My views on Iran-Bahrain game

Oct 20, 2002
UAE
I have watched the game for the 2nd time (i know it is boring) just to get a better idea about how TM did..

First I understand why everyone is upset. I think it is not just the result or the performance. I think it is more the feeling that TM needed to take revenge.. and when it didn't happen everyone was mad.. So if we had gotten the same result (with the same performnce) against Japan or even N. Korea no one would be this upset.

Ok about the game, it was obvious that Branko went for a draw from min one. He wanted to steal a goal in the 1st half but because both teams were too causious having a clear-cut opportunity was absoulutely difficult.
Over all the 1st half was a better half for TM.. but u hve to give some credit to Branko for making a quick adjustment when he felt Bahrain was pressing in the first 15 min of 2nd half by bringing in Navikia to take control of the mid and calm down the game which TM succeeded in.

About overall performance of TM, I think the main reason TM played the way it did was due to:

1- Being afraid to lose to Bahrain which could have very bad psychological effects on the team for the next games.

2- Lack of good prep. and a strong friendly game (like the one we had with germany before qatar game). And we almost paid for that if wehad lost to bahrain.

3- Not having all the players that branko could use, especially nikbakht and azizi..

4- Bahrain's being in good physical shape.. and in the same time, TM not being in its ideal shape due to reason #1 above.

About the players:

1) I think it would be hard to judge them since the team played all defense and some were playing out of position (such as hashemian who was good in 1st half but i think he was tired in the 2nd). I was not happy at all with hashemian when i watched the game 1st time but I kind of changed my mind when i watched it for the 2nd time.

2) Zandi was alright, but as I said since it was all defense u could not see his real abilities, plus he was not too "hamahang" with the rest.

3) Karimi had no choice but to dribble because all the players that he wanted to pass to were tightly marked so his dribbling was not a bad thing in most cases, especially close to 18.

4) Kia worked hard but he could not make his runs because the bahrainis knew him well so everytime he wanted to make a run on the flank there was at least one playing running with him.

5) Ka'abi was mainly defending so we didnt see his runs.

6) defense was not bad over all, but once in a while the "khar too khar" defeding which is a typial iranian thing was present.

I think this draw can hurt Bahrain more than TM, at least on the paper. I would take a slow start and a strong finish over the opposite (like in 98 and 2002)!! SO for now let's just say: we will wait and see how TM will do in the next game.

Oct 18, 2002
what about daei

what you think about him :))))))

Come on, having read your comment all of them makes sense. So the problem is not Daei is the whole team with all your good explanations

Bong

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
good post saeed agha...

but i dont think Branko missing Niki and Azizi was a major factor...after all, he had a bench full of bright people who he didnt use.

I think apart from circumstancial problems which we faced, the real problem was (yes you guessed it!) DAEI! Im not saying he was the worst player, but Branko not subbing him was very wrong. You have like Hashemian hugging the left flank as if he is supposed to be Ryan Giggs, and you have Daei being slow and clumsy, and you have a bench full of creative talent which you cannot use because its blasphemous to sub Daei. So Branko takes off Zandi!

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
If I want ot be positive or turn things to positive direction I say maybe Branko
played after a tie to achieve 3 advantages. 1- He dose not like to show his
cards before Japan game. 2- He knows if Iran tie in manama Bahrai would need
to come for a win in Tehran since he belives Iran can top Bahrain before that game.

Oct 20, 2002
UAE
Daie24 and Bong:
Yes Daie was bad and eneffective, but he never is subbed out so usually I don't consider him in my analysis because he is always there like a ref! By the way this is not a Daie bashing post, I usually tend to not say much about him as he has his positive things such as putting pressure on the defense (which he did in a good way especially in the 1st half which lead to many inaccurate passes by Bahrain).

If I was branko I would have brought in Borhani for Daie in 2nd half, but then again Branko didn't go for a win in the first place so that sub was unnecessary!

Babak G

News Team, ISP Managers Team
Feb 13, 2003
Parts Unknown
The performance in general was poor,other than the defensive players.

I dont think Daei was the worst on the pitch.We dont expect much from him,he was poor,yet sometimes it happens.But Karimi was awful.Worse than Daei or at least just as bad.

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
In order to sub Branko Daei should take his captain armbound out and give it
to otheres and if it should happen often he should not be the captain any more.
I think Branko is not able to tell him so.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
I don't know what Branco was thinking, but considering Mazrooq had Hashemian completely locked up on the left, exposing the fact that he is really not a winger, it would have made a lot of sense to bring somebody like Borhani or Kazemian who are fast and technical to the left and putting Hashemian up top instead of Daie. His insistance on keeping Daie on the pitch baffles me. I can understand that he thinks the leadership and experience is a valuable commodity, but when it tactically makes sense to take him out, he needs to have the courage to do it. Oh well, I hope he makes the right choice next time.