US government targeting Iranian-Americans again H.R.158

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
US politicians never stop amazing me with their stupidity and this is yet another example. Contact your idiot senator by writing or emailing them to not have Iran included

What is HR 158?
The Visa Waiver Program Improvement Act is a White House backed, bipartisan effort to amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to include terrorism risk as a factor when determining an alien’s eligibility to travel to the United States. The Visa Waiver Program currently allows citizens of 38 participating countries to travel to the U.S., Europe, Japan and South Korea without a visa for stays of 90 days or less. This legislation would exclude those with Iranian, Iraqi, Sudanese and Syrian nationality or anyone who has travelled to those countries in the past five years from using the program to enter the country. The amended bill was fast-tracked and passed in the House of Representatives on December 8, 2015 by a vote of 407-19.
Who will it affect?
HR 158 will require those who have “travelled to” or are “nationals of” Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria to attain a visa from the United States to be able to enter the country. It also includes dual-nationals of these states from the visa waiver participating countries (those who hold two passports). For instance, according to the ACLU’s interpretation of the bill, it is conceivable that a person who was born and raised in France but whose father is an Iranian citizen would be forced to get a visa before visiting the United States, even if that person has a French passport and has never been in Iran. However, others have interpreted travel to Iran within the past five years as the main determinant.
The original bill was initially produced to increase security components of the Visa Waiver Program’s structure in order to help prevent terrorist from entering the country. However, provisions were later added to bar people who had travelled to the primary states where ISIS operates, Iraq and Syria, as well as states labeled by the US as State Sponsors of Terrorism, which includes Iran and Sudan. Ironically, Saudi Arabia, the country which produced fifteen of the nineteen 9/11 perpetrators or Turkey, which many of the recruits use to enter Syria and join ISIS, were not included in the list.
How does this bill affect those of Iranian descent?
This issue is particularly complicated, as Iran does not recognize the foreign citizenship of people whose parents are nationals of that country. Europe has a large number of residents of Iranian descent, many of whose parents settled there after the 1979 revolution in Iran or to escape persecution.
If the legislation passes through Congress, it may require, depending on the interpretation of the law, that all aliens of Iranian descent obtain a visa prior to travelling to the United States for any period of time. It will certainly require those who have visited Iran within the past five years to obtain a visa.
How will this bill affect Iranian Americans?
The Visa Waiver program is based off of reciprocity. For example, a UK citizen can travel to the US for up to 90 days and a US citizen can also travel to the UK for up to 90 days without a visa. If this legislation becomes law, it will very likely trigger reciprocal restrictions from other participants in the Visa Waiver program. So, if the US requires Iranian-Europeans to obtain visas to travel to the United States, the EU nations will require Iranian Americans to obtain visas to travel to Europe.
Iranian-Americans (US citizens) who travel to Iran and return back to the US are not directly affected by this bill.
Why should people of Iranian descent be taken off of the list?
The purpose of HR158 is to prevent acts of terrorism within the United States. Of particular concern are citizens of the Visa Waiver Program participating countries who have been radicalized and have travelled to countries where ISIS operates. However, there is no evidence to suggest that persons of Iranian descent have become radicalized or committed an act of terrorism in the United States, or in any way acted against American national interests. Iranians are, by definition, sworn enemies of the Islamic State which considers all non-Sunnis - and specifically Iranians - as infidels and thus their main targets. To place a group of American dual citizens into a de facto suspicious category while leaving out other dual citizens of the many countries that ISIS operates in is ineffective policy at best and highly discriminatory at worst.
The United States is host to the largest expatriate community of Iranians in the world. Iranian Americans have contributed to the economic strength and cultural diversity of America. They serve as government officials, in the military and law enforcement, working to uphold the U.S. Constitution and protect all Americans.
Iranian Americans are by any objective standard, the second most successful immigrant group in the United States and contribute to every level of American society every day.
Among the victims of the terrorist attack in San Bernardino was a Christian Iranian American woman who came to the United States in search of religious freedom. Among the first-responders of the same attack was an Iranian American who serves as a SWAT team embedded medic.
In a time where the US national interest depends on promoting diplomacy and greater interaction between the peoples of the two countries moving forward, the successful passing of this legislation would be an enormous step backwards for US-Iran relations. To the extent that the bill discourages Iranian Americans from future travel to Iran, it plays into the hands of hardliners in the Iranian government whose goal is to keep the country isolated from the West, undermine US-Iran rapprochement, and inhibit social and economic reform and moderation.
What is PAAIA doing?
PAAIA staff, board members and trustees are in direct communication with Members of Congress to take those of Iranian descent off the amended bill.
Board members and trustees have also been contacting their Senators in an effort to stop the bill from passing the Senate.
PAAIA has reached out to legal organizations and is currently researching the constitutional legality of passing this bill and to discuss its implications.
PAAIA is putting together a survey targeted to the Iranian American community in order to shed light on our identity, affiliations and beliefs.
PAAIA will continue to monitor the situation and we will update you on developments related to the ongoing legislative process as well as how PAAIA is responding
http://www.payvand.com/news/15/dec/1061.html

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
This should not surprise anyone and sadly, we are now going to get lumped into the same group as "them." I contacted some politicians regarding this but there is only so much you can do and you are right, the stupidity of some American politicians amaze me. This does not affect me that much because I was born and raised in the USA but nobody should be discriminated based on where they are from. Also, how in the hell can you lump Iranian Americans with Syrians and people from Sudan. Syria = Arab Sudan = black africans Iran = Persians/turks etc. We speak a different language we do not even speak Arabic for crying out loud in Syria and even Sudan, Arabic is widely used. Talk about comparing apples to oranges that is like lumping Koreans, Chinese and Japanese all in the same group! Thank you for bringing this to people's attention because we cannot be blind and pretend that this does not take place. One person might not be able to do anything but if every Iranian American contacts their senator then you can have a voice with numbers.

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
Does anyone know if there's any plans to make Canadian-Iranians a part of this garbage? So far Canada is the only country not affected.
Canada is not included and that's mainly because it's not as easy to get a Canadian passport compared to a European passport . Canada's immigration laws are strict just like the US .

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Canada is not included and that's mainly because it's not as easy to get a Canadian passport compared to a European passport . Canada's immigration laws are strict just like the US .
You are correct but it seems like it is easier to get a Canadian passport vs a US passport. If you have been living in Canada for x number of years and have property there then you are good to go. The US is a nightmare you need to take a test on American history and you need to go through a bunch of hoops, even if you are from Europe and not Iran or some Arab country. Hopefully some of our Canadian hamvatans can confirm what I stated. BTW man I gave all of my Iranian American friends, my dads colleagues in the science community and everyone I can think of the petition and brought this to their attention.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Dude are you kidding?!!

It's a piece of cake to get a Canadian passport compared to most European countries and the US. 3-4 years of residency, a stupid test my grandma could pass and you've got a passport. Why do you think Canada is such a popular destination for migrants?

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
مردمی که در کشور خودشون به کودکان افغان اجازه تحصیل نمیدهند، نسبت به تبعیض در آمریکا نسبت به ایرانیها معترضند.

#آیت الله تناسلی

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Canada is included because it is part of the visa waiver program with the US. If this becomes law in its most strict form (as proposed) then an Iranian-Canadian would need to apply for visa to travel to the US. Even a naturally born Canadian would need to apply for a visa to travel to the US if he/she has visited Iran after 2011. Obviously, Canada may retaliate, meaning that Americans who have visited Iran, or Iranian-Americans may need visa to travel to Canada. The same with Europe, though I doubt they will be discriminatory in their protest in that way.

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
Canada is included because it is part of the visa waiver program with the US. If this becomes law in its most strict form (as proposed) then an Iranian-Canadian would need to apply for visa to travel to the US. Even a naturally born Canadian would need to apply for a visa to travel to the US if he/she has visited Iran after 2011. Obviously, Canada may retaliate, meaning that Americans who have visited Iran, or Iranian-Americans may need visa to travel to Canada. The same with Europe, though I doubt they will be discriminatory in their protest in that way.
Canada is not included as its not part of the US visa waiver program with Europe , here is the list of the countries that are on the list http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visa-waiver-program.html

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
Dude are you kidding?!!

It's a piece of cake to get a Canadian passport compared to most European countries and the US. 3-4 years of residency, a stupid test my grandma could pass and you've got a passport. Why do you think Canada is such a popular destination for migrants?
I know many Iranians who only wish to come to Canada or the US but they were easily able to obtain European passports. Some say Canada's immigration laws are even harsher than the US . Here is a good article https://www.quora.com/Is-it-as-hard-to-get-Canadian-citizenship-as-it-is-to-get-American-citizenship

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Canada is not included as its not part of the US visa waiver program with Europe , here is the list of the countries that are on the list http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visa-waiver-program.html
You are correct, my bad. However, that's just a technicality. I can see no situation where the US does this for Europe and not Canada. There are strong rumors that the Senate version is significantly more restrictive than the House version of the bill, so I won't be surprised if the law covering US-Canada travel is affected there.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Az Maziar said, Canada is yet to be affected by this.

A saving grace for us Canadians could be the enmeshed nature of corporate policies between US and Canada. It's almost impossible for corporations active in both countries (which is most corporations in Canada) to adapt to this.

I have no idea how my employer could keep me if these restrictions affected me.

Feb 4, 2005
Az Maziar said, Canada is yet to be affected by this.

A saving grace for us Canadians could be the enmeshed nature of corporate policies between US and Canada. It's almost impossible for corporations active in both countries (which is most corporations in Canada) to adapt to this.

I have no idea how my employer could keep me if these restrictions affected me.
As a professional you need a TN1 visa anyway so nothing will change for you and others like you.

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
You are correct, my bad. However, that's just a technicality. I can see no situation where the US does this for Europe and not Canada. There are strong rumors that the Senate version is significantly more restrictive than the House version of the bill, so I won't be surprised if the law covering US-Canada travel is affected there.
I don't think this will happen anytime soon , Canada and the US are too integrated for this to happen. It wasn't that long ago when you could travel back and forth to Canada without a passport . Even now in some cases you can still travel by car to Canada without having a passport with a enhanced driver’s licenses, Enhanced Tribal Orders, U.S. military ID with travel orders, U.S. Merchant Mariner Document.

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
if this passes the Europeans will do the same thing meaning Iranian- Americans will have to apply for a visa when traveling to Europe.
EU diplomats warn US over visa threat

Washington (AFP) - Diplomats from the 28-member European Union on Monday warned they could respond in kind if the United States makes good on plans to end visa-free entry for some EU nationals.

After the November 13 terror strikes in Paris and as part of wider anti-terror efforts, the US House of Representatives voted last Tuesday in support of the Visa Waiver Program Improvement Act of 2015, a measure the White House supports.

The Paris strikes were conducted by extremists who could have traveled to the United States without a visa. The bill, which still requires Senate and White House nods, would bar people who traveled after March 1, 2011 to Iraq and Syria -- as well as Iran and Sudan -- from participating in the visa-free program.

"Compulsory biometric checks at the port of origin would represent the de facto introduction of a visa regime in all but name," EU Ambassador to the United States David O'Sullivan said in an editorial in The Hill, on behalf of ambassadors to the US of EU member states.

"Such indiscriminate action against the more than 13 million European citizens who travel to the US each year would be counterproductive, could trigger legally mandated reciprocal measures, and would do nothing to increase security while instead hurting economies on both sides of the Atlantic."

The US acknowledged potential for strains over any changes.

"We have been in touch with and will continue to be in touch with European leaders about their concerns about the program," State Department spokesman John Kirby said. "It's an important program, we recognize that."

VWP is available to citizens of 38 countries, largely US allies and relatively stable developed democracies.

Many are in Europe, including Belgium and France, the home countries of several of the Paris attackers.

Created in 1986 to help facilitate travel to the US, the program allows applicants to fill out a detailed form online and pay a small fee, rather than apply at US consulates.
http://news.yahoo.com/eu-diplomats-warn-us-over-visa-threat-015744562.html

Dec 30, 2014
I wonder what the effect of this would be on the nuclear accord. If enacted, this bill would discourage travel of people to Iran, which in effect would be an indirect way to sanction Iran's tourism industry. It will also discourage travel of business people to Iran which would also hamper Iran's economy.

Here is a good article on the topic:

Beheading the Blacksmith of Balkh

http://www.theguardian.com/world/ir...goats-for-terrorist-acts-by-us-congress-hr158

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Dude are you kidding?!!

That is what I heard from others as well. Those who could not get a US passport would go to Canada as a plan B and get a Canadian passport no problem. Just show your three to four years of residency and you are good to go. The test that the Americans give is actually difficult and you really need to study American history. I also agree that if this passes in US then Europe will do the same thing and Gains pointed out something interested about Iran's tourism industry. This will obviously negatively affect tourism in Iran and Iran's economy will feel the hurt when European tourists do not visit Iran anymore.