Pele's 125 best

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@RaminS thank you for the corrections and yes you can cherry pick good players from teams but I do believe that every 30 years or so, the level of competition increases. With the advancements of medical technology, players are having longer careers. Back then, if you tore an ACL, your career was over. I think back in the 50's and 70s you had the traditional good teams, but it was TOP HEAVY. The teams at the middle could never compete with the teams on the top but that is not the case today. The training, facilities, doctors, and level of competition is better. Back then every good team like Brazil, England, France, Germany or Argentina would rely on that key star. Today, those teams don't play like that, even though they have those star players, they play more like a complete team. Players back then used steal toed boots, during Pele's time. What we can say as well is yes it was FOOTBRAWL more so than football, it was a more physical game but really it was like Rugby/football. Thank you for actually not insulting me this time, that is why I am coming correct at you. See I can be peaceful if you are.
You have to agree with me that it is hard to compare players from different eras, you have to compare players from the same era. I just looked at the stats then Maradona won in 82, 86 and finals in the 90s
So compare Pele to guys in Pele's era like Eusebio, Maradona in Maradona's era, Zidane in his era, Messi/Ronaldo in their recent era, and now the new generation is like Halland and Killian M'Bappe.

@oghabealborz If Pele didn't pick Lev Yassin the black spider, then who did he pick? Dude won a European Championship and they went to another finals I believe. The man CARRIED the Soviet Union to me he is the GOAT goalkeeper of all time because he was not 6'5 like Manu Neuer but you could not put the ball in the back of the net on him. He really was "the Black Spider. " That was dumb of Pele if he did not mention Yassin btw I have his jersey, custom made Btw my bad i thought for SURE Maradona was on the 78 team. So he was on the team but did not play, he was probably still too young and developing.

For my money, Diego Maradona and Zinedine Zidane were the BEST midfielders EVER, they had such a high football IQ. They made everyone arrund them better and that is what a good midfielder. They could score if necessary or get everybody else involved. That is why they were worth their weight in gold. That is why I think the CAM and the GK must have the highest football IQs on the team. You can be a good team without an elite striker but i f you don't have an elite CAM and or GK, you are dead meat.

I think Lev Yashin is the only GK in Russia who has the distinct honor of playing in the AFC and the UEFA I believe Russia at first played in Asia but then somewhere in the middle of his career, they moved to UEFA. That is pretty cool, please correct me if I am wrong.
Honorable mentions GOAT GK- GG Buffon Peter Schmechel, and Manu Neuer and that FABULOUS Iranian GK in the 90s who would give up all of the goals. I think his name was Golampour and the fans would call him Sorakpour lol that takes a talent as well, at least he was consistent in being bad and giving up goals lol. Then we got Abbaszadeh right after, I believe.

Attachments

Last edited:

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
@RaminS thank you for the corrections and yes you can cherry pick good players from teams but I do believe that every 30 years or so, the level of competition increases. With the advancements of medical technology, players are having longer careers. Back then, if you tore an ACL, your career was over. I think back in the 50's and 70s you had the traditional good teams, but it was TOP HEAVY. The teams at the middle could never compete with the teams on the top but that is not the case today. The training, facilities, doctors, and level of competition is better. Back then every good team like Brazil, England, France, Germany or Argentina would rely on that key star. Today, those teams don't play like that, even though they have those star players, they play more like a complete team. Players back then used steal toed boots, during Pele's time. What we can say as well is yes it was FOOTBRAWL more so than football, it was a more physical game but really it was like Rugby/football. Thank you for actually not insulting me this time, that is why I am coming correct at you. See I can be peaceful if you are.
You have to agree with me that it is hard to compare players from different eras, you have to compare players from the same era. I just looked at the stats then Maradona won in 82, 86 and finals in the 90s
So compare Pele to guys in Pele's era like Eusebio, Maradona in Maradona's era, Zidane in his era, Messi/Ronaldo in their recent era, and now the new generation is like Halland and Killian M'Bappe.

@oghabealborz If Pele didn't pick Lev Yassin the black spider, then who did he pick? Dude won a European Championship and they went to another finals I believe. The man CARRIED the Soviet Union to me he is the GOAT goalkeeper of all time because he was not 6'5 like Manu Neuer but you could not put the ball in the back of the net on him. He really was "the Black Spider. " That was dumb of Pele if he did not mention Yassin btw I have his jersey, custom made Btw my bad i thought for SURE Maradona was on the 78 team. So he was on the team but did not play, he was probably still too young and developing.

For my money, Diego Maradona and Zinedine Zidane were the BEST midfielders EVER, they had such a high football IQ. They made everyone arrund them better and that is what a good midfielder. They could score if necessary or get everybody else involved. That is why they were worth their weight in gold. That is why I think the CAM and the GK must have the highest football IQs on the team. You can be a good team without an elite striker but i f you don't have an elite CAM and or GK, you are dead meat.

I think Lev Yashin is the only GK in Russia who has the distinct honor of playing in the AFC and the UEFA I believe Russia at first played in Asia but then somewhere in the middle of his career, they moved to UEFA. That is pretty cool, please correct me if I am wrong.
Honorable mentions GOAT GK- GG Buffon Peter Schmechel, and Manu Neuer and that FABULOUS Iranian GK in the 90s who would give up all of the goals. I think his name was Golampour and the fans would call him Sorakpour lol that takes a talent as well, at least he was consistent in being bad and giving up goals lol. Then we got Abbaszadeh right after, I believe.
Where are you getting this information that soccer players were wearing steel toed boots? This has never been allowed in FIFA competitions.
Also Russia has never participated in AFC. They have always been in UEFA.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
@Payandeh Iran lol thank you for your service and which Seal team are you apart of? Were you in Abbottabad Pakistan and the guy who took out Binladen lol BTW I'm just having some fun, it's a Friday and there are no classes at BYU.
I will research that when did Lev Yassin and CCCP leave the AFC and go to Europe, it was not called UEFA back then I believe that came to be, in the 90s.
I know it was sometime during Yassin's career.
and @RaminS you mentioned about 10 players on that list so that kind of proves my point. What about the other 200 footballers who played in that era, they were just filler or role players. So basically teams back then, the good teams, would rely on 1 or maybe 2 key super stars but they did not play as a complete team. We still have those super stars but now a days, it is more of a team game, with individual, one-two touch passes. Before, people would just make spectacular individual plays, especially the South American teams.'''

Last edited:

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
@Payandeh Iran lol thank you for your service and which Seal team are you apart of? Were you in Abbottabad Pakistan and the guy who took out Binladen lol BTW I'm just having some fun, it's a Friday and there are no classes at BYU.
I will research that when did Lev Yassin and CCCP leave the AFC and go to Europe, it was not called UEFA back then I believe that came to be, in the 90s.
and @RaminS you mentioned about 10 players on that list so that kind of proves my point. What about the other 200 footballers who played in that era, they were just filler or role players. So basically teams back then, the good teams, would rely on 1 or maybe 2 key super stars but they did not play as a complete team. We still have those super stars but now a days, it is more of a team game, with individual, one-two touch passes. Before, people would just make spectacular individual plays, especially the South American teams.'''
Niroo Havayi

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
The other 200 were good players. The 10 I named were superstars.
Again Russia and the Soviet Union never played in AFC and never had to switch to UEFA. They were always in UEFA and UEFA have always been called UEFA.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Niroo Havayi
Is this it? I did a basic google search
I also know in Iran you have to do 2 yeras of mandatory service and now you can't buy your different anymore. So thsi is like an iranophile group then yes? Good stuff though anyways mywhole point is you got to compare players from the same era. So you can't compare Maradona to Zidane. You have to compare Zidane to like Garrincha
https://www.bing.com/search?q=what+...ANNTH1&refig=68a50d6df1cf435eb6ee1c9f6cb6d8cf

Tehol Bedict

Aug 6, 2021
Helvetia 🇨🇭
I'm not sure why Pele didn't pick Yashin - they knew each other from two games and in one of them Yashin did a masterclass to keep the score respectable.

Who knows, maybe some hidden beef.

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
I'm not sure why Pele didn't pick Yashin - they knew each other from two games and in one of them Yashin did a masterclass to keep the score respectable.

Who knows, maybe some hidden beef.
It's his list of 125 living players. In 2004 Yashin was already dead.

Dec 30, 2014
My memory let me down,
I was not born yet, but I clearly remember that Maradona was left out of the squad by the coach at that time. My Argentinian friends (yes, I made friends before I was born) were all aghast at that decision. In 1982 I thought Argentina had a stacked team that would challenge for the cup, but somehow they fizzled out. They played some good games though.