Volleyball- Rio Olympic qualification- Japan(May 28th-June 5th)

Oct 18, 2010
iran wins the semi-final against the host with authority even though
they did not have a great day offensively.but their blocking of the short
japan team saved the day and the 3 points are in the bag.
next up in the final is china.much more height than japan and a better
team overall.they are coming off a tough 2-3 loss to poland which means
they are as tired if not more tired than the the iranian boys.iran needs to
find it's offensive rhythm back and they need #10 for this match to put
pressure on chinese blockers.it's not going to be easy but iran should win
it since they got the better coaching.
iran wins the final and it was not easy.they started brightly and won the first
set but had a mental lapse in the middle of the 2nd set and lost it.the 3rd set
was the easiest for iran and they won it with authority.but again they failed to
respond in the 4th set and lost it badly.the 5th set started by iran going up 3
points but they gave up the lead and had to concentrate and work hard to win
decisive set.i thought the coach did very good subs.his standard sub of the regular
setter and spiker with reserves after point 20 is spot on.#13 has been error less in
serving and is a good setter same with #16 in serving and both add more height
to blocking.he makes no errors.they go by stats and percentages when it comes down
to the final points so he is doing the right thing.
iran has virtually qualified since the number of wins is the first criteria.iran has 4 wins
and australia and china have 2 each with 2 matches remaining.they play the first game
tonight and one will be eliminated.all iran needs to do is to beat the win less venezuela in
the last match and they can book their tickets to rio.or beat the already qualified poland
tonight.i think the former is more likely.and even if they lose both matches they still have
better ratio than both china and australia at the moment and they need a miracle to catch
up with iran.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
iran wins the final and it was not easy.they started brightly and won the first
set but had a mental lapse in the middle of the 2nd set and lost it.the 3rd set
was the easiest for iran and they won it with authority.but again they failed to
respond in the 4th set and lost it badly.the 5th set started by iran going up 3
points but they gave up the lead and had to concentrate and work hard to win
decisive set.i thought the coach did very good subs.his standard sub of the regular
setter and spiker with reserves after point 20 is spot on.#13 has been error less in
serving and is a good setter same with #16 in serving and both add more height
to blocking.he makes no errors.they go by stats and percentages when it comes down
to the final points so he is doing the right thing.
iran has virtually qualified since the number of wins is the first criteria.iran has 4 wins
and australia and china have 2 each with 2 matches remaining.they play the first game
tonight and one will be eliminated.all iran needs to do is to beat the win less venezuela in
the last match and they can book their tickets to rio.or beat the already qualified poland
tonight.i think the former is more likely.and even if they lose both matches they still have
better ratio than both china and australia at the moment and they need a miracle to catch
up with iran.
Are you sure about this?

So if China wins the last 2 games (3-0) and ends with 14 points and Iran wins one more game and ends with 13 points, then China is going to be ranked below Iran by virtue of having won total of 4 games and Iran 5? I'm not so sure about that!

houmanbahal

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2005
Iran need one more win to advance to RIO. So if we even lose against Poland which we will most likely, we can still advance if we win our last game against Venezuela which is doable.. So regardless of what happen in any other game, we can advance this way. There are other scenarios that we can also advance if other teams lose but who cares. lets just win our game and get it done.

Oct 18, 2010
Are you sure about this?

So if China wins the last 2 games (3-0) and ends with 14 points and Iran wins one more game and ends with 13 points, then China is going to be ranked below Iran by virtue of having won total of 4 games and Iran 5? I'm not so sure about that!
yes i am sure.take a look at the current standings.poland is on top
and already qualified because they have 5 wins even though france
has more points but only 4 wins.so the best china or australia can do
is to equal iran's 4 wins if iran lose both remaining matches.but even
in that case they need a minor miracle to overcome iran in set,ratio,
and points won.

http://worldoqt.japan.2016.men.fivb.com/en

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
We are almost there, i just hope they don't take the next two games lightly, specially last one vs Venezuela, we have done that before many times, is stupid that local media claims we already qualified, which we didn't yet. Hope players don't think same way.

ashtar

National Team Player
Aug 17, 2003
yes i am sure.take a look at the current standings.poland is on top
and already qualified because they have 5 wins even though france
has more points but only 4 wins.so the best china or australia can do
is to equal iran's 4 wins if iran lose both remaining matches.but even
in that case they need a minor miracle to overcome iran in set,ratio,
and points won.

http://worldoqt.japan.2016.men.fivb.com/en
Thanks

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Iran won first set 25-20, Poland already qualified, rested couple of starters in first set.Their best hitter and setter.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Congratulations to all, we had a long battle in 4th set and won it 34-32, over all 3-1 and we made history after 52 years.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Celebration at the end of the game

[video=youtube;ssa1Bz1X1Ew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssa1Bz1X1Ew[/video]

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I missed this game but wait wait... are you telling me we won against Poland??!!!! The same Poland who beat us last time?? One of the best teams in the world???!!!! The same team???

Edited: Ok, I just saw that Poland had already qualified and used their reserve players! But still... great achievement by Iran! Dameshoon garm!

Last edited: