inham az Reza Aslan

Oct 18, 2002
After a year and half where it looked like he was on the side of people, Mr. moderate Reza Aslan found a way to cheer Ahmadinejad.
All i can say is: happy dreaming!

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2011/01/do-we-have-ahmadinejad-all-wrong/69434/

Do We Have Ahmadinejad All Wrong?

Jan 13 2011, 7:30 AM ET

Is it possible that Iran's blustering president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, long thought to be a leading force behind some of Iran's most hard-line and repressive policies, is actually a reformer whose attempts to liberalize, secularize, and even "Persianize" Iran have been repeatedly stymied by the country's more conservative factions? That is the surprising impression one gets reading the latest WikiLeaks revelations, which portray Ahmadinejad as open to making concessions on Iran's nuclear program and far more accommodating to Iranians' demands for greater freedoms than anyone would have thought.
All the way to:
The truth is that the opaque nature of Iran's government and the country's deeply fractured political system make it difficult to draw any clear or simple conclusions. It's not obvious whether Ahmadinejad is driven by a legitimate desire for reform or just tactical political interests. But if you oppose the Mullahs' rule, yearn for greater social and political freedoms for the Iranian people, and envision an Iran that draws inspiration from the glories of its Persian past, then, believe it or not, you have more in common with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad than you might have thought.
As I said, happy dreaming Mr. Aslan.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
What a load of shit. Even the illiterates in the villages know that its all a show to get his side kick "elected".

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
The world as it stands right now is a doomed adventure. Humans are ignoring the bluntness of nature to hang onto the vagueness of hope only to pass the disappointment to the next generation. A vicious cycle which keeps repeating and repeating until Einstein's "relativity" becomes relatively (pun intended) irrelevant and absolutes gain realization.

People like Reza Aslan will always be around to create gray areas of nothingness in the middle of black and white realities. The real losers are those who waste their precious time exploring the vacuum created by such sorry ass idiots.

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
What this guys, Aslan, does not say is that if you kill and imprison everyone on the left of you, then you can claim to be a leftist compared to those on the right. Of course, there is nobody left in the so-called government of AN to be to his left, so he has become the reformist now compared to those dinasaurs that want to move back to 1,400 years ago. This guy has a forum, the time and a venue to get his non-sense published, and now he is advertised as an expert on Iran. He does not seem to have any clue about Iran or Islam.

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
i don't think it's an act.. i think he does believe in most of the things he says.. even the haleyeh noor (but he knew how stupid it sounded that's why he always avoided the question) i think he is evil but he is also delusional at the same time and actually does think of himself as a saviour .. i think most of his crimes he probably thinks of worthy of the cause, i'm not saying he's stupid though, just saying he is medically insane which combined with his dark nature is very threatening!

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
After a year and half where it looked like he was on the side of people, Mr. moderate Reza Aslan found a way to cheer Ahmadinejad.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2011/01/do-we-have-ahmadinejad-all-wrong/69434/

All the way to:

Deerouz Jan
I think there has been few threads here that some of us questioned Reza Aslan and his back and forth positions toward sanctions and ...

At the end, he is no one that we should care what he says or think or ... I think I personally wasted enough time disscussing him and his style of so called Journalisim with various members on the board.

Oct 18, 2002
Deerouz Jan
I think there has been few threads here that some of us questioned Reza Aslan and his back and forth positions toward sanctions and ...

At the end, he is no one that we should care what he says or think or ... I think I personally wasted enough time disscussing him and his style of so called Journalisim with various members on the board.
Shahin jan,
You are right, and I recall that discussion. At the time I tried to give him the benefit of doubt considering his support of people's movement. Now I wonder if there was any honesty in his enthusiasm, or whether it was just because the price of supporting AN was too high at the time. I mean going from applauding street demonstration of Iranian youth to praising AN as some sort of liberal nationalist, all within one year, should be too much for anyone who has any shame.

Jun 18, 2005
befarma...in hamooni bood ke bazia azash defa mikardan.

A guy who believes in Islam should not be taken seriously in the first place. I am sorry but that is the bitter truth. In this day and age you can not claim to be a scholar and believe in such ramblings.

Bad az agha entezar darin ke get it right on politics and AhmadiNejad.

Yes Reza Aslan. You are right. AN wants to Persianize Iran and Mohammad traveled to space with a ghater overnight! :eek:

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
His idol, Ali Shariati, was full of sh*t so one really shouldn't expect much from this bozo. The sad thing is that he really has marketed himself as the authority in all so-called intellectual discussions on Islam and Muslims in the American media. That goes to say how sad is the state of media in this country.

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002

All the way to:

woh..what a delusional statement..so he showed his true colors..As in being a follower of "wind party". When Green movement had all the attention, he took centre stage trying to analyse it, and put into perspective. and now he is calling AN a patriot and some1 whose 'reformist plans' have been overlooked by other fractions! khoda shafa bedeh..

I'll ridicule his statement in his own fb page and leave it at that..

His idol, Ali Shariati, was full of sh*t so one really shouldn't expect much from this bozo. The sad thing is that he really has marketed himself as the authority in all so-called intellectual discussions on Islam and Muslims in the American media. That goes to say how sad is the state of media in this country.
well said Behnam jan..I fear for his power of articles..He may disappoint many of us now, but surely will fool/confuse American general public everyday with these statements in his articles.

Feb 7, 2004
No one remotely associated with NIAC is trustworthy. All of these guys take their Q from Amirahamdi

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
wow i just read the full article and i have to say it was very expertly written!!lol It's amazing how you can remain completely factual and by missing a few facts represent a completely different story to the truth!

Oct 18, 2002
wow i just read the full article and i have to say it was very expertly written!!lol It's amazing how you can remain completely factual and by missing a few facts represent a completely different story to the truth!
That's the key, abz jan. The guy is a pro, and in the field of social science you can pretty much prove anything by selecting your facts. It reminds me of the writing style of a certain former ISP member :D

shahinc

Legionnaire
May 8, 2005
It reminds me of the writing style of a certain former ISP member :D
Are you referring to the one and Only "Special K" of ISP :) Because he had his cult of followers and cheerleaders here in ISP too :)

Where is Special K these days?

Last edited:

khodam

Bench Warmer
Oct 18, 2002
Atlanta
Wow, it seems Faraj Sarkouhi also showed his true face!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/arts/2011/01/110116_fs_iran_culture_policy.shtml

تصویر احمدی نژاد چون رییس جمهوری که از کاهش سخت گیری ها در عرصه های زیست اجتماعی و فرهنگی حمایت می کند با تصویر کلیشه ای او چون دولتمردی اصولگرا، که بنا به تعریف این اصطلاح باید سخت گیری های بیش تری را بر زیست اجتماعی و فرهنگی مردم اعمال کند، در تضاد است.

اما رخدادهای عینی مکرر دور اول و دوم ریاست جمهوری او هر دو بعد این تصویر و بعد سوم و چهارم آن، گرایش احمدی نژاد به استبداد سیاسی و پوپولیسم اقتصادی، را تایید کرده و این تصویر چند بعدی پیچیدگی صف بندی ها، سیاست ها، مدیریت و بافت حاکمیت متحول شده و در حال تحول جمهوری اسلامی را نشان می دهد.
In seriousness, what Aslan says in his piece is along the same lines as what Sarkouhi is suggesting (and I hope you're not suggesting Sarkouhi is on IR's payroll or their apologist) but his piece has poor choice of words and less substance and analysis. I also agree that this so-called "reformer" picture of AN has to be discussed within the context of political dictatorship that he has contributed to, something that Aslan miserably fails to do here but has done in the past.