Buying a property in Spain?

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I think this place would be the last place you want to get advice for something like that. I could be wrong but I doubt anyone on this forum has bought a property in Spain. Ask me about buying in S Cal and I will give you the ins and outs and a 10 year outlook but Spain? Your guess is probably better than mine.

Jul 28, 2007
To be honest, I thought you and/or Mahdi would have some insights! ;) I was in California (Carlsbad/San Diego) a few weeks ago and had a chance to look at some properties...hanooz too sheshobesh gir kardam. Not sure if there'd be further reduction there or the prices have already bottomed out. Next time I'm there I will give you a buzz. :)

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I know a lot of people who bought in Spain , I couldn't tell you if this is the right time or if things get even worse but you know the old saying " who dares wins !" . all depends when Europe will turn the corner and the Germans and the English and the scandinavians return to the sun with fat wallets.

It's probabley not going to be for another few years ,but if can wait that long you can buy some nice properties from some desperate sellers ...( no ! I dont know any desperate ones ! ) and I dont have one to sell you ! but I know that the most estate agents in southern spain like costa del sol have vanished and now the banks have most of the properties and sell them direct ...good luck .

Irani

IPL Player
Oct 19, 2002
Iran (70%), Others (30%)
I have been to Spain a few times, passing through or presenting at a conference. I knew many Iranians who invested in Spain’s real estate, they sold in Iran and bought in Spain. I have lost touch with them because they forgot me. LOL.

Zob jan, what is your take on Southern California for the next 5-10 years? My take is that it will stay the same in the next 5 years, but 10? I have no clue.

Although there are risk involved but this is not a time to purchase in Spain. More troubles will come to Spain.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I have been to Spain a few times, passing through or presenting at a conference. I knew many Iranians who invested in Spain’s real estate, they sold in Iran and bought in Spain. I have lost touch with them because they forgot me. LOL.

Zob jan, what is your take on Southern California for the next 5-10 years? My take is that it will stay the same in the next 5 years, but 10? I have no clue.Although there are risk involved but this is not a time to purchase in Spain. More troubles will come to Spain.
I think the market will be flat for the next 5 years and maybe up a max of 10% in 10 years. However if you can pick up affordable housing and leverage it and get positive cash flow you don't need double digit growth. You will beat any other investment due to the income. Rates will remain low and could get lower. I wouldn't be surprised if the 10 year bond dropped below 1% by year end. Anyway whatelse could you do with your money? Stocks? You would have to be a pretty damn good stock picker to do better plus you can't leverage it with ridiculosly low rates. Gold? Sure it might pop double digit growth but it gets no income. Again you can't buy gold on leverage either. At the end of the day if you can qualify for a loan buying income property in an area that is in demand is the best investment.

Aug 13, 2003
Is it the right time? Prices have plummeted almost 40%. Will it go down even further?
Spanish bank won't lend unless you have a home with huge equity in it or pay cash. Spanish money supply will be tight. Interest rates will be to the roof. Spain needs 100B Euro to bail it banks. For the time being they will not lend to the majority of people.

May 16, 2022
Speaking about life in Spain I recently found new property in spain which want to buy in the near future. It for living in Spain you need to get visa. You just need to make sure that you meet the requirements for the permit you would like to apply to and having a residence and work authorization won’t be a problem. Especially if you rely on experienced immigration lawyers to help you out throughout the whole process.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
You guys need to talk to Behrou (Bi-honar). He bought a place in Spain and moved there. From what I hear, it was not free from obstacles and problems at all. When they arrived in Spain, it took them over a year with lots of legal procedures and help from lawyers to finally be able to settle down.

Behrooz_C

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2005
A small island west of Africa
You guys need to talk to Behrou (Bi-honar). He bought a place in Spain and moved there. From what I hear, it was not free from obstacles and problems at all. When they arrived in Spain, it took them over a year with lots of legal procedures and help from lawyers to finally be able to settle down.
Where is the guy? He disappeared without a trace. One of the great guys of ISP.