Ali Karimi's IFF conflict is escalating

zoozanagheh

Bench Warmer
Feb 6, 2005
Thanks for the links ,specially the one about that Abedini scum and hypocracy of Ali Karimi who stayed cleared of perspolis dirty dealings .

I was watching Karimi's interview on the plane back from WC2006 and what he was saying about Branko and why he avoided returning to Iran to answer questions , but now it all seems humpty dumpty with Branko though ...
Interesting that you brought up his interview about Branko back then and his coziness with him now, the opportunist Branko who was labeled as a cowrad when he was at the helm of TM has called Karimi "a brave student of mine"! Of course he knows better since back in WC2006 Karimi showed how brave he is by dividing the team into rival factions and kicking the medical bag next to TM bench when he got substituted.

Would you mind posting that interview? I would like to refresh my memory.

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
I think a lot of you guys are fixated in making something he wasnt set out for. I think Salah is superior than Karimi in many ways.
This really a bad example used for bashing an nothing else. Accept he wasn't up to it and stop wishing & whining.

karimi could have been the iranian version of mo if he was smarter,less lazy and had any drive in him..

Last edited:

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
^Point taken but we're not dealing with teenage players, Iranians are tough, players know what they deal with (political and social situation, ppl and expectations and their overall capability) and the coach is not born yesterday; all nice arguments but they get paid to be professional' ; lets expect and believe they can do that otherwise we're wasting time. At best we beat Morocco and lets' hope for more but lets not be unrealistic.
Absolutely! Even before all this mess, nobody expected any better than beating Marocco (Personally, I don't think we can even beat Marocco as their players are way better than ours). But the best we can hope for is a good presence in the WC, like against Argentina back in 2014 which gained us world wide respect. Even if we lose all 3 games, at least we leave the WC with our heads held high. If the whole TM, including the staff are not completely focused, not even this can happen.

As you say, TM staff (specially CQ) are professional enough to deal with this. But why would we bring this upon ourselves right before the WC anyways?! Why not wait with it a few more months and then attack whomever we want?! Unless of course as I said, there is a political agenda to easier get rid of CQ after the WC without the people doing a riot in the streets!

Nov 29, 2002
What is still interesting for me, is that all our star players are still part of the "establishment" i.e. any small rebellions hasn't impacted them too much..

We don't have anyone like the Hubails:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...star-arrested-in-crackdown-still-in-detention

Or Turkey's Daei Hakan Sukur who can't even step in Turkey:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/18/hakan-sukur-turkey-fallen-hero-exile

Imagine if that happened for Ali Daei!

I know this is controversial to say, but Iranians are more motivated by money than our neighbours. Just my observation.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
What is still interesting for me, is that all our star players are still part of the "establishment" i.e. any small rebellions hasn't impacted them too much..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...star-arrested-in-crackdown-still-in-detention

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/18/hakan-sukur-turkey-fallen-hero-exile

I know this is controversial to say, but Iranians are more motivated by money than our neighbours. Just my observation.
Pouladi? ;) Well...not the same thing but....

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
Bro dont worry, even if we flop against libya and Tounesia , we should get it together by the third game and the coach will be pumping fist again all the way to Kremlin, I assure you.

یران – لیبی، ۲۶ اسفند، تهرا
ایران – تونس، ۳ فروردین ۹۷، تونس
ایران – الجزایر، ۷ فروردین ۹۷، وین

But why would we bring this upon ourselves right before the WC anyways?! Why not wait with it a few more months

zoozanagheh

Bench Warmer
Feb 6, 2005
^Point taken but we're not dealing with teenage players, Iranians are tough, players know what they deal with (political and social situation, ppl and expectations and their overall capability) and the coach is not born yesterday; all nice arguments but they get paid to be professional' ; lets expect and believe they can do that otherwise we're wasting time. At best we beat Morocco and lets' hope for more but lets not be unrealistic.

اساسنامه ٦‌سال است تاییدیه فیفا ندارد به این معناست که تخلف صورت گرفته و اگر فیفا متوجه این اتفاق شود، ممکن است فوتبال کشور نابود شود

HOw important and critical is this? am sure FIFA has a clue.

اگر قرار باشد علی کریمی هم از مشکلات نگوید، پس چه کسی باید از دردهای فوتبال برای مردم بگوید؟! یک لحظه فکر کنیم که کریمی هم امروز مانند بسیاری از آدم‌های این فوتبال، اهل سازش و مصلحت‌اندیشی و سکوت برای کسب منفعت بود آن وقت دیگر مردم نمی‌دانستند در یک قرارداد به صورت غیرقانونی و مشکوک به شرکتی مانند ایران‌نوین از حق باشگاه‌ها ٦٩‌میلیارد تومان در دو‌سال خسارت داده شده است. اگر کریمی نبود، کسی نمی‌دانست قرارداد ٦٠٩٠ که سه‌ساله امضا شد باید در ١٠ ماه ابتدایی ١٤‌میلیارد تومان پول عاید فوتبال می‌کرد اما مدیران فقط ٢‌میلیارد پول درآوردند.

این کریمی بود که به مردم گفت از اسپانسر‌ سال قبل تبلیغات محیطی هم ٣٥‌میلیارد تومان پول باشگاه‌ها گرفته نشده است. کریمی بود که مدیران فدراسیون را مجبور به پاسخگویی درباره ٧٢‌هزار دلار گمشده پخش بازی‌های تیم‌ملی کرد

هیچ چیزی برای یک جامعه مهمتر از شفافیت نیست. پس مسابقات تیم‌ملی را بهانه نکنیم برای مطرح نکردن سوالات مهم علی کریمی!

http://www.sarpoosh.com/football/football-controversies/football-controversies961107351.html
We are dealing with two issues here.
One is Karimi's criticism of IFF: shortcomings, mismanagement, fraud , and so fort, some of which were mentioned to certain extent in some media outlets in the past but never got proper explanation from IFF or there was not enough followups. Karimi also lacked the ability and knowledge to followup on Saket's responses on some cases (despite being guided and heped by others during the show, and instead would jump to another topic to put pressure on Saket and discredit IFF on all aspects , or would just say "I was not convinced with the answer"!), he brought up those issues along with some new details in few cases. Over all it was positive to bring these issues up and question IFF in a televised debate, however I wish he was better prepared or at least had someone more qualified by his side to argue and debate the issues for him.

The second part was Karimi's acquisition of CQ. He attacked the coach without providing any evidence to support his claims. It is mind boggling that though Karimi was on a popular public platform to criticize IFF and its corruption, he went on attacking the one person who has been fighting the corruption and mismanagement at IFF for past 7 years! The same person who voiced and fought for quality of TM jerseys, lack of training grass field (which made IFF to repair Azadi training fields though still not ready), fought for and created PEC (interestingly Karimi does not mention how the earlier designated facility was given to Afazeli's wife to turn it into a semi business practice and also divert half a million dollar of TM's FIFA given money for their expenses) , cut the dallas hand off TM, fought hard with back-warded and fraudulent elements at IFF and pushed them out like Asadi, Abedini, Torabian, etc... who else has been fighting the corruption and mismanagement as much as CQ within our football industry?

And i am not even mentioning the results CQ has gotten with TM (do you remember any time in post revolution era that we qualified to WC without getting heartburn or stroke? and back to back qualification?), the discipline he inserted in the team, raised value of TM jersey, fought bazikon-salary, motivated young players to develop further...
He also paid salary of the staff out of his pocket while not being paid from IFF for months, arranged camps and friendlies at minimum expense to cover for incompetency and inability of IFF,....

And then Karimi comes out and questions his vacation time or his salary! He basically gargles what CQ's foes such as MayeliKohan and doroogh-varzeshies had said in the past. What questioning CQ time off buys him now? What does he expect to happen even if he has a just claim? Does not he realize that TM and CQ will be busy with camps and preparations for WC for the next few months? Does not he realize that he realize that he is just creating hashiye for TM and disturbing the atmosphere at a time we need to be united for our TM? I guess not.

Karimi had no problem joining TM staff or becoming head coach of Khoneh-be-Khoneh, Naft,and Sepid-rood without having the proper license and training, but he goes on to criticize CQ for number of staff TM needs, as well as hiring someone without adequate credentials and accusing him of nepotism without giving a shred of proof.

The guy quits TM as staff with out any explanation, and then questions why the staff were let go after Branko's fiasco.

To me Karimi is no hero or a responsible person. He has shown he can be very careless with consequences of his actions. You can see that in his early career when he attacked the referee at an international level, embarrassing and hurting the team for the remainder of the games and getting banned for a year. Later on at WC2006 we saw his action in being a part of division within TM camp and being disrespectful to the team by showing his objection through kicking the medical bag. We know how awful thoes displays were. And now, with these repeated non-sense and new accusations of nepotism and ethical short coming of CQ when TM is having recovery camp and have very crucial preparation ahead of it to be able to play in the hardest ever WC group for Iran. Does Karimi even think about results of his actions or he just does not have any control on lashing out his vengeance?

Do not get me wrong, I like Karimi as a gifted player, simple and a person with a good hearth, However he is too emotional and have lots of mis-information and misgivings. He very much reminds me of how Azizi was in certain ways: very developed and talent in the field, nagging and mixing up wrong and right perhaps due to under developed comprehension abilities outside the field. He is a rebellious and outspoken type who has low tolerance for authority and discipline, despite technical talent lacks work ethics to reach his potentials, and hence these failures (whether as a player not becoming who he could be or as coach who has failed in 3 clubs so far) along with his character shortcomings make him to show so much anger and aggression (look at his interviews where he drops 90s microphone or the way he responded the other day about disturbing TM peace and unity). His vision and knowledge is limited and hence can not recognize right from wrong at all the time. For example when he stands up to sardar Ajoorloo for drinking water after practice during Ramadan, he falls in the arms of another sardar: Hedayati who indeed is a corrupt and money-launderer. And now he wants to fight against fraud, corruption and mismanagement, but he becomes a tool in hands of the same fraudulent and back-warded elements such as Abedini and Mayelikohan, and Instead voice vendetta against the one person who has stood up against those same thing for the past 7 years and brought back a sense proud to us.

Karimi's fan and supporters should ask themselves the question of why bother involve CQ in your battle with IFF at all? Did not he have enough and more substantial and important cases to expose them? Why divert the attention, specially at the WC preparation time, to someone who has been on our side and has brought us good results and had fought the shortcomings of IFF for past few year? Is there a personal agenda behind this diversion? At least take a look at Karimi's supporters when it comes to his claims against CQ and open your eyes to the long list of CQ's old foes like Mayeli Kohan, Zolfagharnasab, Khakpour ... the same people who are either tied to the corrupted elements who are forced out ever since CQ took over the helm at TM or they have a long resume of failure and embarrassment when involved at coaching national teams.

Last edited:

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
he went on attacking the one person who has been fighting the corruption and mismanagement at IFF for past 7 years! The same person who voiced and fought for quality of TM jerseys, lack of training grass field (which made IFF to repair Azadi training fields though still not ready), fought for and created PEC (interestingly Karimi does not mention how the earlier designated facility was given to Afazeli's wife to turn it into a semi business practice and also divert half a million dollar of TM's FIFA given money for their expenses) , cut the dallas hand off TM, fought hard with back-warded and fraudulent elements at IFF and pushed them out like Asadi, Abedini, Torabian, etc... who else has been fighting the corruption and mismanagement as much as CQ within our football industry?
And as said before, the funny thing is, Karimi chose to attack IFF at a time when CQ did not have any complains about IFF for a very long time. At a time when IFF have actually managed to get us fairly good friendlies during all Fifa days. Something that has never happened before! You don't see the small unprofessional problems of the past anymore. No communication or transport problems, no jersey problems, no training camp problems, etc.

Why would he chose to attack IFF now rather than during Kafashian era? As said, this whole thing stinks like a dead fish.

zoozanagheh

Bench Warmer
Feb 6, 2005

You are right that business minded characters get along with the regime, and many - after years of seeing years of war and oppression - tend to just think of themselves first, but I think we should also consider that we have a more conservative society in terms of openly expressing oneself politly as a result the vey high repercussion it could have. After all, we had only a very very short period of semi-democracy for past half of a century with very heavy handed and brutal suppression enforced by the theocratic regime (during the classic dictatorship of Shah is was not easy neither). In contrast Turkey has had a different and more open and democratic process in place in recent decades, though it is now going towards a totalitarian neo-Ottoman regime.

Keep in mind, we have had sportsmen and specially footballers who have stood up against the regime or its values one way or another in the past who also sacrificed their position or even lives for it. You gave me an idea to write about this more, perhaps in a separate thread in the near future.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
Don't be so sure. He's already in Hossein Hedayati's gang. I hope you know who he is. Karimi has kept silent about Hedayati's insane theft and corruption and has praised him numerous times. He's not into religious Khayemali, but he sure is no stranger to corruption. Add his ties to Abedini to the list as well.

He's not as innocent as you want to believe he is. This goes waaaaay back to the days of him and Kavianpour building condominiums in their mid 20s.
The condominium business is as far as I know the reason for his breakup of friendship with Kavianpour. Whatever the guy did and is, he knows the fine lines(Corruption might lead to the murder of people suffering but it's something different to outright killers with blood on their hands) he should not pass in terms of ass kissing, which I take over most people in the country.

But Hakan Sukur's downfall is being faithful to Gulen, who is another asshole. It's like Daei during Green riots being forced out of the country for not kissing Ahmadinejad's hand but kissing Shahroudi's.

I know how Gulen organized students in Europe who didn't study in Turkey because of the headscarf ban. Gulen is another mad person.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Interesting that you brought up his interview about Branko back then and his coziness with him now, the opportunist Branko who was labeled as a cowrad when he was at the helm of TM has called Karimi "a brave student of mine"! Of course he knows better since back in WC2006 Karimi showed how brave he is by dividing the team into rival factions and kicking the medical bag next to TM bench when he got substituted.

Would you mind posting that interview? I would like to refresh my memory.
Here you are sir

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
^ THe use of that kicking the medical bag is getting old and frankly way overexaggerated in explaining and justifying our failures in the past. What hurt us more is Daei taking a walk in the park at the games and the coach letting it.

AK is wrong in taking issue with Branco traveling to own country after the games, he's wrong in many arguments but I believe currently has the right beef with IFF>

@zooz Thank you for the long post, many valid observations and points.

Last edited:

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Ali Karimi has always been controversial. And his debate with Saket didnt have enough proofs as journalists would, but what really stood out was IFF's regulations not being verified/approved by FIFA (Something IFF had lied about it all along) and the money being pocketed by IFF somewhere after previous WC qualification. He had proof on those and it turned out very interesting.

CQ's harsh and insulting words for Ali Karimi during the program was unnecessary though. His name calling backfired on CQ after that.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
the money being pocketed by IFF somewhere after previous WC qualification.
But he needs to address Kafashian and company for these things. Not poor Taj and Saket who have done a fairly good job as far as TM is concerned. and he should have done it already at that time. Not now when the WC is a few months away. or at the very least he should have waited and brought this up after the WC! The timing is highly suspicious IMO.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Ali Karimi has always been controversial. And his debate with Saket didnt have enough proofs as journalists would, but what really stood out was IFF's regulations not being verified/approved by FIFA (Something IFF had lied about it all along) and the money being pocketed by IFF somewhere after previous WC qualification. He had proof on those and it turned out very interesting.

CQ's harsh and insulting words for Ali Karimi during the program was unnecessary though. His name calling backfired on CQ after that.

Nilou jan, it was Karimi who started the insults and point fingering and accusations.

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
you know if we listened to the same discussion, how's raising a question an insult .. some of you die-hard fans of coach need to grow some skin.

And fact is there are almost half dozen cases in Iran football where a family member is brought is without formal training. I think Karimi's jab is really getting at that and asking for accountability; its his view, he was given podium to say what he sees/feels/hears.

Nilou jan, it was Karimi who started the insults and point fingering and accusations.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
you know if we listened to the same discussion, how's raising a question an insult .. some of you die-hard fans of coach need to grow some skin.

And fact is there are almost half dozen cases in Iran football where a family member is brought is without formal training. I think Karimi's jab is really getting at that and asking for accountability; its his view, he was given podium to say what he sees/feels/hears.
He accused Carlos Q of corruption and questioned his integrity and commitment live on TV and you are telling me to grow some thick skin ,rather have thick skin than a thick skull like legend Karimi .

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Something I don't understand is many football experts in Iran, accusing CQ of not getting an Iranian coach so he could learn from him and use and transfer his knowledge after he's gone. Ferdosipour was asking him about this before the last WC, many others and now Karimi have accused him of that as well. But where do these people think poor Markar Aghajanian come from? He has been with CQ for years!!! Don't they count him as an Iranian since he's Armenian or simply because he's not included in their mafia gang? Doesn't a coach get to select someone he himself feels most comfortable with?