Was the game fixed?

Khabalood

Elite Member
Sep 26, 2004
Toronto
Anybody else get the feeling that the team just didn't try to play to win the game today as if they were told to lose but maintain a somewhat respectful scoreline? This isn't the first time we have seen our teams play excessively below themselves in tournaments. We did the exact same thing at the WC 2006 where we only played one half of football over three games. Today was the worst example however. I don't have the full stats but I remember Korea having 19 shots at the end of the first half to our 1 (which was ironically a shot taken by a Korean on their own net.) This statistic against a team that even India scored against is incredibly poor. The whole situation is fishy, and since the government really has nothing to gain from a victory I wouldn't be surprised if they gave the team the order to lose on purpose.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
India scored because they weren't taken seriously. IMO, Korea won fair and square. They were just too good for us. We were lousy. Time to accept it and move on...

ehsan

Legionnaire
Oct 18, 2002
i just felt like writing this here, its not really directed at you.
unbelievable how much people care about this game, despite what are country is and how it is ran. i dont understand how can anyone expect any more of whatever the hell TM is.

funny how people find me to be the clown.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Yes it was fixed. Despite Sir Afshin Ghotbi's constant warning to players to not mix politics in their drinks, it was revealed that a few of them had mixed "Politics 12" (an illegal substance made of Green beans) in their blood, so Ghotbi with his thick connections to Korean officials did some negotiations and agreed to a late-loss in extra time.

We have no one to blame but our politically polluted players.

Aug 26, 2005
i just felt like writing this here, its not really directed at you.
unbelievable how much people care about this game, despite what are country is and how it is ran. i dont understand how can anyone expect any more of whatever the hell TM is.

funny how people find me to be the clown.
I'll tell you this though...from a personal view I am far less invested in this than what I was a few years ago. Maybe it's age..maybe it's what's happening inside Iran but I've realised that until someone makes a concerted effort to shake things up our football will remain more or less at this level.

May 12, 2007
No.
But I know South Korea could easyly have won India with more goals and win the group.
It surprises me that they have not calculated Iran, Japan are more difficult teams than Iraq, Uzbakestan.
1- They want to play better teams for WC preperation
2- They knew Ghotbi well plus maybe referee!