A note on ISP front page article

Jan 21, 2005
Its good to have player analysis on this site. If the objective of this analysis is to compare performances between players, then I should say this analysis is at fault. It might be useful to compare Zandi and Nekoonam by this kind of analysis. But a forward (Daei) can not be compared with midfielders in this kind of analysis. A forwad is in a more direct close man-to man contact with the oponent's than the midfileders. Usually a player in the midfiled has more room and the opponets deal with the midfielders with less emergency than the forwards. A back pass by forwards sometimes is necessary. Ball contact by the forward also to a some extent depends on the performance of the rest of the team.

Daei was constantly moving and was our first line of defense. He received almost no critical balls from our midfileders. This was also the case for Hashemian.

Babak G

News Team, ISP Managers Team
Feb 13, 2003
Parts Unknown
Hmm.
You might be forgetting how far back Daei plays.

But it is still useful to compare his level of participation with the midfielders.By the way the midfield on that day was very pressurized and there was no time or place either.So I dont think your argument applies FULLY here.

Jan 21, 2005
Babak G,

No matter how compressed the midfield is, it will never be like the marking of the forwards. Forwards usually recieve balls with their back to the defender, this is one reason you see more back passes by them. Hashemian also had a hard time. Our players never sent balls behind Bahraini defenders. Daei came back on afew occasions, but you have to consider that our midfiled also went back.

The point is, if you are a forward you are playing in a "highly defended" area, you will have less chance of balls. Just a question, which is easier a) Nekoonam/Zandi shotting a ball from the midfiled towards Bahraini goal or b) Daei shotting a ball from outside of the box towards the Bahraini goal?

Its just two very different areas, midfileders get more balls, pass more forward passes and forwards get much more hassel from the defenders and generally score more goals. Also it would not be fair to compare the number of chances/goals a midfileder has to those of a forward. Ususally forwards get more chances/goals.

Oct 19, 2002
Ankaboot

i agree with you kinda, i wrote the article, the purpose of the article at first was to only have stats of Zandi, so i did that, then i thought many are not used to see such stats, so they would have no clue if this is good or not, so i decided to add nekounam since they had same position. Then i decided to add up Daei as well since i was curious about how his stats would look, The purpose of the article is not to compare the players but to have indivudal stats on each player...

If you dont want to compare Daei with Zandi, then cool, dont do it, compare daei with daei, daei missed as many passes as he played good, is that good ? No its poor, its awful, doesn't matter if u are goalie or forward.....

anyway, thanku for taking ur time to read it and hope u found it useful!

Jan 21, 2005
Naveed_kia said:
Ankaboot

i agree with you kinda, i wrote the article, the purpose of the article at first was to only have stats of Zandi, so i did that, then i thought many are not used to see such stats, so they would have no clue if this is good or not, so i decided to add nekounam since they had same position. Then i decided to add up Daei as well since i was curious about how his stats would look, The purpose of the article is not to compare the players but to have indivudal stats on each player...

If you dont want to compare Daei with Zandi, then cool, dont do it, compare daei with daei, daei missed as many passes as he played good, is that good ? No its poor, its awful, doesn't matter if u are goalie or forward.....

anyway, thanku for taking ur time to read it and hope u found it useful!
Dear Navid-Kia,

I am sorry if I sounded picky. I should have said that what you did is really great and we need more of this kind of analysis. Your analysis showed clearly that Daei had less ball contact compared to midfielders. I agree Daei compared to himself played poorly. I like Daei and I think he is necessay for our team. I also think Daei should be subbed if he did'nt performe. But what made me have the above comments was that some members may refer to this analysis to bash Daei! What I am saying is we can not compare this kind of statistics bewteen forwards and midfileders.

Anyways, great job. I would like to see more of this kind of analysis.

Oct 19, 2002
ankaboot said:
Dear Navid-Kia,

I am sorry if I sounded picky. I should have said that what you did is really great and we need more of this kind of analysis. Your analysis showed clearly that Daei had less ball contact compared to midfielders. I agree Daei compared to himself played poorly. I like Daei and I think he is necessay for our team. I also think Daei should be subbed if he did'nt performe. But what made me have the above comments was that some members may refer to this analysis to bash Daei! What I am saying is we can not compare this kind of statistics bewteen forwards and midfileders.

Anyways, great job. I would like to see more of this kind of analysis.

You are right,

my pleasure pal!

A

Arian(ISP)

I personally loved Navid's analysis. I think we need more people like Navid who can take the time and the effort to produce such high quality statistics. Great job and I am sure Navid is really cool about constructive suggestions we well.