What now?

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
We have an old team which will be even older for the World Cup. Time to get rid of the senior citizens which essentially means major house cleaning of Hajsafi, Khalilzadeh, Rezaian, Ebrahimi, Ansarifard and maybe even Taremi. Even Beiranvand should probably be replaced with Niazmand due to his age and mistakes. We need new blood. I'd say also a new coach but given our budget, availability of coaches and their lack of desire to come to Iran GN is probably the best we can get. Unless maybe a lateral move for Yahya, Daei or Nekounam.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
We have an old team which will be even older for the World Cup. Time to get rid of the senior citizens which essentially means major house cleaning of Hajsafi, Khalilzadeh, Rezaian, Ebrahimi, Ansarifard and maybe even Taremi. Even Beiranvand should probably be replaced with Niazmand due to his age and mistakes. We need new blood. I'd say also a new coach but given our budget, availability of coaches and their lack of desire to come to Iran GN is probably the best we can get. Unless maybe a lateral move for Yahya, Daei or Nekounam.
I think it's time to let Alireza Jahanbaksh and Saman Ghoddos to go as well. I agree, we might take some lumps and have some growing pains but have a team full
of guys who are 25 and younger.

rahim

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
behbahan
Name 10 young players that are TM material!
We do have few likes of khazbavi or the Sepahan kid, but our clubs, except Sepahan and folad, have failed to produce quality players.
I agree that we need new blood and is time for at least 8-10 to be set aside, but will be paying the price not paying attention to youth development and our U23

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
Name 10 young players that are TM material!
We do have few likes of khazbavi or the Sepahan kid, but our clubs, except Sepahan and folad, have failed to produce quality players.
I agree that we need new blood and is time for at least 8-10 to be set aside, but will be paying the price not paying attention to youth development and our U23
I feel like Hajsafi, Khalilzadeh, Rezaian and Ansarifard should be given a retirement match. i would include Ebrahimi but he already announced his retirement from TM.

Keeper: I don't really see a young one on the rise. Assuming we go with 3 keepers the starter should be Niazmand (28). The backups should be from amongst Beiranvand (31), Hosseini (31) and Abedzadeh (30). I think Beiranvand has been too shaky as of late to keep his spot and probably needs a jolt for him to raise his game.

Right back: For now Moharrami (27) has a lock on the position. Yousefi (21) is young and could be blooded in for a backup and future starter.

Center back: Kananizadegan (29) and Hosseini (27) have the experience and aren't too old yet. Fallah (22) and Hazbavi (20) should be given time to acclimate to the team.

Left back: For now it's Mohammadi's (30) position. I feel like Jalali (22) and Reyvandi (19) should duke it out for a backup but I'm giving a slight edge to Reyvandi.

Defensive mid: It's Ezzatollahi's (27) position to lose. Pichkah (23) is a backup that might even take over sooner than later. If all else fails there is still Cheshmi (30).

Right mid/winger: Jahanbakhsh (30) has the experience and armband. Gholizadeh (27) is just as good. Further down the line is Torabi (29).

Left mid/winger: Mohebbi (25) and Ghaedi (25) are there for now. I would like to see Sayyadmanesh (22) tested there (I'd say or the opposite side but it's aready too crowded with more established players there).

Attacking mid: Ghoddoos (30) has been doing fine. Karimi (30) is an emergency backup. Mehri (26) is also a possibility.

Forwards:Azmoun (29) will probably keep his spot till the World Cup. I'm not sure about Taremi (31) due to his age and sometimes drop in form. I feel like he needs to be given the same treatment as Beiranvand as opposed to the fixed superstar position. Eckert (27) and Zahiroleslam (21) should be invited and tested.
We should also cap tie Gharebaghi (19) while he's hot. Moghanlou (29) also should get a few more games to be compared to the rest if ony because there should be some reward for becoming the top scorer.

rahim

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
behbahan
Good post. I’m aware of most of the players you named.
Zahiroleslam , I have heard, may not have the desire of being capped by Iran.
The pool you named is promising but lacks tremendously in experience. We have 2 qualifiers games coming up soon, so no time better than now to groom these guys.

IMO, the best goalie in Iran is Haghighi. At least at par with the 3 regularly invited. Have no idea why he has been ignored since Brazil.
The kid from Sepahan , whose name escapes me, is future of our mid field!

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
Good post. I’m aware of most of the players you named.
Zahiroleslam , I have heard, may not have the desire of being capped by Iran.
The pool you named is promising but lacks tremendously in experience. We have 2 qualifiers games coming up soon, so no time better than now to groom these guys.

IMO, the best goalie in Iran is Haghighi. At least at par with the 3 regularly invited. Have no idea why he has been ignored since Brazil.
The kid from Sepahan , whose name escapes me, is future of our mid field!
I think Haghighi is way past his prime. He did go through a down period after Brazil where at times he didn't even have a club. I think he just assumed he would be the automatic starter for TN and did not put the required effort into his career (kind of like what I think Beiranvand is doing now).
Are you thinking of Hosseinnejad from Sepahan? I've heard much about people wanting him on TM but I don't know much about him and his abilities.

rahim

Elite Member
Oct 23, 2003
behbahan
I think Haghighi is way past his prime. He did go through a down period after Brazil where at times he didn't even have a club. I think he just assumed he would be the automatic starter for TN and did not put the required effort into his career (kind of like what I think Beiranvand is doing now).
Are you thinking of Hosseinnejad from Sepahan? I've heard much about people wanting him on TM but I don't know much about him and his abilities.
Yes, I think he is the guy. I saw him play in couple of games earlier in the season, impressive.
Unfortunately he is suspended for Sepahan’s upcoming asian game.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
در پست اول دلیلش را توضیح دادم.
Moghanloo is like Enayati light. Neither of them could/can compete at international level but perform(ed) well at local level.

Suggesting Moghanloo to replace Azmoun or Taremi is something that only Amir Ghalenoee can come up with.

RaminS

Feb 19, 2009
Moghanloo is like Enayati light. Neither of them could/can compete at international level but perform(ed) well at local level.

Suggesting Moghanloo to replace Azmoun or Taremi is something that only Amir Ghalenoee can come up with.
I'm not suggesting to replace them but rather have him available as a backup if they others can't play.