Makhmalbaf speech at European Parliament

Abedzaadeh

IPL Player
Jan 23, 2003
Whilst I fundamentally agree with what he said but I think he was heavy handed and went too far and may make it difficult for important figures (clergy/parliament etc) to take Mousavi's side.

Part 1:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUvzDHb23QU"]YouTube - Mohsen MAKHMALBAF European parliament 8 july part 1/3[/ame]

Part 2:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Af6yTJ-Kc"]YouTube - Mohsen MAKHMALBAF European parliament 8 july part 2/3[/ame]

Part 3:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tY5tH7Rga4"]YouTube - Mohsen MAKHMALBAF European parliamant 8 july part 3/3[/ame]

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
It's a calculated move. Mousavi is not running this movement. He's following the movement. People want his name there to give it legitimacy. He may try to show his loyalty to the Islamic regime from time to time but deep down he knows no one gives a flying fuck about that.

In a moderate movement, there needs to be elements that push the boundaries slowly but consistently. Makhmalbaf is one of those elements. He has more freedom outside Iran and is using it to its full extent. Kadivar is another one.

There is no reason for people to get disappointed if the clergy or parliament don't take Mousavi's side anymore. Those things would be essential to get the movement started. Now that the movement is in full motion and the regime has lost all credibility there's no reason to rely on half-ass and weak support from inside elements. This is a fight that may take longer without support from the regime's inside elements like Rafsanjani but the victory will be a much cleaner and more transparent one compared to one that would be achieved with the support of inside elements.

Goore pedare clergy and parliament. They've been useless and they will remain useless forever. We have millions of regime haters. Unless they're willing to kill millions of people, this regime is as good as finished. I'm pretty sure the exit plans are already on their desktops.

Abedzaadeh

IPL Player
Jan 23, 2003
I know what you mean but the more the likes of Rafsanjani or moderate clergies join the battle, the higher the chance that AN/Mojtaba will lose their grip.

However if the above mentioned stay aside and god forbid we lose the battle, then there is a chance that we will become a closed dictatorship (eg Saddam, North Korea) and it literally could last decades.

Similar to a game of reward/probability..if AN/Khamenei are toppled without the help of IR moderates then yes the rewards could be bigger (although this also has risks) but probability of it less, but then again if they are toppled with help of IR moderates, then although we'll be free of AN types but aspirations of many may not be met.

Coach

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Japan
I know what you mean but the more the likes of Rafsanjani or moderate clergies join the battle, the higher the chance that AN/Mojtaba will lose their grip.

However if the above mentioned stay aside and god forbid we lose the battle, then there is a chance that we will become a closed dictatorship (eg Saddam, North Korea) and it literally could last decades.

Similar to a game of reward/probability..if AN/Khamenei are toppled without the help of IR moderates then yes the rewards could be bigger (although this also has risks) but probability of it less, but then again if they are toppled with help of IR moderates, then although we'll be free of AN types but aspirations of many may not be met.
Abedzadeh jan, Shotorsavari dola dola nemishe, dourod bar makhmalbaf va tamam Iranian ke har kari az dasteshan bar miyad bray pish bord jonbesh anjam midahan. when i was high school student 1983 the school took us to see Makhmalbaf`s "tobeh nasuh" film in Isfahan and years later i saw him during filming of "bicycle run " he looked like a basiji tamam ayar himself so he came long way since then, i really hope the best for him and his family.

masoudA

Legionnaire
Oct 16, 2008
I think this was a historic speech - and I as one would like to welcome back Makhmalbaf to the side of people, and forgive him for his role in the 1978 revolt. Mohsen is now an Iranian hero in my eyes. He was brave and insightful and I agree with everything he said with once exception. Forget about holding any kind of elections while this regime is in power.

anoush

Bench Warmer
Aug 14, 2004
I think this was a historic speech - and I as one would like to welcome back Makhmalbaf to the side of people, and forgive him for his role in the 1978 revolt. Mohsen is now an Iranian hero in my eyes. He was brave and insightful and I agree with everything he said with once exception. Forget about holding any kind of elections while this regime is in power.
u are wrong there should indeed be one election, well referendum:

"JOMHOORIYE ESLAAMI: AAREH YAA NAH"

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
at this point I am fairly certain makhmalbaf is not speaking for Mousavi.
He is talking way past first, second and third lines of the regime.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I think he crossed the line as a reformer only in the last minute about Khomeini. The rest was pretty much in line with the Karubi team not so much with Musavi. I am beginning to think he wants to pull a Sazegara and play leader himself.