrying the team against Argentina. His discrete performances with Nigeria and Bosnia are really due to lack of decent support from the midfield.

Gucci and Deja have the potential to be the greatest footballers ever to don the Iran shirt ( at this moment, I would say Neko and Mahdavikia have been our best ). I do think Gucci has more than surpassed Azizi though.