British EU Referendum 23rd June Results - Brexit or Remain

Oct 18, 2010
this iranian official is basically saying what nigel farage said
this morning about this being uk's independence day.

Brigadier General Massoud Jazayeri, deputy chief of staff of Iran’s armed forces,characterized the U.K. vote as a rejection of U.S.-style policies.

“The only way for the European Union to survive is to state openly its independence from the White House,” he was quoted as saying by Iran’s semi-official Mehr news agency. “The desire of the people of England to exit the European Union in fact means that the majority of the people in that country are saying ‘no’ to the British government continuing to impose the will of America on the country.”

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Sad day for Britain and perhaps the beginning of the end of EU ....this will have a snow ball effect on other europeans like Holland ,France ,Austria and maybe Germany ...

The older generation in Britain mostly voted to leave betrayed the younger generation who mostly voted to remain . The Scots overwhemingly wanted to remain and are considering another independence vote to stay within EU.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Everyone i talk to is against the move, i have heard their views number of times , would love to hear why you voted LEAVE?
you probably talk to young people and you also probably talk to people in large metros like London or Manchester (Although even some metros like Birmingham voted for leave).

In my opinion the vote for leave or to remain was largely emotional. most people are not informed enough to to make such a decision.

on the other hand people notice that their representatives keep voting the way that liberal internationalism.

IMHO Britain probably had the best of EU. They were in the Common Market but they were not part of the Monetary union.

in the short term it is almost certain that there will be some kind of recession. in the medium term, I don't think anybody knows what's gonna exactly happen. the EU might unravel, on the other hand France, Netherlands and Germany might just hold on. if the EU falls apart in the medium Britain will be fine because it will be an equal.

but if it does not fall apart the article 50 negotiation might mean that Germany and France make sure that proper lesson is taught to all those that vote to exit the common market and they might force a massive recession on British.

What's sure is London will be the biggest loser of all. a whole lot of financial services jobs will probably move to Dublin or Frankfurt or Paris.

let's not forget that the UK has a lot of hidden exports through London being the historic Financial headquarter of the world.

Apr 15, 2016
Suisse
I voted LEAVE. It was a no-brainer for me.
I was all for the brits to leave. Infact i am for everyone else to leave aswell but i wonder why YOU did vote to exit? I ask because from the discussions in the past, you came across as very liberal (for my liking a bit too liberal) when it came to economies and the corporation power. The EU and the so called globalization has been a move to strenghten the capital world and to raise the power of the free markets to interact without having to hesaab pas daadan to national governments. The money flow in and out was alot easier for the global capital and the corporations within EU. The EU fooled its people big time and sent them after nokhod siaah. They tried to tell people how great it was to be within EU, they fooled them with bullshit stuff like no visas, no change of currency during their stay in other countries bla bla but they have hidden the true intentions of EU which was to disarm the national government and raise the power of coroprations. Example: In Germany, corporations like BMW, Mercedes, Bosch...they used to obey the german national tax regularities. EU made sure there was not borders for them. They started to take national governments as hostage. They started to dictate their will on german government, they refused to pay the regular taxes, they asked for more and more decrease of tax and once the german government refused to accept their fucked up will, they threatened to shut down the domestic production and go to other countries that allowed them to pay less to workers and asked for less taxes. This process has made sure the countries like Germany and their politics and governments became weaker and weaker and completely exposed to the will of corporations. The government in Germany and in close to all other "giving" countries in Europe are now completely in the hands of corporations. Governments of the EU are Puppets who have to say yes to everything the big corporations ask them to do just in order to keep them in country other wise they would take their productions elsewhere and leave behind whole lot of unemployed workers. Such Unions always work for the corporates and never for the masses. In Germany they didnt even allow people to decide themselves if they want to be part of this shit or not.

The only ones who love this EU (aside from Corporations and capital markets of course) are poor south europeans who are getting rich by the money handed out to them by countries like Germany and Co. I say to hell with EU. Let national governments, govern their countries again and watch for their own national interests instead of watching for the interests of the global corporations and protect them at the cost of tens of millions of people who are left with no other choice than to accept the rule of corporations.

There are portuguese, italian, spanish doctors who are thinking about leaving the country? Let them leave, fuck em. Britain was existent before those doctors came in and there is gonna be a Britain after they leave too.

Last edited:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I don't think we can mix up in the short term with the long term.

we know there were going to be short term ramifications. most folks think there will be at least some medium term economic losses for the UK.

but really long term (Ten years or longer ) nobody knows what this would mean.

people all through out the world are angry about globalization. and they just cant do anything about it.

they end of in voting for people like Trump or Tea Party or blah balh party in the UK or Netherlands to show it.

one thing is for sure the Media that is owned by corporate tycoons will spin this in a way where it favors their bosses.
Already, you lost your 5th spot and fell to 6th, 2 trillion lost in the world economy and about 680 billion in USA alone. Plus, now Scottland is going to have a refrendum and vote for independence. You are right, nobody knows the long term ramifications but it is alrady really bad. Already I looked at the conversion rate for USD to Pound it is at 1.3 USD to 1 BP and I heard it is at a 30 year low. It is going to get much worse and I don't know if they will be able to be the same. Time will tell but this does not look good.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Already, you lost your 5th spot and fell to 6th, 2 trillion lost in the world economy and about 680 billion in USA alone. Plus, now Scottland is going to have a refrendum and vote for independence. You are right, nobody knows the long term ramifications but it is alrady really bad. Already I looked at the conversion rate for USD to Pound it is at 1.3 USD to 1 BP and I heard it is at a 30 year low. It is going to get much worse and I don't know if they will be able to be the same. Time will tell but this does not look good.
The Scotland situation is not as simple.
The Westminister government is going to have recognize a new referendum and that won't be easy.
the home secretary form conservative government already said the referendum 1.5 years ago was once in a generation event.

but the banking situation is really up in the Air.
It was already reported that banks have put a hold on all mortgage origination.

but looking long-term it all depends on what kind of new treaty Britain can obtain.

AFRIRAN

IPL Player
Jun 8, 2010
When I see BBC just tearing his pants for two days now I convinced leaving EU was the better choice for British, my personal intrest is the fact that Cameron got screwed, he was US puppet and gate for US to get in to EU, that arrogant bastard is out now, sent a strong message to all dictators that you can not ignore people understanding and underestimate their power for long , I'm glad finally somewhere people talked...

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
The Scotland situation is not as simple.
The Westminister government is going to have recognize a new referendum and that won't be easy.
the home secretary form conservative government already said the referendum 1.5 years ago was once in a generation event.

but the banking situation is really up in the Air.
It was already reported that banks have put a hold on all mortgage origination.

but looking long-term it all depends on what kind of new treaty Britain can obtain.
That can work for or against them based on what nations feel about Britain. Already the BP is at a 30 year low I just checked only 1.3 USD to the BP. It hit America hard $680,000,000,000 my dad lost $30,000 in one day.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
That can work for or against them based on what nations feel about Britain. Already the BP is at a 30 year low I just checked only 1.3 USD to the BP. It hit America hard $680,000,000,000 my dad lost $30,000 in one day.
It is all paper money anyway. portfolios go up and down. I myself am looking to buy some VGK (the big euro Index).

Soon all the banks will find a way around. UK will announce a new treat with Republic of IReland and spain. and suddenly most worries might be mitigated.

don't look at the headlines so much.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
It is all paper money anyway. portfolios go up and down. I myself am looking to buy some VGK (the big euro Index).

Soon all the banks will find a way around. UK will announce a new treat with Republic of IReland and spain. and suddenly most worries might be mitigated.

don't look at the headlines so much.
I guess time will tell even my pops pointed out the stock market fluctuates and 5 years from now he could be up.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
I voted leave because I do not believe in big central government making decisions on behalf of people with whom they have no connection. I also believe that the EU as it stands is a failing project. In fact, as it gets closer and closer politically and economically, there will be more resentments and it will not be able to survive. A Union struck up by politicians does not mean the people of those countries suddenly start loving each other like countrymen.

The EU is fundamentally undemocratic and much of its processes are not transparent. It wastes million of Euros on Eurocrats who are paid to make decisions whether we like them or not.

Anyway, I don't believe this is a disaster. I am sure Britain have actually escaped a lot of pain by taking this decision. In years, the younger generation will thank their elders for voting out.

Chinaski,

I am all for free trade deals. But the EU has shackled this. Individual nations can not make their own trade deals without going through the EU first. Britain can trade with the rest of the world and the EU without being inside such a Union.

Nov 29, 2002
I voted leave because I do not believe in big central government making decisions on behalf of people with whom they have no connection. I also believe that the EU as it stands is a failing project. In fact, as it gets closer and closer politically and economically, there will be more resentments and it will not be able to survive. A Union struck up by politicians does not mean the people of those countries suddenly start loving each other like countrymen.

The EU is fundamentally undemocratic and much of its processes are not transparent. It wastes million of Euros on Eurocrats who are paid to make decisions whether we like them or not.

Anyway, I don't believe this is a disaster. I am sure Britain have actually escaped a lot of pain by taking this decision. In years, the younger generation will thank their elders for voting out.

Chinaski,

I am all for free trade deals. But the EU has shackled this. Individual nations can not make their own trade deals without going through the EU first. Britain can trade with the rest of the world and the EU without being inside such a Union.
The international banks planning their relocation to Frankfurt and Paris might disagree with you. They're packing their bags almost as quickly as the people who see this as a country with no future. And amazingly their primary reason was not the economy, but their feeling that this shifts the country towards an accepted xenophobia! Every single Irish guy I met today in Lyon (between 20-30 in total) before the game who works in the UK is planning to return to Ireland or leave to another country. And Chinaski, yes we do need european doctors - more than half of hospitals are staffed by EU people. And yes, we do need them now more than before because the health burden is much higher with ageing population, and the NHS is more underfunded than it has ever been before.

Sorry Behrooz, I thought you were being sarcastic before so I didn't respond. I'm amazed that as someone with insight in terms of having two cultures, you subscribe to this theory that Britain on its own has enough clout to have a role financially and politically, rather than as an influential and balancing component of the world's biggest trading bloc. This isn't 1953 where Britain has the power to control events to its financial and political benefit. Educated old brexiters have a fantasy that this historic "Great Britain" of ours has enough intrinsic talent and a hardworking population to remain successful. Are you telling me as a British Iranian that you share this rose-tinted view?

Yes EU is shit, like Fifa is shit. But I still want to go to world cups and Euros. And my analogy is the same for the EU. Dealing with the corruption and expenses of millions (or even if it were billions) stupid plutocrats is a drop in the ocean compared to the financial and sovereign ruin caused by this: a long recession, fractured country with xenophobia becoming accepted, loss of influence globally, loss of scotland, NI reunification jumping ahead a century,

This is absolute masochism. The old people have destroyed the futures of their children and grandchildren over a fear of immigrants.

The backwardness of people's mentalities:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...s-town-showered-eu-cash-votes-leave-ebbw-vale
http://www.theguardian.com/politics...o-brexit-result-reported-in-england-and-wales
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...516.html?campaign_id=A100&campaign_type=Email
https://www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/10153842562976939/?pnref=story

Last edited:

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
Dr. you are rushing to conclusions. There are lots of prediction for doom and gloom and I am quite confident that they will not materialise. London will be a great financial city, even greater after Brexit. People will still be wanting to come to these shores for work and for living a better life. In fact if anything, I bet the freedom from the EU will be a catalyst for many more to come.

There is time, don't rush. The long terms is what matters, not the short term drop in the value of pound sterling.

As for our children, I am sure Brexit will save them the burden of debt from countries such as Greece, Spain, Portugal, Ireland and anyone else whose economy hits rock bottom in the EU. Again, wait and see.

As for the EU funds going to places like Wales, where do you think the money came from in the first place? Does the EU have a money tree? No, the EU gets far more than that from the UK and then distributes it, having wasted much of it on pencil pushers and fat-cat bureaucrats.

Come on, some basic knowledge of economics please. posting links to the leftist Guardian is not good enough.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Great day for everyone. No one in the EU needs the UK for anything really. So they decide to leave, well, feel free. Those EU citizens who work there and pay taxes will eventually find a way to stay. The UK will need to find a solution for triggering article 50 first and whenever they do that, they are in the middle of a recession with raised unemployment and, well, I for one hope that no one in the EU comes up with the idea of offering them the same deals they offered Switzerland and Norway, because they decided to leave. It is a small market for European companies, they are manufacturing jack so they live off imports, most of the work force is tertiary sector so technically they are screwed. If however they survive and do better, maybe we could forget about the EU and top down nation states and for once go the other way and realize that small is beautiful.