Torontonian friends ....

Feb 4, 2005
Darbar is great based on my own experience (5 months ago) and what I heard from friends and relatives. A bit pricey though

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
Shomal is still very good, it's the service which is hit and miss.
I went to Shomal Resturaunt for the first time a few months ago and had the Kabob Torsh and it was sweet. They should change the name to Kabob Shereen not Torsh. Overall i was not too impressed but that could be because my mother is shomali and the best shomali food is home made.

I went to Shomal Resturaunt for the first time a few months ago and had the Kabob Torsh and it was sweet. They should change the name to Kabob Shereen not Torsh. Overall i was not too impressed but that could be because my mother is shomali and the best shomali food is home made.
apparently they"re using a wrong pomegranate sauce

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
any feedback on Gilaneh ?
Same as Shomal (same owner). Hit and miss. From absolute shit to maybe half-okay (never great). It's got an eerily weird atmosphere. Lots of risho-pashm faces and new-comers from Iran. I won't go there again.

The best Koobideh I have had in the past 2 years has consistently been from "Shater Abbas". They have 2 locations. One is only express with excellent food. The main restaurant has the same stuff and is on Yonge south of Highway 7 (same plaza as Super Parsian). The owner recently passed away, but the food remains good.

Honestly, most food in Toronto has gone beyond great and is simply amazing these days. I have traveled to many places and Toronto has some of the best ethnic food in the world.

Same as Shomal (same owner). Hit and miss. From absolute shit to maybe half-okay (never great). It's got an eerily weird atmosphere. Lots of risho-pashm faces and new-comers from Iran. I won't go there again.

The best Koobideh I have had in the past 2 years has consistently been from "Shater Abbas". They have 2 locations. One is only express with excellent food. The main restaurant has the same stuff and is on Yonge south of Highway 7 (same plaza as Super Parsian). The owner recently passed away, but the food remains good.

Honestly, most food in Toronto has gone beyond great and is simply amazing these days. I have traveled to many places and Toronto has some of the best ethnic food in the world.

how's shatter Abbas ambience ? I am taking some colleagues with me, so both food and atmosphere must be presentable

If you want get takeout stuffs, Taftaan is quite good also.
yeah good idea , I always do if it's only me but I am taking some friend with me

Oct 1, 2004
Unfortunately the places with the best food don't have the best ambiance. If you want good ambiance, Gilaneh in my opinion is pretty good.

Shater Abbas is very good food, but the restaurant decor itself is very ordinary.

There's also some restaurants which the hipster crowd love such as takht tavous and pomegranate but they're marketed towards non-Iranians.

There is a very good restaurant called Reihoon in Burlington (near Hamilton), pricy but high quality and great setting.

Nov 24, 2002
One of the best Kabab's i ever had outside Iran was Raffi's place in Glendale, CA. The portion is at least 1 1/2 of other places and the price is reasonable for the portion.

Feb 4, 2005
One of the best Kabab's i ever had outside Iran was Raffi's place in Glendale, CA. The portion is at least 1 1/2 of other places and the price is reasonable for the portion.
How does it help Fariborz? Aslan mageh to Toronto hasti? Yeki jolo mano begireh a'saab nadaram!

Last edited:
Unfortunately the places with the best food don't have the best ambiance. If you want good ambiance, Gilaneh in my opinion is pretty good.

Shater Abbas is very good food, but the restaurant decor itself is very ordinary.

There's also some restaurants which the hipster crowd love such as takht tavous and pomegranate but they're marketed towards non-Iranians.

There is a very good restaurant called Reihoon in Burlington (near Hamilton), pricy but high quality and great setting.

thanks for the info.

How does it help Fariborz? Aslan mageh to Toronto hasti? Yeki jolo mano begireh a'saab nadaram!
I'm attending a convention in the first week of December . I promised to take some of my colleagues out for Persian food. As it stand I have to pick between Gilaneh and Darbar .

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
I 2nd Fatso's opinion. I know the owners of Reyhoon very well and have been an avid customer since the day they opened. Nothing beats their patio setting in summer months. I adore that village for personal reasons.

I have taken American colleagues of mine to Reyhoon multiple times (some of them very high rank directors) and the place didn't disappoint.

The only problem for you might be the 60KM drive from Yonge in traffic.

Toronto's traffic these days is the most pathetic it has ever been. No words can describe how I feel about it. Sorry, yeah Reyhoon is good!

Nov 24, 2002

Do You live in Toronto? I thought u were living in Alberta? :)

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
Darbar is great based on my own experience (5 months ago) and what I heard from friends and relatives. A bit pricey though
yeah exactly! Poole ghertibazishoon ro migiran! The waiter/waitress keeps u waiting, comes with 3 piece of bread to start and then at the end u realize they even charge for appetizer bread!lol

LOOL! Hamino begu Nader jan! No recommendation is accepted from people who've left friendly Canada for Trump land! ;) :( :chase:

Fariborz jan,
When are u coming? We should meet up if you have time! :)
I tried Gilane about 3 weeks ago, and it was pretty good.
If you need great ambience and great kebab, try Shahrzad. Its consistently good. The only downside is its only open after 5pm. Or else its a great place to go with guests. Its so beautiful inside, u feel like you've been to Kashan/Esfahan.

Last edited:

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Dont want to be party pooper.
but what is us iranian's obsession with kabab! it is our lease complex food!

I plan to visit Toronto sooner rather than later. what is the best Dizi place?