منصور رشیدی: ناصر حجازی بهترین دروازبان تاریخ ایران است.

Jun 30, 2009
well, it's not that easy to compare two different eras. To say that team would have won by 3 or 4 goals is just nonsense.

Back then Japan, KSA were jokes. There was no Australia and the 2 Koreas were really the only 2 slightly competitive teams. Also the games were in Tehran.

Now you have an entire continent plus Australia, all having players in Europe. If I'm not mistaken the only legionnaire we had back then was Adelkhani, a 2nd or third league player in W. Germany

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
well, it's not that easy to compare two different eras. To say that team would have won by 3 or 4 goals is just nonsense.

Back then Japan, KSA were jokes. There was no Australia and the 2 Koreas were really the only 2 slightly competitive teams. Also the games were in Tehran.

Now you have an entire continent plus Australia, all having players in Europe. If I'm not mistaken the only legionnaire we had back then was Adelkhani, a 2nd or third league player in W. Germany
I agree that Asian teams are much better than back then , however I think our own players had better technical ability ,mentally stronger and better culture and spirit than our current crop.
I believe 7 or 8 of the 1976-78 team could play in any top European leagues today ( with today's science and nutrition and training methods and tactical knowledge available to them).

Jun 30, 2009
I agree that Asian teams are much better than back then , however I think our own players had better technical ability ,mentally stronger and better culture and spirit than our current crop.
I believe 7 or 8 of the 1976-78 team could play in any top European leagues today ( with today's science and nutrition and training methods and tactical knowledge available to them).
yes, I agree, they could have played in European leagues, but they didn't.
Many of the players back then were really semi professional. Many had second jobs. My memory of the 1978 WC was that we had players that were horrified playing Holland. Our entire TM was players from the Takhteh Jamshid who had zero experience outside of Iran. When Rashidi, who I remember watching him in games in the Amjadieh, says the players in the 70's could beat the current players, I just think he's wrong. The players today are far stronger when it comes to physical abilities and professional experience. This is not just Iranian football. It's professional sports all over the world. When we look at football players in the 60's or 70's, they are no where close to players today due to modern training programs. Rashidi saying these things is just old world mentality

Last edited:

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Many of the players back then were really semi professional. Many had second jobs. My memory of the 1978 WC was that we had players that were horrified playing Holland. Our entire TM was players from the Takhteh Jamshid who had zero experience outside of Iran. When Rashidi, who I remember watching him in games in the Amjadieh, says the players in the 70's could beat the current players, I just think he's wrong. The players today are far stronger when it comes to physical abilities and professional experience. This is not just Iranian football. It's professional sports all over the world. When we look at football players in the 60's or 70's, they are no where close to players today due to modern training programs. Rashidi saying these things is just old world mentality
That's why I put in bracket providing they had today's science of nutrition and training methods and tactics available to them , on technical ability and mentally and spirits they were far superior to the current crop who are bunch of spoiled brats.

Anybody who learned to play football on those sandy uneven stoney football pitches knows what I am talking about.
Yes 69 squad were fearful of playing twice finalist and best team in the world on their world Cup debut ,who wasn't?! but they showed their individual talents and ability in the next two games against Scotland with all their stars a d Peru the South American champions . That team also reached quarter finals of Olympics and missed out the semi finals by a narrow defeat and lost by one goal to Poland with all their mighty stars .
Rashidi has a point , basically meaning they were far superior to the current crop on technical ability.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Current football teams will destroy the teams from 40 years ago. Football is a different game today. when i watch old soccer games, the level of players is so different no matter what country you consider.

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Current football teams will destroy the teams from 40 years ago. Football is a different game today. when i watch old soccer games, the level of players is so different no matter what country you consider.
I cannot say what Rashidi meant when he said that his team would beat current one, but I think if the old timers had today players’ emkanat
They would beat the current team

Last edited:

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
Up until the late 90s we didn't have the internet for foreign players from obscure places to be readily scouted. Furthermore the Bosman ruling opened up the door to so-so foreigners as beforeclubs could only field 3 foreigners and as such were very selective with who they signed while afterwards a German club for example could sign and field 11 French players and not worry about wasting 1 of 3 foreigner slots on an iffy player from Bangladesh.