After a week of reflection my thoughts on IRN v BHR

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Believe me guys I've waited nearly a week for my anger to subside before spewing out the following words. As I'm typing this I'm trying to keep as calm as possible and am whispering "serenity now" a la Frank Costanza from Seinfeld.

Ever since Branko's appointment as coach, I've disagreed with his methods and don't even rate him as a third class coach. He is only one level above the likes of Shahrokhi, Parvin and Mayeli Kohan in my opinion.

The Ali Daei debate is also one that I've subscribed to for a very long time without the argument ever reaching a conclusion. He has bad game after bad game and just as the anti Daei juggernaut picks up some momentum up comes a team like Laos, Guam or Aftaabe saazie Sanandaj and he scores himself 6-7 goals to justify being in the team for another 6-7 months!

After getting up at 5.30 in the morning and forcing my uncle to drive me to a restaurant on the other side of Vancouver to watch a pathetic display by team melli I was absolutely disgusted. I'm not sure if I was sick from the game itself or the sour "haleem" the restauranteur's chinese wife had prepared.

I don't want to sound cruel but in 90 minutes of football we did not even create one good goal scoring chance. The only threatening move that we made was nullified as soon as the ball reached Daei. A successful lateral ball to his left would've seen Hashemian one-on-one with the goalie but the defender cut off the ball (which incidentally was going to end up behind hashemian anyway).

The biggest insult came when Hashemian was actually subbed and not Daei. We have gone beyond trying to prove to Daei fans that no matter what type of performance Daei displays he will never be subbed. I think the Panama friendly hammered the final nail into that coffin, but at least let this game show what many of us have been screaming for years; that Branko does not know his elbow from his arsehole!
In over 20 years of religiously following this game I have never come across a coach as unimaginative, uninventive, uncreative and one dimensional as this idiot that we have intrusted our fate with.
It pains me to even have to waste moments of my time writing about this pathetic character.
If we make the world cup, it will be purely a miracle. Though our path is easier than last time around I have a gut feeling our former 14th province is going to pip us for the second automatic entry spot in the world cup. I hope I'm wrong. But everything I prophsised about this moron in charge has already come true!

Bijan

Bench Warmer
Apr 18, 2004
Sporthead, I truely did enjoy your post! I certainly do agree with the basic point you're making! thumbs up! I too have been waiting on purpose before writing any thng about the match. Look for it in acouple of days...

Nov 24, 2002
Bijan khan ..you are totaly right dost-e-aziz,branco is just an average coach and our nation and fans made a big name out of him! It doesnt take genius to take this TEAM with all the STARS to world cup.. great coach is the one who with LIMITED POTENTIAL can do magic !

And about MR X( i dont mention the name because ...!) you can be the favorit of ONE COACH , 2 COACHES , 3 but let tell you how many coaches we had since 1993 and how many times he was subbed out ...

Ali parvin, stnako pablokovic, Mamad Mayeli, Viera , Ivic, Talebi, Ciro blazevic, Shahroukhi and branko... and during last 10 Yrs dont tell me he didnt deserve to be sub out even for 1 minut...!

The ONLY and ONLY one who had the BALLS was Mamad mayeli .. Ke onam donya ro saresh kharab shod! Just suggest you guys to watch the type by MAJID VARES , the reporter who lives in england and went to iran to make a long report about national team (the road to WC 98 .)..! Talks about everything on detail !

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
It's good to finally see that I'm not the only one crusading against Branco.
I just don't understand how so many Iranians could be blind to his B.S.!
But again, if it was in our nature to see through bull shit, we wouldn't be ruled by the people we're ruled by. Branco is no different from anyone else in a position of authority in Iran: bull shit as many paople as you can, take as muich money as you can, and advance your personal agenda as much as you can. With that mentality, if things don't work out there is always another country!

zoozanagheh

Bench Warmer
Feb 6, 2005
Sporthead and bi-honar, great post and points. Can't agree more.
To me the problem also involves IFF, it's mismanagement and the culture of our football society, which is a subset of the culture empowered by IR.

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Babr jaan,
Point of clarification: Mr Majid Vares lives in Sydney. I did see the documentary to which you are referring to.

I dare say that more and more people are starting to see the light when it comes to Branko. But one thing people keep bringing up time and again is that "who are we going to replace him with? Parvin, Mayeli, Shahrokhi?"

To me this question only illustrates one's narrow mindedness or short sightedness. Why out of a country of 70 million it is only then names of Parvin, Mayeli, Shahrokhi, Pour heydari and Telebi that crosses our minds when it comes to coaching TM? Why do we think we can only attract a coach whose surname ends in "vic"? Most important question of all is why must we settle for second best we know we are worthy of more!

Bauvafa

Bench Warmer
Oct 26, 2004
great post sporthead. I feel your pain!

The problem is with us Iranians that 1) we tend to worship anything "khareji", it's worse inside Iran. 2) Our sense of judgement is twisted & easily manipulated.

Many (including myself) like & respect for his gentle demeanor and being so calm and well spoken. Add to that a bit of his croat zaboon-bazi then we are already in love with the guy. Baba, he's a professional coach trying to make a living that's all. We expect everyone to be professional but we as fans can't be one in our views. As great of an individual as he is, the only thing that should matter to us is "Has Branco fullfilled our initial expectations in 4 yrs.".
You Be The Judge!

Jun 9, 2004
Canada
Even if we don't want to go with Vatani coaches (qhich I quite frankly don't think we should), there are tons of highly qualified foreign coaches out there that can guide Iran. Hell, bring Ivich back for all I care. Anyone is better than this moron.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
I haven't posted about the game much either because I wanted the disappointment and anger subside, not just mine, but everybody else's too. I agree with you Sporthead, about pretty much everything you said. I have said, time and again, maybe it is I who don't understand this game, and maybe Ivankovic knows something I don't, but as time passes, I am less convinced of that. Anyway, this discussion won't get us very far, and as much I would hate for anyone to get injured, nothing short of an injury to a certain person will improve the situation. When you have a pure forward and a good finisher in Hashemian playing left wing, where he is not so good, and you have the likes of Borhani and Kazemian sitting on the bench who can perform those duties better, it is simply mind boggling why Hashemian couldn't be moved up front with one of those palyers, or even Mobali taking up the wing duties. It will be interesting to see what would happen when Nikbakht is healthy, but something tells me, he will be the one sitting on the bench watching both Daie and Hashemian struggle in their respective positions. I am the eternal optimist, so I am still hoping that we will find a way to at least finish second, but deep down, I have a bad feeling that we will fall short and end up watching those islanders in the world cup! :mad:

Oct 1, 2004
Bikhial baba, don't worry about it, we'll beat Japan and N.Korea, and Bahrain in Tehran.
We'll crush them all. As I have said hundreds of times, I would rather have them start like this and qualify, rather then start great and crash like they usually do.!