Technology Thread

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
The reality is the whole matter is complicated.

Nobody really knows! all i know the corporate masters are really afraid of their cheap labor in China, vietnam and .. to be disrupted.

if i were to bet on it eventually the corporate masters are gone go to Trump's team and say you had your posturing for the election
and let us make our money like were a minute ago.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
AMD Ryzen 3900x with 12 coers --> half the price of Intel ....

Intel arse is being kicked very hard

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
apparently they unveiled some kind of 64 core data center platform as well.

I am just not educated enough to comment on cooling, power and ... variables.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
call me old-fashion, but dude, nothing comes close to Intel :)
I agree with you in a sense. However, Intel has been using its reputation for a while and been very slow in the last few years

[1] They completely and utterly failed in mobile market, their Atom processor is non-existent in mobile market and really sucked. Their low-end processors are really horrible as well whereas other companies including Qualcomm and AMD are entering low-end chromebooks and laptops.

[2] 3 years ago when AMD came up with their Ryzen processors, Intel claimed that single core performance is not the same and promised 7nm technology.
3 year gone and they slowly moving to 10nm which is behind TSMC. In every benchmark, AMD is doing well and honestly the only reason Intel is doing so well is their reputation in the last decade. However, AMD is back and Intel can't sit on their ass anymore. AMD is a fabless company which mean they only concentrate on design whereas for Intel to move to 7nm, they have to build the whole facility that might take years.

All and all, this is the time to buy AMD stock :D

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I agree with you in a sense. However, Intel has been using its reputation for a while and been very slow in the last few years

[1] They completely and utterly failed in mobile market, their Atom processor is non-existent in mobile market and really sucked. Their low-end processors are really horrible as well whereas other companies including Qualcomm and AMD are entering low-end chromebooks and laptops.

[2] 3 years ago when AMD came up with their Ryzen processors, Intel claimed that single core performance is not the same and promised 7nm technology.
3 year gone and they slowly moving to 10nm which is behind TSMC. In every benchmark, AMD is doing well and honestly the only reason Intel is doing so well is their reputation in the last decade. However, AMD is back and Intel can't sit on their ass anymore. AMD is a fabless company which mean they only concentrate on design whereas for Intel to move to 7nm, they have to build the whole facility that might take years.

The problem with AMD is they rely on Taiwan semiconductor.

The future was really Itanium that came out 15 years ago.

but we were never able to build good enough of software to make itanium a viable architecture.

going back to real life, I would be interested how intel's FAB advantage plays in.

but you are right with machines like Chromebooks which have a closed architecture ARM players can easily come in.

in data center market there has been rumors of dropping X86 for 6 years now. but no news yet.

I would say the reports of intel's demise are premature. but one thing is for sure Intel will be under pressure from pricing point of view.

The potential growth was priced into their stock price a long time ago. It's too late to capitalize on their latest offerings. The whole sector will be doing pretty well for the next decade though (even that is priced into the stock price already!), so holding their stock is probably a good idea for now.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Costa Rica Is Close to Achieving 100% Renewable Energy Production

Costa Rica is set to become the first country to achieve 100% renewable production, specifically for electricity, after operating for 311 days straight on renewables.

In the span of the last four years, Costa Rica has generated close to 100% of its electricity from renewable resources. This is a result of its geographical advantage over other countries due to a high amount of rivers, volcanoes, and solar power which invariably allow for a high renewable energy output. Additionally the country’s population of mere 5 million people provides an added advantage to achieve this feat. Furthermore, the Costa Rica also plans to reduce its carbon footprint to zero by the year 2021.

Costa Rica has led the world in carbon neutrality by investing early in renewable energy resources and worked consistently towards becoming environmentally sustainable. As a result, the nation has an abundant supply of geothermal renewable sources that are responsible for much of the necessary energy to make the country function smoothly. Also, the country has an added gain of consistent rainfall, which means their hydroelectric plants can generate excess of energy.

Costa Rica plans to continue its initiative of environmental sustainability well into the future with construction of three 50 MW geothermal power plants costing approximately US$954 million. The country also plans to make optimum use of their several, mostly active, volcanoes, and invest in an environmentally sustainable future. Additionally, the country also has plans to announce a 305.5 MW hydroelectric plant that is set to power over half a million homes, which is a surplus amount considering the country’s population of 5 million

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Ford and others are years behind. they dont have the software, they dont that EV charging network and nobody associates them with EVs.

will be a failure for quite a while.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Guys I am so thrilled with my new laptop an HP Pavilion 15" I5 processor. I put a few upgrades it had 1TB HD drive so I replaced that with a fast SSD drive 480 GB from Samsung. I also upgraded the Ram from 8GB to 16 and the thing is lightening fast. It is faster than my Dell XPS Quad Core. Heads up, don't ever buy a Dell XPS, Dell is ok but get an Inspiron or something else. The problem with the XPS is the screen will go bad on you.
My friend has a PC repair shop he tried to salvage it by getting a new keyboard and that part worked but it would not load up windows. With my military discount I got the laptop for under $600. I paid another $125 from Amazon for the SSD drive and about $80 for DDR 4 8GB of Ram. It is touch screan as well I am good to go and love the sound bar plus the keyboard. Did anyone have experience with HP before? I need this for my Masters in Education High School English program at UNLV. I also got Avast for virus protection. Do you recommend any good pop up blockers I just use chrome. Is there any other thing I should download like a malware? It got good reviews on CNET and one of the best Laptops that will not break the bank. My mom likes this more than her $2500 expensive macbook pro.
hp.jpg

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Guys I am so thrilled with my new laptop an HP Pavilion 15" I5 processor. I put a few upgrades it had 1TB HD drive so I replaced that with a fast SSD drive 480 GB from Samsung. I also upgraded the Ram from 8GB to 16 and the thing is lightening fast. It is faster than my Dell XPS Quad Core. Heads up, don't ever buy a Dell XPS, Dell is ok but get an Inspiron or something else. The problem with the XPS is the screen will go bad on you.
My friend has a PC repair shop he tried to salvage it by getting a new keyboard and that part worked but it would not load up windows. With my military discount I got the laptop for under $600. I paid another $125 from Amazon for the SSD drive and about $80 for DDR 4 8GB of Ram. It is touch screan as well I am good to go and love the sound bar plus the keyboard. Did anyone have experience with HP before? I need this for my Masters in Education High School English program at UNLV. I also got Avast for virus protection. Do you recommend any good pop up blockers I just use chrome. Is there any other thing I should download like a malware? It got good reviews on CNET and one of the best Laptops that will not break the bank. My mom likes this more than her $2500 expensive macbook pro.
View attachment 42732
If you only need to create documents and browse the web, a Chromebook is good enough.