Airbus to deliver 114 planes after sanctions are lifted

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I am sure Boeing is coming as well, they are going to lose if they do not capitalize on this. I am happy as well because those Russian Topolov planes SUCK do you know how many deaths we had because of these sanctions? Iranians lost their lives because the Russian plane had "a mechanical failure." I know because I was in Iran in 06 and I flew on one of those shitty planes. You want to beat the sandies aka Saudi's then beat them this way improve your planes, telecommunications systems, infrastructure etc when you act like a monkey climbing their embassy, it makes me want to call you a sandy as well and lump you in with them. If you want to be accepted by the international community then act like you have been there before. It's like what my old football coach would say to us when one of us would act like an idiot, after scoring a touchdown. He would say, "Fellas, when you score a touchdown, act like you have been there before." This message is to Iranians living in Iran.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
Iranians lost their lives because the Russian plane had "a mechanical failure." I know because I was in Iran in 06 and I flew on one of those shitty planes.
Exactly, I was scared as hell, because there were some talks going on buying russian jet planes now after all these sanctions!
By the way, there are advanced plans to order 300 more of long distance planes too, in that case the Boeing will be there, hoping for that anyway!

What do you think of this?
BOEING 700 DOUBLE DECKER

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
^^I read about that as well and this is great news if it goes through.
http://www.azernews.az/region/66640.html From the article.
Boeing voiced its willingness to start a technical process that could lead to the resumption of direct flights between Iran and the U.S.
Head of Iran's Civil Aviation Organization Alireza Jahangirian said the American airplane maker has received an authorization from the U.S. Treasury Department over procedures required for establishing Iran-U.S. flights. "Boeing has already started to talk with Iranian companies to finalize the relevant deals for supplying the spare parts required for resuming flights," Jahangirian added.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
This is good news knowing they plan to resume direct flights to Iran, but I would like to see Iranian new Boeing aircrafts, flying by Iranian pilots!
It is a win for both parties so I do not see any reasons why Boeing would NOT want to build 300 logd distance planes for Iran. That is mucho dinero amigo and Iran gets to upgrade their fleet. Bye bye comrade Topolov planes. To pull a Weird Al, 'In Soviet Russia, Topolov plane crashes you!"

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
^^If it is on WSJ then it is all good. The only thing I hate is those greedy bastards want you to pay so you can get the full story. Why? I can just go to another news source and read the same article for free. I am not sayiung it is a bad newspaper and it is great for business but they overcharge, to be honest with you. Still, good news it should go through. Too much money is on the table here for both parties to pass this up. Better planes = more tourists and money for Iran so it is not like Iran is getting nothing here.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
^^If it is on WSJ then it is all good. The only thing I hate is those greedy bastards want you to pay so you can get the full story. Why? I can just go to another news source and read the same article for free.
we can not start a newspaper a la CCCP/china/N. Korea in the big meydan up in the crappy billboard for our fellow citizens!? :)

buddy, we're talking market-economy you know (supply & demand).....
does it taste? then it costs!

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
Fella, here is the whole article/full story, be my guest, cheers!

By ROBERT WALL
Updated Jan. 24, 2016 10:37 a.m. ET

TEHRAN— Boeing Co. could benefit from a potential bonanza of plane orders from Iran, the country’s transport minister said Sunday, as the Islamic Republic seeks to modernize its aging aircraft fleet with deals that could also include Airbus Group SE A380 superjumbos.

Iran is keen to re-establish ties with Western companies following the lifting of sanctions as part of a wider accord to significantly constrain the country’s nuclear activities. It has already said it agreed to buy Airbus jetliners, though the European plane maker hasn’t confirmed an order beyond saying it could enter into business with Iranian airlines in compliance with international laws.

“We are open to buying from Boeing,” Iranian Transport Minister Abbas Akhoundi said in a brief interview little more than a week after the U.S. and Western countries agreed to lift an embargo on aircraft sales to Iran.

Years of sanctions, some imposed in the wake of its revolution in 1979 rather than over the country’s nuclear program, have left Iran with one of the world’s oldest aircraft fleets, which it is keen to modernize.

“We need short-, middle-range and longer-range airplanes,” Mr. Akhoundi said at the first Iran Aviation Summit organized by the CAPA Centre for Aviation Consultancy. Aviation would be key to reviving the country’s tourism industry, he said.

Boeing has said: “There are many steps that need to be taken should we decide to sell airplanes to Iran’s airlines. For now, we are assessing the situation.”

A Boeing 747-200 E4 jet of the U.S. Air Force rolls past the tower after its arrival at Zurich Airport, Switzerland, on Jan. 21. ENLARGE
A Boeing 747-200 E4 jet of the U.S. Air Force rolls past the tower after its arrival at Zurich Airport, Switzerland, on Jan. 21. PHOTO: ARND WIEGMANN/REUTERS
The Airbus deal would be for 127 planes and address fleet plans through 2022, Iran’s deputy transport minister for finance and international affairs, Asghar F. Kashan, said in an interview. It would include eight A380 superjumbos, with deliveries of the double-deckers starting around 2019.

Such an order would be a big boost for Airbus, which has struggled to find buyers for its flagship plane. Many airlines have shied away from the jet, which has a list price of $432.6 million.

Mr. Kashan said the Airbus deal would be mostly for new A320 single-aisle planes, but would also include A330 and used A340 long-haul planes. Iran also plans to buy 16 A350 jets, Airbus’s newest long-range jet. Airbus and the plane maker’s government-owned export credit agencies will help finance the transaction, he said.

Airbus Chief Executive Tom Enders last week said Iran was “a huge market” whose carriers could place 400 to 500 plane orders in the coming years.

Deals for all of the new planes could be formally announced when Iranian President Hassan Rouhani visits Paris this week, Mr. Akhoundi said.

Mr. Kashan said Iran also may buy 40 turboprop short-haul planes from the ATR joint venture between Airbus and Italy’s Finmeccanica SpA. Deliveries would unfold this year and next, he said.

He said it was unclear how soon a deal with Boeing could be finalized. The plane maker still was trying to sort out how to deal with Iran and comply with U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control rules, he said.

Iran Air, the country’s flagship airline, has a fleet with an average age of more than 25 years, according to research service AeroTransport Data Bank, though some of those aircraft aren’t actively flown. The European Union has placed restrictions on which aircraft the carrier can operate in Europe because of safety concerns.

Mahdi Hashemi, chairman of the Iranian parliament’s civil-aviation commission, said there was urgency to rapidly expand the fleet of around 150 aircraft to 500 within three to five years, adding that new planes also would boost safety.

Western airlines are also expected to benefit in the short term following the lifting of sanctions. Several Western carriers are making plans to boost service to and from Iran to take advantage of growing business ties.

Dutch airline KLM is considering restarting services to Tehran, though the carrier is still assessing whether all sanctions have been removed, Chief Executive Pieter Elbers said. Sister carrier Air France last year announced plans to resume services to and from Tehran. British Airways is actively considering starting flights to the Iranian capital, Willie Walsh, chief executive of the airline’s parent, International Consolidated Airlines Group SA, said last week.

Mr. Akhoundi said Iran also plans to spend $250 million to upgrade its air-traffic management systems.

Iran’s airspace has become busier even ahead of sanctions relief. Fighting in neighboring countries has driven airlines to fly routes over Iran. Mr. Akhoundi said the country had opened new corridors for flights and would work to assure a high degree of safety of its airspace.

Write to Robert Wall at robert.wall@wsj.com

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Yet another stupid investment by the Iranian Government.

so long as these Visa Issues Remain, alcohol issue remains; Iran is not gonna be competitive in long haul or medium haul game.
so why waste the country's money on it.

but even if it was. we are well past the era of flag carrier Era.

What Iran needs is whole bunch of short range planes for serving the needs of the country internally. not a whole of of A320 or A320 neos.

but I guess better waste the money on planes than other B.S.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV

so long as these Visa Issues Remain, alcohol issue remains; Iran is not gonna be competitive in long haul or medium haul game.

What Iran needs is whole bunch of short range planes for serving the needs of the country internally. not a whole of of A320 or A320 neos.

Just be happy they did not completely squander the money and spend it on religion.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
Just be happy they did not completely squander the money and spend it on religion.
INDEED!

What's more bullcrap also laughable, are those fellas being at the distance watching the spectacle of how western businessmen began clamoring for Iranian blood money! That causes me severe nausea. That is how the limit of stupidity could be exceeded with a huge so called retarded distance!
At the other hand when I resonate with myself in my realm of thoughts cant see why not spending blood money on such a noble cause and renew the fleet of air transport to save lives than spending on feeding terrorism in Lebanon and such.

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD

I wont believe all these report until I see one new Airbus or Boeing in Iran but if these report do come out to be true and Iran does buy a lot of new planes then you wont see me complaining. We've complained for years about Iran not having new planes so if it does actually happen we should just be happy that they actually spent money to make ordinary citizens lives better. But besides new planes Iran desperately needs a good airport to compete.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
THIS..... this one is a good reading, spot on!

Welcome to Tehran International Airport.

Could Iran Become the Next Dubai, an Aviation Superpower?
While the country was an international pariah, an Arab state saw and seized a prize that could have been theirs for the taking: crossroads of international aviation.

For Dubai itself the airport and its airline have been rainmakers—bringing in nearly $27 billion a year, representing 27 percent of the GDP.
Looking at this, the Iranians can only dream “what if?” If they had not become international pariahs, could Tehran have been to airline routes what Dubai now is?

Moreover, Tehran had always been an optimal location on the air routes linking Europe, the Middle East and Asia. On Pan Am’s route maps from the first post-war expansion of air travel the favored cities, because they aligned with the most efficient network were London, Frankfurt, Rome, Istanbul, Tehran, Delhi, Bangkok, Hong Kong and Tokyo.

It is not late for that, I truly hope these towelheads just take it easy and not start climbing another embassy!

Last edited:

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I wont believe all these report until I see one new Airbus or Boeing in Iran but if these report do come out to be true and Iran does buy a lot of new planes then you wont see me complaining. We've complained for years about Iran not having new planes so if it does actually happen we should just be happy that they actually spent money to make ordinary citizens lives better. But besides new planes Iran desperately needs a good airport to compete.
The era spending money on National Carriers is over. it was over in the 80s when the U.S deregulated the entire industry.

if you are country. your priority should be building better Airports and facilities and remove restrictions (Hejab) and private carriers domestic or foreign will come in.

The issue is not whether Iran needs to replace those old 70s boeings or the 80s Airbuses or MDs or the fokers.

The issue is to compete where you have a competitive advantage (with Market prices).

Iranian Airlines because lack of restrictions (Hejab, VISA, alcohol, political uncertainty,facilities, not part of CodeShares, CreditCard Processing.) won't be able to complete in the international long-haul or medium haul market.

so in my view. It is wiser to buy small planes that can serve all of iran. wouldn't a Shirazi want a flight from Shiraz to Amol or Rasht
on a small 50 man or 100 plane. instead of flying to Tehran and then from there getting somewhere.

unfortunately the IranAir, Mahan. all still think in really old ways. the new game in town is direct flights on small planes to anywhere.

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
The era spending money on National Carriers is over. it was over in the 80s when the U.S deregulated the entire industry.

if you are country. your priority should be building better Airports and facilities and remove restrictions (Hejab) and private carriers domestic or foreign will come in.

The issue is not whether Iran needs to replace those old 70s boeings or the 80s Airbuses or MDs or the fokers.

The issue is to compete where you have a competitive advantage (with Market prices).

Iranian Airlines because lack of restrictions (Hejab, VISA, alcohol, political uncertainty,facilities, not part of CodeShares, CreditCard Processing.) won't be able to complete in the international long-haul or medium haul market.

so in my view. It is wiser to buy small planes that can serve all of iran. wouldn't a Shirazi want a flight from Shiraz to Amol or Rasht
on a small 50 man or 100 plane. instead of flying to Tehran and then from there getting somewhere.

unfortunately the IranAir, Mahan. all still think in really old ways. the new game in town is direct flights on small planes to anywhere.
According to these report they are also buying bunch of regional planes but like I said we have to wait and see if these planes end up in Iran. You are right about some of those restrictions but I honestly don’t think alcohol would be an issue, I drink but I wouldn’t consider having access to alcohol a major factor when purchasing a plane ticket. They do need to upgrade their facilities , join alliances with other airlines and more. Another factor is that these new planes are going to have entertainment consoles , what are they doing to show ? Iranian movies? Western movies that are censored?

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I read in BBC persian, that no Boeing or Airbus authority have confirmed this. In fact, it takes years to build the planes and you have to order them in advance. No official contract between Iran and these companies.

Most probably, Iran is going to lease the planes from another airline, which means they won't be brand new planes.