antivirus

bavafa

Ball Boy
Aug 9, 2007
heaven
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if there is any good antivirus website that is available for free. My computer is infected and I don't know what to do?
Thanks in advance

May 21, 2003
Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
the most powerful antivirus /malware out there is your "BRAIN" and its FREE !!! i have not installed an antivirus for well over 10 years with no problem.
Agreed. I work for an anti virus company and the above is sound advice.

Run a scan of www.malwarebytes.org it is completely free and about six million downloads a day.

once a week, make sure you update the definitions prior to doing it.

But if you are absolutely hung on buying one, go for ESET-nod32 or Bit Defender security suite.

but then again it all depends on what kind of a system you are looking at,
i.e. clocking speed, Random Access Memory and paging speed.

bavafa

Ball Boy
Aug 9, 2007
heaven
then use the scan that i mentioned. If you cannot load it normally boot your computer into safe mode and run the scan.

prior to doing anything, back your essential stuff up.
I tried to run the scan , but as soon as it opens, it goes away and I'm not sure how I can boot my computer into the safe mode?? Can u please explain steps that should be taken, cause I'm not really good at such things.
Thanks a lot

May 21, 2003
Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
I tried to run the scan , but as soon as it opens, it goes away and I'm not sure how I can boot my computer into the safe mode?? Can u please explain steps that should be taken, cause I'm not really good at such things.
Thanks a lot
You have a rootkit infection most likely. Rootkit is an application that basically takes a supervisor role and takes over your whole system including some of windows specific processes such as explorer.exe and svchosts.

This is a little more complicated now.

Before you do anything back up whatever photos and documents you have saved on the system on a portable drive or a flash drive.

Please keep in mind that the system might crash so before performing the following steps you need to make sure you can get a hold of a reinstallation CD or in case of VISTA that you have the clean installation file in a seperate partition
Once the backup is performed:
1- Shut down the computer
2- leave it sit for 30 seconds
3- turn it back on and as soon as you do so start to tap the F8 function key on the top row of your keyboard.
4- you will be see a black and white screen, opt for SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
5- sign under your name (administrator)
6- once you see the weird black screen try to run the scan again.
7- if it is still being blocked, let me know.

bavafa

Ball Boy
Aug 9, 2007
heaven
You have a rootkit infection most likely. Rootkit is an application that basically takes a supervisor role and takes over your whole system including some of windows specific processes such as explorer.exe and svchosts.

This is a little more complicated now.

Before you do anything back up whatever photos and documents you have saved on the system on a portable drive or a flash drive.

Please keep in mind that the system might crash so before performing the following steps you need to make sure you can get a hold of a reinstallation CD or in case of VISTA that you have the clean installation file in a seperate partition
Once the backup is performed:
1- Shut down the computer
2- leave it sit for 30 seconds
3- turn it back on and as soon as you do so start to tap the F8 function key on the top row of your keyboard.
4- you will be see a black and white screen, opt for SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING
5- sign under your name (administrator)
6- once you see the weird black screen try to run the scan again.
7- if it is still being blocked, let me know.
Thank you so much for your help. I put my computer on the safe mode after clicking on the F8 over and over, lol
After that I ran the scan, it detected 22 files that were infected and I removed them all and I restarted my computer. Is that all? Cause I still get some signals from other antivirus companies including cyber-security that there are some files which are infected and I need serious attention and ... .
I'm not sure if I have to do anything esle, cause I followed your procedure step by step and it seems like it removed all the files that were infected, but again these signs from other antivirus companies kindda threw me off ...
Please let me know
Thanks a lot again :)

shayanm

Bench Warmer
Nov 1, 2006
AVG AntiVirus works great for me and its free. They had recently released version 9 and it is constantly updated definitions.