Qatar may ask Iran for help in hosting the World Cup

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA
https://www.economist.com/news/midd...ind-its-preparations-tournament-qatar-may-ask

FOOTBALL’S World Cup in 2022, to be hosted by Qatar, was always billed as a regional event. Other countries in the Gulf offered hotel rooms and training facilities. The United Arab Emirates (UAE) said it would even host matches. But last June the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain broke off diplomatic relations with Qatar, angry about its support for Islamists and its ties to their nemesis, Iran.
On the sidelines a substitute is warming up: Iran. It is in early talks with Qatar to take on some of the hosting duties. Iran is already helping to feed Qatar amid a Saudi-led blockade. Its islands of Kish and Qeshm have hotels aplenty that could accommodate fans. Hooligans may be disappointed: Iran enforces sharia at its resorts, including a ban on alcohol.

Questions still abound over how Qatar, with no football culture and a stifling climate, won the rights. Including Iran would invite even more scrutiny. But Qatar may have little choice. Though it promised to build 100,000 hotel rooms by 2022, it will struggle to reach 45,000. Germany had 2m foreign spectators for its World Cup in 2006, and Russia hopes for more than 1m later this year.Qatar may come up short on stadiums, too. It says eight will be ready by 2022, not the 12 it promised. Iran is unlikely to host matches, but the mere possibility has turned its ban on women in stadiums into a political football at home.
Qatar plans to commission cruise liners and even to use migrant labour camps (upgraded, of course) to hold fans. Kuwait, Oman and Jordan, which have maintained ties with Qatar, could yet play a role. But some Gulf states show no sign of wanting to make up. On New Year’s Eve the UAE projected every Gulf country’s flag onto the Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building, except Qatar’s. Saudi Arabia refused to display it at a recent chess tournament in the kingdom.
Iran’s involvement could present other complications if America and Israel, both of which failed to qualify for this year’s World Cup, improve their form. Hassan al-Thawadi, who oversees Qatar’s World Cup planning, insists that all will be welcome. “If North and South Korea can come together for the winter Olympics,” he says, “so can the Middle East at the World Cup.”

Oct 1, 2004
Despite all the restrictions, I love it.
It would force Iran to build a few half dozen decent training facilities and relax some of the rules to make it less annoying for normal tourists.

Also it would piss off UAE and Saudi, so I laugh.

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA
It means if Israel qualifies for 2022 WC and Iran will have issue for hosting Israel. I do not think there is an issue for USA to play in Iran.

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA
I replied to Bacheh tehroon question on sentence. I am not worried and do not care. Even Iran become host there are other major issues like women attending without hejab in games.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I replied to Bacheh tehroon question on sentence. I am not worried and do not care. Even Iran become host there are other major issues like women attending without hejab in games.
Maybe if this thing gets serious, it forces Iran to finally change some rules for women, like letting them to enter the stadiums. Even today, foreign women can enter the stadiums. The rule seems to be only for Iranian women.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Interesting. But unless a deal would be reached by FIFA, I dont think Iran Sport Ministry can build several World-Standard stadiums within 4 years. Even Azadi stadium has problems.

Maybe if this thing gets serious, it forces Iran to finally change some rules for women, like letting them to enter the stadiums. Even today, foreign women can enter the stadiums. The rule seems to be only for Iranian women.
Yeah as Ali jan, their only problem is Iranian women. Like always, they'll let foreign women enter the stadium, but Iranian women will be kept at home watching it at home. Faghat doshmanishoon ba mardom khodemooneh..:(

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Hey Pan Arabist writer at the economist, it's the Persian Gulf. The writer is most likely a Pan Arabist he or she remained anonymous.
@Niloufar jan you are right and actually one of the Iranians who is in charge of this, gave the reasoning behind it. When Iran played Korea in the World Cup four years ago, they let Korean women in. A reporter asked, 'Why don't you allow Iranian women in but you allow Korean women to watch the games." His answer, "It's because Korean women don't understand Iranian men." I will say this much, I have been to Azadi and I would not want to bring my family to the satidum because it is certainly not a family friendly environment(last time I was there was 06 ACL Esteghlal v Al Itihad), about pre Navy days.
This does not come as a surprise and btw KSA is the #1 sponsor of state terrorism so for them to talk Qatar being a state sponsor of terrorism is a joke. UAE and the other P Gulf countries are falling in ranks. It is no surprise to me that Qatar government officials are now looking to Iran for help. Iran and Russia were the only two nations who helped Qatar but Russians always have an ulterior motive. They wanted to have ther navy in Qatar's waterways and build a base in their country. Iranians were coming from a good place, the Russians were thinking about themselves.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Who's Asali? Ali cheshash asalieh?
:O :D haha, ajab badjensie! Man key neveshtam Asali?! :)))) If u want to call Ali, "Asali", by all means! ;) These male crushes are completely legal everywhere now! ;)

Hey Pan Arabist writer at the economist, it's the Persian Gulf. The writer is most likely a Pan Arabist he or she remained anonymous.
@Niloufar jan you are right and actually one of the Iranians who is in charge of this, gave the reasoning behind it. When Iran played Korea in the World Cup four years ago, they let Korean women in. A reporter asked, 'Why don't you allow Iranian women in but you allow Korean women to watch the games." His answer, "It's because Korean women don't understand Iranian men." I will say this much, I have been to Azadi and I would not want to bring my family to the satidum because it is certainly not a family friendly environment(last time I was there was 06 ACL Esteghlal v Al Itihad), about pre Navy days.
This does not come as a surprise and btw KSA is the #1 sponsor of state terrorism so for them to talk Qatar being a state sponsor of terrorism is a joke. UAE and the other P Gulf countries are falling in ranks. It is no surprise to me that Qatar government officials are now looking to Iran for help. Iran and Russia were the only two nations who helped Qatar but Russians always have an ulterior motive. They wanted to have ther navy in Qatar's waterways and build a base in their country. Iranians were coming from a good place, the Russians were thinking about themselves.
Great point as Persian Gulf. :)
yeah thats a pathetic excuse officials use. In fact, if it was free for all, men wouldnt curse as much during the game. Iran stadiums were free for both men and women 40 yrs ago, and from what I hear, it was never an issue for women feeling uncomfortable.
+ If presence of men, or their conversations/cursing is the issue, hey men are also in Taxis, streets, workplaces, etc. Should they seperate men and women in those public places too?! Thats just a lame excuse.
Its really sad that even Saudi Arabia is being more progressive than Iran in that sense.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Hejab will be an issue.
most likely teams will practice in UAE and Kuwait and maybe some african teams in iran.
Kish might have good facilities but other Kharq defenitly does not and neither does Queshm.

I can see Bushehr and Kish hosting 2 Practice teams. maybe Abadan a 3rd one. but that's it.

more likely Fifa will have to just hand over the worldcup a European country if the political situation in Qatar is not resolved by then.

at any rate. the whole place is just like one country. the stadiums will be with 30km of each other. it is just a joke.

on other hand Qatar can sue fifa if they can cancel it and Qatar is stuck with all stadiums which they will never need anyway.