Thoughts on Beiranvand

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
If you truly want to breakdown a penalty in terms of probabilities and factors involved that needs to take place there will be many contributing factors that will make up the penalty and what the results will be.

Yes luck is definitely a factor which takes place, there is experience, fitness, mental toughness, mental manipulation, goalie and shooter error, being aware of the history of the goalie by the player and the goalie knowing the player, and, and, and. What I am trying to get to is that you can actually come up with a formula which can give a value to the factors that take place. Now Beiranvand by moving on the line and being very active and at the same time stepping back attempted to push some of these factors more in his favor. He attempted to slightly give himself some edge and at the end of the day it worked. That's how I saw his movement and being very active on that line being ready to jump and also get psychologically psyched to perform. You see many goalies that just stand on the line and slightly move to left or right. Or those that are just focused. It can be a matter of style but for him it was how he got psychologically ready and I am sure in training this was something that has been discussed by CQ many times.

During the Asian Cup Haghighi got scored on every single Iraqi PK and didn't even dive in the right direction. How shitty is that. Beiranvand saving this was indeed a masterpiece in our eyes under that kind of pressure. If anyone can share Beiranvand's record on PK at club level and national if he has stood in goal for other pk's for NT I really appreciate it. I don't recall seeing him against another PK before.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
One thing that is really difficult to communicate to an average iranian is there a difference between having a good Tournament and having a good career.

There has been plenty of Iranian athletes who have isolated performances (wrestling, football, basketball,.. )

Being a great in your career is very different.

In Football we have only had Nekounam, Mahadavikia which managed to continuous acceptable performance over a long term.

if Jahanbakhsh keeps his professionalism for another 2 years he will join that club.

We can talk about Rezazadeh (2 olympic gold medals), khadem (2 medals), Hadi Saiee ( 2 medals)

saying mahdavikia had the greatest career of any iranian footballer does not mean he had more talent than Khodad or Karimi.

it just means that he good quality and had a consistent commitment to quality.

If Beyranvand has a great Asian cup we can start talking about him as somebody who might have a potential to be a great keeper.
All he has had is above average tournament.
Yes when you compare to him Mirzapour he is saint.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
The guy surpassed all expectation and then some in his performance. If it wasn't for the freaking defensive fluke on just the 1 play against Spain he took 1 goal in and Iran would have gone to the 2nd round. And saved a PK from one of world's greatest. He very good in my book and his exits and positioning and leadership in the box was very good too. Guys we need to give credit where its due and don't forget where he came from and what he feels is comfortable for him and his family too at this time. What we are forgetting that with these sanctions and all the shit that's going on who knows what will happen and if some issues will come up with these guys getting their salaries or being able to transfer it to Iran. Basically lots of uncertainty in the near to mid future if you look at where Iran is currently headed.

His comments about the Rahbor were pretty shitty but as said we don't know the background and under what circumstances it was made.
Exactly right. He was great at the world cup. I'm not sure what matches some friends here were watching but he had several saves in every game. He more than did his job and looked great in goal.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
No one is destroying him Sajjad jan. But people talking about him as a top 4-5 keeper in Wc is just beyond me. Now as i said the guy for the rest of his life will give speech about how he stopped CR7 p.k. lol
Felan ke bishtar vaghtesho to tv hast ta tamrin kardan.
He has every right to say he stopped a ronaldo penalty, don't you think.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
Pooya jan, i guess no one ever can question my passion for TM. Yes i was extremely happy when he saved the p.k. i was waiting for these 3 matches 4 years. When no one knew about his name, i was the first one who mentioned him here when he took over no1 job in Naft and as i have said: you will hear more about this guy. He has an athletic physique and talent is there while for some people here it is black and white, for me he is not as good as many here get excited about and he is not as bad as some claimed. He like many Iranian players is not mentally strong. This is crucial for keeper. He had lots of up and down in his career. Lets hope for sake of TM is more up than down from now on.
I disagree, based on his life experience, aptitude for hard work and his ability to improve his performance over the last few year, I think he is incredibly mentally strong. He lived on the streets to persue his football career and you question his mental strength?

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
One thing that is really difficult to communicate to an average iranian is there a difference between having a good Tournament and having a good career.

There has been plenty of Iranian athletes who have isolated performances (wrestling, football, basketball,.. )

Being a great in your career is very different.

In Football we have only had Nekounam, Mahadavikia which managed to continuous acceptable performance over a long term.
How did you leave out Ali Daei who was continuous goal scoring machine for Iran for almost a decade from this list?

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
How did you leave out Ali Daei who was continuous goal scoring machine for Iran for almost a decade from this list?
Daiee had 50% success rates in his tournoments with TM

93 during 94 WC qualification campaign => good.

Asia cup 96 performance => Great

97 during 98 qualification campaign => Strong

1998 worldcup performance => weak

2000 Asian cup performance => poor

2001 during 2002 WC worldcup qualification => average

2004 Asian cup => subpar

2006 worldcup => poor

Daiee has not dominated in a single tournament for iran.

you can argue between 1994 - 2001 he had a day to day acceptable performance for iran during 90% of games.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
I disagree, based on his life experience, aptitude for hard work and his ability to improve his performance over the last few year, I think he is incredibly mentally strong. He lived on the streets to persue his football career and you question his mental strength?
Dude 90% of footballers come from very very poor family, we are not talking about ice hockey man! It just happened Beiro life got more media coverage, the issue is many of them after becoming rich and lots of media attention they kind of lose the focus and motivation. Hope it is not his case.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
Dude 90% of footballers come from very very poor family, we are not talking about ice hockey man! It just happened Beiro life got more media coverage, the issue is many of them after becoming rich and lots of media attention they kind of lose the focus and motivation. Hope it is not his case.
There's a big difference between being poor and being homeless. That's specifically why he is getting so much media coverage. Because what he did is incredibly difficult for most people.

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
Daiee had 50% success rates in his tournoments with TM

93 during 94 WC qualification campaign => good.

Asia cup 96 performance => Great

97 during 98 qualification campaign => Strong

1998 worldcup performance => weak

2000 Asian cup performance => poor

2001 during 2002 WC worldcup qualification => average

2004 Asian cup => subpar

2006 worldcup => poor

Daiee has not dominated in a single tournament for iran.

you can argue between 1994 - 2001 he had a day to day acceptable performance for iran during 90% of games.
I have no idea what this rating system means. Poor, weak, subpar, strong are to vague. For example is weak better or worse than weak?

It's incredibly difficult to score in the world cup playing on an asian team. If you look at his career overall, he was an extremely consistent goal scorer and very influential player on the field.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
There's a big difference between being poor and being homeless. That's specifically why he is getting so much media coverage. Because what he did is incredibly difficult for most people.
Again he wasn't the only one, it just happened he plays for a big club and TM and obliviously got lots of media coverage for it.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Again he wasn't the only one, it just happened he plays for a big club and TM and obliviously got lots of media coverage for it.
It means he is mentally strong and it shows on the pitch ,we wanted proof if he can handle the pressure playing against giants like Spain and Portugal and he gave it to us , watch his face again facing Ronaldo just before the penalty kick ,he was oozing with confidence facing a penalty while we were 1-0 behind .

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
It means he is mentally strong and it shows on the pitch ,we wanted proof if he can handle the pressure playing against giants like Spain and Portugal and he gave it to us , watch his face again facing Ronaldo just before the penalty kick ,he was oozing with confidence facing a penalty while we were 1-0 behind .
Are you ever gonna stop comparing your favorite players with amateur 12 year olds that may play a pick-up game in their neighborhood?

Were all other goalkeepers shaking uncontrollably against "giants like Spain and Portugal"?! Were their faces full of tears while "facing Ronaldo just before a penalty kick"?!! LOL!

You don't have to be poor or homeless to become a mentally strong player. It has nothing to do with poverty. There have been shitty and excellent players from all walks of life.

These are professional footballers who are very comfortable on the grass pitch no matter who they're facing. Even Brazil looked thoroughly professional and fairly comfortable as they lost 7-1 to Germany at home. So did Saudi Arabia as they lost 8-0 against Germany.

Beiranvand performed well. He earned his kudos. If he was anything special or spectacular, he would've been snapped up by a better team than Perspolis. I really hope that happens for him.

A8K

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
fuck.ir
How many kids in Iran have you surveyed? Your post is a stretch.
Any kid watching football probably have love for all TM players.
These guys know better and their pocket is the bottom-line. If you guys accept that then you're realistically watching 'professional' football.
Maybe he was forced to have a payback statement and that's another realistic side of doing business with the devil.

Keep in mind he may be bargaining for sarbazi moafi too.. if am not mistaken.

So funny hearing it's all about moving left and then right on the goal line.. baba das vardaaaaaaaaaaar. If you watch la liga chances of CR hitting that side was like 98%.

Seriously, what do you expect from him? Did he have a proper education, upbringing, parenting, or any social and cultural exposure to anything outside the two blocks he was frequenting? Cut him a slack. He is who he is. I don't think any kids in Iran would think of him as a role model or a source of intellectual/spiritual guidance.

Last edited:

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Are you ever gonna stop comparing your favorite players with amateur 12 year olds that may play a pick-up game in their neighborhood?

Were all other goalkeepers shaking uncontrollably against "giants like Spain and Portugal"?! Were their faces full of tears while "facing Ronaldo just before a penalty kick"?!! LOL!

You don't have to be poor or homeless to become a mentally strong player. It has nothing to do with poverty. There have been shitty and excellent players from all walks of life.

These are professional footballers who are very comfortable on the grass pitch no matter who they're facing. Even Brazil looked thoroughly professional and fairly comfortable as they lost 7-1 to Germany at home. So did Saudi Arabia as they lost 8-0 against Germany.

Beiranvand performed well. He earned his kudos. If he was anything special or spectacular, he would've been snapped up by a better team than Perspolis. I really hope that happens for him.
I will fully brief you later as I am going out but for now think of this for a while :

To moo mibiniyo maa peechesheh moo !:sneaky:

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Some of the comments and analysis in this thread are darn right hilarious.
One person says, he didn’t even save a 1-on-1.
Another member says, he was lucky to save the pk
While some other guy claims, the defense was so good that any other keeper would perform the same or even better.

Bottom line, he rose to the occasion and backed up his “Chetory Chris” by saving the pk.

Did his performance in WC make him one of the best keeper in Iran history? Absolutely not
But let’s not be too extreme (both for and against) and give the guy some respect and not let your personal agenda make you blind.

Only time will tell.

P.S. Rahmati sucks

Last edited:

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field

Dude ,sorry to be so frank ,but have you ever played in any competitive sport ?
You have got to be in that environment and feel the adrenaline and pressure , facing someone or a team better than you and see how it feels to deal with it .

It is only then you can appreciate other athletes and what they go through and their body language and eyes tells a lot about them ,but if you have been watching the game and reading about it alone won't allow you to make a fair judgement .

if you couldn't tell how confident Beiranvand looked ,well that is your problem dude , I can't change that by writing a reply to your quote " my favouritre player compaerd to a 12 year old playing in the park" ?! ...LOL ..ok dude !:cool:

I never said you got be poor to be mentally strong ,and aren't Spain and Portugal traditionaly giants of world football ? they had a bad tournament for their own standards but they were recent world and European champions and we haven't even won the Asian cup for over 40 years !:confused: