Legionnaires thread 2017-18, News, Updates, Live Reports

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
The bottom line is JB is not a striker and yet he finished top scorer(21 goals and 14 assists) in a decent European league. That’s a big achievement.
Having said all that I’ve been disappointed with him at international level only 4 goals in 36 matches only 1 goal from long range and that was against Qatar (2018 WC Qualifier 2-0 win)in Azadi stadium, maybe something to do with CQ. He has assisted a few goals in the last 3 friendly matches though. I just really hope he can shine in the World Cup and joins a big European club.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I don’t think so mate, no Maldives, Guam or Laos in the Bundesliga or World Cup.lol
It's not like the other TM forwards did not play against Maldives, Guam or Laos?! If it was only about that, all of them would have scored over 100 goals. I think you are being very unfair to Daei and his achievements now dude. The shots with his head and his nose for goal were absolute world class. You need to include playing time in your judgment or else not even Messi would have a chance of topping any scoring chart?

I think JB has done a tremendous thing, specially as a winger. but you don't need to put others who've not even been in the same situation down to bring him up.

As for Jahanbakhsh and his TM games, I have a feeling he struggles against compact defense lines. but since there is no proof of that yet, I just hope I'm wrong. Let's see how he does in a better league.

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
I don’t think so mate, no Maldives, Guam or Laos in the Bundesliga or World Cup.lol
Reguard UEFA football, Daei played for Bayern and Hertha. He scored twice against Chelsea and also scored against AC Milan?
Am I a Daei fan? No. You can either be Daei fan or Karimi fan.
I have always been Karimi fan, but having said that, Ali Daei scored against any one Iran faced. It isn't realy his fault Iran didn't met bigger teams.
Here is the list of countries Daei scored against.
Bahrain - Bosnia - Canada - Chin Taipe - Costa Rica - Equador - Egypt - Guam - Iraq - Japan - Jordan - Kuwait - Kyrgyzstan - Laos - Lebanon - Lybia - Macedonia - Maldives - Mexico - Nepal - North Korea - Oman - Panama - Paraguay - Qatar - Saudi - South Korea - Sri Lanka - Syria - Tajikestan - Togo - Ukraine - United Arab Emirates - Uzbekistan

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Reguard UEFA football, Daei played for Bayern and Hertha. He scored twice against Chelsea and also scored against AC Milan?
I have always been Karimi fan, but having said that, Ali Daei scored against any one Iran faced. It isn't realy his fault Iran didn't met bigger teams.
Bahrain - Bosnia - Canada - Chin Taipe - Costa Rica - Equador - Egypt - Guam - Iraq - Japan - Jordan - Kuwait - Kyrgyzstan - Laos - Lebanon - Lybia - Macedonia - Maldives - Mexico - Nepal - North Korea - Oman - Panama - Paraguay - Qatar - Saudi - South Korea - Sri Lanka - Syria - Tajikestan - Togo - Ukraine - United Arab Emirates - Uzbekistan
That's like 3-4 goals in how many games in Germany? How many goals in two world cups?
Don't get me wrong he was a top striker for us up until 2001_2, not after that and not much to shout about against big teams.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Don't get me wrong he was a top striker for us up until 2001_2, not after that and not much to shout about against big teams.
Oghab joon, akhe after that he wasn't even playing in Europe! and it wasn't because of his "not to shout about" qualities against European teams that he was recruited to Bayern Munich.

Ali Daei was a pain in the a$$ in TM when he kept playing until he was 37. and sometimes he was even the 12th player of the opponents. but you have to be fair and give credit when it's due. The discussion here is about his time and goals in Europe.

Last edited:

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
Brando aziz
Daei was a good servant for Iran till 2001but has a Padded record and was eager to play every match even against crap teams can’t remember him rested, abit of a greedy morde khor up front on his own and was the reason in his time we struggled to produce another decent international forward till Hashemian came along I can remember Daei missing a match and that was against Portugal in WC2006(dropped imo), i think Mayeli Kohan dropped him once as well but not sure about that but they had some kind of dispute . Let’s talk facts

I just scanned through his record

Goals against v.poor Asian teams:
8 goals vs Laos(3 matches)
8 goals vs Maldives(4 matches)
6 goals vs Lebanon(were garbage at the time)
5 goals v Chinese Taipa
5 goals vs Nepal
5 goals vs Sri Lanka(1 match)
5 goals vs Lebanon
4 goals vs Guam(1 match)
3 goals vs Tajikistan
1 kyrkizistan

That’s 50 fucking goals . 50 goals against utter shit teams in handful of matches... come on guys
LooooL

Now let’s look at some of those mighty non Asian teams he scored against, based on FACTS:

1 Bosnia : in 2001 they weren’t very good didn’t have Pjanic Dzeko or Vidad Ibisivic did they? their ranking was outside top 100

2 Canada: LoL

3 Ecuador : In 2000 they had never qualified for a WC not very good at the time also I remember then playing Iran with mostly Youth players. Even now they only rely on home matches in a very high Altitude that’s how they qualify nowadays FACT!!!

4 Mexico : A very nice pen kick in a friendly match I can still remember it.

5 Panama:In 2004 they had never came close to qualifying for any WC not a good team. 2018 WC is their First.

Memorable matches + Goals against Good teams:

I give him credit where it’s due
4 Goals against South Korea in96 his best performance ever that long range shot was amazing. He was unstoppable that day and made the Korean manger Cry.
2 Good goals against Saudi at home 2002 WC qualifier. A few good goals vs Japan
including the header in the 98 play off
Incredible header against powerful Egypt
And of course that tap in goal against Ukraine.

Last edited:

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
Ta’asob bayad Kenar gozasht va haghighato guabool kard. Daei is a nice man has done a lot of charity work including helping Kermanshah people recently but had a padded goal record a forward who failed to score in 5 WC matches BUT enjoyed playing Maldives Nepal and Laos and of course I forgot GUAM. Fact!

109 -50 = 59 goals

May I add those piss poor teams during Daei’s Era have improved nowadays for example Maldives don’t lose 18-0 any more and top teams struggle to scored more than 4 against the likes of Nepal and India. Also nowadays poor teams have to go through couple of qualifying rounds to get to play Bigger teams it’s wasnt the case in late 90’s and early 2000 as far as I remember.

So Daei’s fans should calm down because his record is safe for a long time.

Last edited:

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Well I'm not a Daei fan and frankly I don't care for either him or Karimi. but as you say facts should be facts so let's talk facts.

You still haven't answered the question, how come our other forwards before Ali Daei, could not score 50 goals against those lousy teams? and those goals were scored before he got useless in TM so the age thing is not a factor. He didn't even score over 20 goals in his last few years.

Also how come he was recruited to Europe and later to Bayern Munich? Do you think it was the 50 goals Daei scored against those weak teams that impressed the hell out of the Bayern Officials? :)

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I give him credit where it’s due
4 Goals against South Korea in96 his best performance ever that long range shot was amazing. He was unstoppable that day and made the Korean manger Cry.
2 Good goals against Saudi at home 2002 WC qualifier. A few good goals vs Japan
including the header in the 98 play off
Incredible header against powerful Egypt
And of course that tap in goal against Ukraine.
and how about the goals he scored against UAE in the second leg of the WCQ2001 when we played with 10 men? Yes I know that's a weak team but he was suspended in the first leg and TM did play out of this world against them, yet no one but Bagheri could score a lousy goal to win 1-0. Karimi himself at his top form had trillion one on one chances but could not score. The next leg Daei comes in, and he scores 2 goals with 10 men! We won 3-0.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Oghab joon, akhe after that he wasn't even playing in Europe! and it wasn't because of his "not to shout about" qualities against European teams that he was recruited to Bayern Munich.

Ali Daei was a pain in the a$$ in TM when he kept playing until he was 37. and sometimes he was even the 12th player of the opponents. but you have to be fair and give credit when it's due. The discussion here is about his time and goals in Europe.
Lol at Daei was a pain in the ass, yes he was for realistic team melli fans after 2001! 😃

He was not very painful for our opponents, Mexican centre back after realising Daei is in no condition to hurt them left him on his own to go and score a goal against us!

Last edited:

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Sly
Well I'm not a Daei fan and frankly I don't care for either him or Karimi. but as you say facts should be facts so let's talk facts.

You still haven't answered the question, how come our other forwards before Ali Daei, could not score 50 goals against those lousy teams? and those goals were scored before he got useless in TM so the age thing is not a factor. He didn't even score over 20 goals in his last few years.

Also how come he was recruited to Europe and later to Bayern Munich? Do you think it was the 50 goals Daei scored against those weak teams that impressed the hell out of the Bayern Officials? :)
Jan I think he answered your question, it's because he played in every minute of every game!
No other forward before or after him had the luxury of having it his own way and the authority that he enjoyed, he was Branko's boss!

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Back home: Alireza Jahanbakhsh, Ehsan Hajsafi and Karim Ansarifard

Qatar (PAG and Taremi): Both will play in cup semi final May 11 and 12. If they make it to final they will play May 19.

Russia (Sardar, Ezzat and Milad): Last day will be May 13 for all three.

Netherlands (Ghoochan-Nejad): Heerenveen in Europa League playoff against Utrecht (May 9 & 12)

Belgium (Rezaei and Rezayian): Three more games in playoff finishing May 19 (Kaveh) and May 20 (Ramin)

Greece(Masoud): AEK in cup final May 12

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Back home: Alireza Jahanbakhsh, Ehsan Hajsafi and Karim Ansarifard

Qatar (PAG and Taremi): Both will play in cup semi final May 11 and 12. If they make it to final they will play May 19.

Russia (Sardar, Ezzat and Milad): Last day will be May 13 for all three.

Netherlands (Ghoochan-Nejad): Heerenveen in Europa League playoff against Utrecht (May 9 & 12)

Belgium (Rezaei and Rezayian): Three more games in playoff finishing May 19 (Kaveh) and May 20 (Ramin)

Greece(Masoud): AEK in cup final May 12
Rezaei and Rezaeian finish their games so late!

Feb 4, 2005
Last week of russian league. Ezzat on the bench as his team, Amkar is playing Milad Mohammadi’s who is among the starters. It is 0-0 after 60 minutes. Sardar also started for Rubin and that game is also scoreless.