Football position that you need the highest football IQ

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
What position in football do you need the highest football IQ? To me, there could only be two answers, my position, the goalkeeper
and the CAM. I don't think you need a high IQ to put the ball int he back of the net or play defense. Thoughts to me I got to say although the offense runs through the CAm,
the goalkeeper needs a higher IQ for one reason.
1 The CAM and striker know where they are going and where they are going to shoot or pass. The Goalkeeper does not, and he has to first analyze and react to the play in a split second, anticipate where the striker is going, and make the save.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
lol please elaborate I do not know what is the role what is the trequartista and what does he doe on the team?
Does he plant the tree on the pitch, so the players have shade? Well, that is a very important role, especially if he is the trequartista, in a hot climate.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
lol please elaborate I do not know what is the role what is the trequartista and what does he doe on the team?
Does he plant the tree on the pitch, so the players have shade? Well, that is a very important role, especially if he is the trequartista, in a hot climate.
I think it means CAM

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Finally Oh I didn't even know that was a sling for caOh I didn't even know that was a sling for CAM.
i an leaning to GL but the CAM
Is like the point guard or quarterback, the offense goes through him. That is a tough call and i still go back and forth on this debate CAM vs GK

Tehol Bedict

Aug 6, 2021
Helvetia 🇨🇭
I'm not a football tactician but from what I know there are a few advanced playmaker roles:

The trequartista is a free roaming playmaker with a large focus on scoring and assisting
The enganche is a classic playmaker/no 10 who pivots midfield and attack, "the hook"

It is more a spectrum rather than discrete roles...

Here is a nice video:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Ok thank you for the breakdown @Tehol Bedict so basically these are technical terms like in football the Mike is the middle linebacker.
The trequartista is Diego Maradona or Zidane.....THE cam

the e enganche iS THE CLASSIC #10 I like the breakdown video thank you. These are just fancy words I think that coaches like to use so they don't sy just CAM.
In Argentina the 4-3-1-2 the primary guy in the hole is the Ingance.
Argentina did switch form the 4-3-3- to the 4-3-1-2. Also many other teams changed their tactics in the 70's 80s and 90s Germany was all about defense first. Klinsmann changed their stripes in 2006. This is all good stuff I will also re visit this, so it sticks. Thank you for sharing but I guess we can say
CAM, HOOK, Striker/FW
That guy in the hole, the IMPACHE might have to have the highest IQ when i think about it, the guy isolated on the 1

There is now a new position the CB the center-back did not exist before, it was just defensive players. The CB can bring the ball up and pass it to the CAM and sometimes the CB even scores. So from time to time, new positions or roles get created.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Tehol Bedict when you break it down
Argentina 1970
----0-----0----0----
-----0-----0----0---

0------0------0-----0---

Argentina TODAY
----0--------0
----------0--------------(the INGANCE
0----0----0----(up to here nothing has changed)

0-----0----0----0----

The only thing they really did is move ONE forward back and isolated him, so he is the Ingance and now he has to distribute it to one fo the two strikes.
It is a just a minor wrinkle in their offense but overall, pretty much the same attack style offense you saw in they 70s so we can say that the 4-3-1-2, works almost like de-facto 4-3-3- and i bet you can easily switch formations. This is simnilar to the 4-2if you want in games, just bring the ingace up front, and you can throw the other team off. If I were a coach, I would utilize the more than one formation, just like in boxing first two rounds start out fighting Southpaw, then you switch to right handed, throws people off. What I prrefer

The "Flat Four" is considered a defensive version of 4-4-2. Sports commentators on TV like to talk about two back-fours, or a double row. The "big brother" of the “Flat Four" differs in that its basic formation at midfield looks like a diamond and is therefore referred to internationally as "Diamond Midfield".

Why do I love this so much because you can either go defense or attack.

So you got the 4--4-2 your RW and LW's also play a key role. When your team is attacking, your RW and LW will jion the two up front so it will be a 4-2-4 and they can cross it in. When you are on defense or the other guys are attacking, you bring the RW and LW back, so you are kind of in a 6-2-2- or 9 in a box with the goalkeeper. The only way though you can get away with this is if you have excellent wingers.
The GK and the other team's defense won't know what hit them.

But in order to execute this, 1 your wingers need to be fast and well-conditioned because they are going to be running up and down all over the field- you need guys like Alphonso Davies who are fast and can run a marathon. These guys are the glue to your offense, they can cros it in your strkes It is also ideal for teams who do not have the most elite play makers up front and in the MF so if you are lacking there, you can compensate with good GK, CB-defense and RW LW play. Remember not every club can afford the services of killer strikers or mid-fielders so you have to get creative. Not all countries have a classic #9 or #10 or a true CAM either. Difference between the two.
Although they do operate in roughly the same parts of the pitch, the difference is that the false 9 drops into this space to impact the game while the number 10 is free to float around, keep the ball, and instigate play from deep if necessary.
Now we are getting into breaking down who are the real football experts, and
The dudes who just watch ESPN did memorize stats in which club does which player play for. i can dig it brother, the casual or pretend fake football coach, can't comment on this page, if they do, we will laugh at them. Now we're getting into the heart of football, the strategies, tactics and formatioms and or position breakdown.
Like I couldn't care less if you know how many goals Ronaldo scored or what clubs did he play for. You can't bs your way into this comversation or in depth analysis of the x's and O's as we say, in the States either you know or you don't. It's OK if you don't, just don't be a poser fan. Just; wear your jersey, watch the game and enjoy

Attachments

Last edited:

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
In my humble opinion: none
It is a fairly dumb game. Our love for the product and our bias for our teams makes us drawing excessive concussions.

It is not playing chess, the tacticians define the tactics which are not rocket science, then players practice it under supervision in pieces and then in combination which requires basic understanding, physical preparedness, and ability to follow commands. Then practice games to hash out details to make sure players do what they are supposed to do. At every level of the encounters players need skills and physicality to win one-on-one situations in defense, attack and scoring opportunities, or playmaking alike. They also need to be psychologically strong and motivated that is a combination of trait and training.

Exceptionally we have seen players who have shown smart off the field. A lot of them go less miles with their money than they should, get into trouble more than average person does, have little education, do not ascend socially, and even can not turn into successful sport managers. Even when they have college degrees, it is usually a mediocre one handed to them that they don't even know what to do with it. Lots of time we brag about their basic bilingual skills after living in the new country for a decade!

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Funny you mentioned that Me the Russians do believe football is chess on grass. On surface it looks like a dumb and easy game. However, upon further inspection, the technical aspect and tactics are not for dumb people. A smart coach can be the difference between a good team being ok and a good team being fantastic. See Bayern Munich when they were under Niko Kovac and then when Hansi Flick took over. It was the SAME TEAM but the difference was night and day. Why is it one coach can be successful, and another isn't, with the same team? That means it is not a 'dumb game." It is not as strategic as other sports, such as American football, where you have like 8 coaches on the sideline. I will put football in the same category as say basketball.
On surface it looks like an easy game. You can explain the rules and game of soccer to a person who never watched it before, and after one game, they would get it. If there is extra-terrestrial life and they watch us play a sport, they would understand the rules of soccer. However, there is far more to it, like how elite forwards could put a bend and curve that ball into the back of the net, over the wall. That doesn't happen overnight, players like David Beckham crafted their skill over the course of over a decade of playing professional football.
Let's use our Team Meli as a classic example: Why is it some coaches like CQ can have a tenure and be successful, when others such as Afshin Ghotbi, Ali Daei,Galinoie, and Mayle Kohan are not? The verdict is still out on DS yes, he did a good job, but we had a built-in team that would have qualified, with anyone as the coach, probably even Kohan this time could have had Iran qualify.
I would like you to re-consider the "football is fairly a dumb game." On the surface fine but when you look at the technical aspect, the tactics and formations or the technical shots, it becomes more complex. You can have 6 year olds play soccer and you will see one level of soccer. Then you can have Bayern play PSG and you will see the game being played, at the highest level. There are different levels for the game.
So while I respect your take on football is a relatively dumb game, I must respectfully disagree. On surface, you are correct but upon further inspection, not so much. I will admit it I have a bias to football because I still play it for fun, competitively from time to time so my love for football, might clout my judgement a but but I think the nuances of the game are more complex, than what meets the eye.
There are people who think American Football is a relatively dumb game and it is just a bunch of big guys smashing into each other, and the team with more brute force wins but that is not necessarily true. People think on the surface, football is 22 idiots chasing the ball for 90 minutes, and at the end the Germans always win (an English national team player actual quote).

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Furthermore, I would argue that there is genius and beauty in simplicity. The game can be played anywhere in the world, for a relatively cheap price comparted to other sports. All you really need is shoes and a ball, sometimes you don't even need the shoes, just the ball. You can use two rocks as goal posts, like in Iran and in Russia. Anyone from anywhere in the world can have a chance and get out of the ghetto, if they are good enough, this is why it is the world's sport. It is enjoyed by almost everyone, minus us weirdo Americans (i don't know why) but one reason is you couldn't advertise in football. Now they have like a slight break for players to catch their breath and you can show adds. Even in America, if you ask Americans underr 40, football/soccer is the new #3, surpassing baseball.

It cis also growing in countries like Canada which 20 years ago, didn't have much of a football presence. Now they are formidable in CONCACAF and their women's team finally got a W against team USA so they are going up. You don't really need to do much to the game, just keep it the way it is for the most part. The beautify is the relative simplicity but once you inspect further, the tactics and technical aspects are rather complex. In the USA there is a saying KISS which stans for Keep It Simple, Stupid (not that you are stupid), that is why it is so great but there are multiple layers.
Like take my spot GK could you throw a football or kick it 50 meters, or have the footwork, and coordination? Could you anticipate where the striker is going or how the play is developing, read and react, in a split second? That's why I love that position the most and you got to be tough to play it and take those balls going 55-60 mph but always I digress, just my take. Feel free to disagree, we all have our opinions. Also, I didn't want a super long post so I broke it down into two, so it is more readable.