There is a 90% chance of an earthquake measuring 6, hitting Tehran

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
That is ture. I actually posted a news like this which stated in next 10 years Tehran
will be hit by an earthquake richter>=6. There fore many statebuildings is about to
be moved to Isfahan. I think Isfahan is Iran's future capital. How ever if I was a politition I would start building a new town for that purpuse. Zahandeh rood has
not so much water and very soon finito. Then Isfahan has no sea nor river only few
old monomental building.

AMirza

IPL Player
Mar 19, 2004
I shiver even thinking about it.
I witnessed many Borjs going up in Iran - I also witnessed all the beam a ceiling members used as columns on these structures !! let me elaborate for those who may not know what I am talking about.
When a structure is designed - especialy a multi level structure; a structural engineers calculates the maximum weights that are expected to be loaded on all beams and columns. Upon these calculations, the engineer designs the structure and identifies the exact sizes for Tir Ahans. The problem in Iran is that Tir Ahans are not available in variety of sizes. And those which are available are sold in the Black Market (just like everything else). As a result the structures are always either way over designed, or under designed, based on Tir Ahans that happen to be available.
Most importantly - The column units are obviously much stronger and very different than beams (saghfi horizontal uniyts) - and often more difficult to be found. As a result many of these structure have been build with beam material used as column !! Although many builders have the concience of welding 2 beam units together and use it as a column - but I have personaly seen structures in which simple beams were used as column. If you are wondering how these structures get approved - note that there are a ton of free lance/municipal inspectors who have no problem signing off for $500-$1000 payback.

Saeedb

Bench Warmer
Jul 7, 2003
BT it is true. I read that in peike Iran too. It was weeks agao. But my sister works
in energy ministery. She says there are moving to Isfahan.
Sly, Tehran is at least close to Karaj. I thought it would be better that the new capital
of Iran has some green areas, sea, river or something. It is my taste. Yours can be different.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Masoud jan, they don't even know anything about how to build a house that holds during an earthquake. My brother got a new house in Tehran last year and the architect had told him it's "zedde-zelzeleh"! As I hear one of the things that makes a hous "zedde-zelzeleh" is that it must have a certain distance to the next neighboring houses (specially if they're not zedde-zelzeleh"). But this house's walls almost touch the other's walls. That's how "zedde-zelzeleh" it is! :rolleyes:

Saeedb said:
BT it is true. I read that in peike Iran too. It was weeks agao. But my sister works
in energy ministery. She says there are moving to Isfahan.
Sly, Tehran is at least close to Karaj. I thought it would be better that the new capital
of Iran has some green areas, sea, river or something. It is my taste. Yours can be different.
oooooohhh....when you talk about Tehran, nobody thinks of Karaj's green area man. :) People mostly remember the smoke and the polution! But yeah, a green area and water is to prefer. Although I don't think zayandeh rood's water is going to finish! Afew summers ago, they shut it down because of lack of rain during the previous winter but apparently it has snowed and rained alot during the recent winters over there so...

But you are right! I hear the meeting of OPEC leaders is gonna be held there soon too! :eek: