Da NFL Draft for Da Football fans

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I know there is more than just one pro football fan hell we have my Baltimore friend here with a Ravens avatar so I know there are. We can discuss the 2014 NFL draft the surprises, the guys still left and the teams that knocked it out of the ball park. The biggest winner (and I am biased) are the Raiders. For once they drafted smart drafting ILB Mack out of Buffalo bw 6'-2 a solid 250 and has enough speed he could end up being our Von Miller. Then they drafted their quarterback who can sit behind Schuab and learn Carr out of Fresno St. He is big enough and he has a good arm and a quick release he has that one, two, three quick step drop and the ball is gone. Then to add some help to our O line the Raiders drafted a RG out of Mississippi State who can be plugged in right away at 6'3 + and 338 lbs.

Other winners-The Cleveland Browns not only they got their guy CB Gilbert out of Ok St and they still got to trade up in the early 20's and Jonny Manziel is a value pick at that level. He might not be a value pick at a top 10 pick but he is there.

The Bengals lucked out at the #24th pick with CB Darquez Denard out of Michigan State some predicted he would be the Lions pick (I think they picked 10th or 11th) but he will immediately start and help their secondary.

There are many more winners and losers that we can discuss but we will really know in a few years when we see how they develop.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
I dont know what to think about Steelers draft...I am very pleased with them drafting Shazier and Tuitt but i am very sceptical about Archer an unknown prospect that is all about speed and nothing else. They also didnt address their most obvious needs at CB and WR. I dont know on the other hand, i am pretty confident in their war room as they have proven to know what they do. The Cornerback position is really thin but i suspect they want to approach things the steelers way: Stop the run first and attack the QB and make him do mistakes. If you do this effectively, you dont need superb cornerbacks as the passes thrown under pressure are not gonna be accurate and the corners they have would be able to handle the passing game. I absolutely expect them to draft atleast a CB and a WR today though.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I haven't checked the fourth and fifth round yetwhat you guys got a linebacker in the first I watch a lot of big 10 football and he was the bright spot for Ohio State's defense and you guys needed to replace Woodley Shazier is an animal. I didn't know you were a pro football fan well at least we have something in commoncalcommon. I might be a Raider fan but because the Steelers drafted bell out of Michigan State I hope they do well and I like the Steelers because of bell. I'm not mad at the Raiders draft in carr nn the second and an offensive linemen out of Mississippi State in the 3rd

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I also agree that the CB position is thin but I think more and more teens want to draft a big and physical Richard Sherman tight corners and that is what killed Denard and the short corners he's only 5 11 and a half but he plays like he's 6'4 that's why he fell. I also think the running back position this thing this is the longest day when in the history of the modern drafted no running backs were drafted in the first round you had to wait all the way until the second round because it's now more running back by committee.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
After drafting Wesley Johnson (C/G) out of Vanderbilt, the Steelers adressed all their needs. Johnson has been a tenacious no nonsense offensive lineman at Vanderbilt. I watched him play several times during last years college season and he was a solid blocker and quick on his feet. They say he is a great reliable character which is important at pro level.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
You are right Vandy has no o line and it doesn't help that they play in the sec but he was a beast I watched a few vandy games. I like what we did the Raiders addressed offense and defense equally I free agency. and the draft and lol on Staffold dude had a 40 milliodollar contract but he failed his ohysical and the Raiders sent him back to the rams. We got Ayour lb woodley I think he is a beast and will help our front seven.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Great...we got this angry, reckless high energy kid out of UCLA in the sixth round. I love this freak of a linebacker

[video=youtube;DHGyBm7-ssQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHGyBm7-ssQ[/video]

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Raiders drafted and defensive linemen out of Louisiana Tech know most people don't watch Louisiana call but Terry Bradshaw came out of Louisiana Tech and does small schools always produce gems. this is an old example but Howie Long went to an fcs or d1aa Villanova.

Chinaski

Elite Member
Jun 14, 2005
Man hopefully Zumwalt can make the team out of camp. I love this kid. He is born to play for the steelers. He recklessly throws himself into people, he slams people to the ground, throws them through the air...he is a tough kid and a freak and i love kids like that.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
also one thing to remember is some guys take a little longer to develop Rich Gannon for example what's a journeyman throughout most of his career until he got his chance with the Raidersthe Raiders so just because after 2 or 3 years the guy is in producing to the level that you expected don't give up on the guy is what I'm saying because you could be sorry afterwards just ask the Kansas City Chiefs.