Technology Thread

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I got 32 on my desktop, and I find it it never gets close, especially if I am booted in Linux. Windows even use about 10-12 GB of it at max.
what is your daily OS? Linux or Win?
Linux for almost 2 decades :D
I only have used windows partition for microsoft flight simulator

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I have 16 with an I5 and I feel like it perform fine. i could have used a better SSD though.

I only need more when i running windows subsystem for linux and docker and crap like that.

if i ever start running vms on machine again. i might need to jump to 32.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Nvidia released new generation of graphic cards
RTX 3090 is a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeast

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
I was just about to post the Nvidia news. What's the most you guys have ever spent on a video card? I just can't bring myself to spending more than $250 on a single component and even that is quite expensive. These cards are going for $1500!!! And to know that they'll be worth less than half that amount a year later...damn.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I was just about to post the Nvidia news. What's the most you guys have ever spent on a video card? I just can't bring myself to spending more than $250 on a single component and even that is quite expensive. These cards are going for $1500!!! And to know that they'll be worth less than half that amount a year later...damn.
I can understand that a casual gamer shouldn't spend that much ... and also usually most of the time, people buy the mid-tier cards because if you buy the top end card, you need also big power supply and big case.
However RTX 3090 is pushing 8k gaming with high frame rates, it is just pushing the boundaries of technology which makes me excited.

I have bought GTX 1060 (for 400 bucks) and 1080Ti (for 1200 bucks) 2 years ago.
I gotta say for 1080 gaming GTX 1060 does great for most jobs but the 1080Ti is just spectacular.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
how do you guys set custom sms notification?
I want might android to light up if the Mrs. sends an SMS.
but foreverybody else i want it to retain those notification, until i open up the app.

kind of like the do not disturb mode and how it can be overridden based on putting people in favorite.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
how do you guys set custom sms notification?
I want might android to light up if the Mrs. sends an SMS.
but foreverybody else i want it to retain those notification, until i open up the app.

kind of like the do not disturb mode and how it can be overridden based on putting people in favorite.
You could customize the beeping for different users ...

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I use Google Signal for messaging and you oculd click on particular user and turn on and off notification ... so you have to turn off the notification of the app and turn on notification per user.

Oct 18, 2010
i think she is of iranian origin.

PhD candidate’s invention was called ‘bulls—t’, but can now detect early signs of COVID-19

In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, 34-year-old Azadeh Dastmalchi found a new function for her existing work on a medical-grade smartwatch to detect and monitor for early virus symptoms.

Dastmalchi’s start-up, Montreal-based VitalTracer, and its product the VTLAB smartwatch combines biosensors and artificial intelligence to measure human vital signs, blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory rate, blood oxygen saturation, body temperature, and electrocardiogram (ECG) and photoplethysmography (PPG) signals.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-smartphone-detection-155404456.html

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
LOL -- her company is the biggest joke I have ever seen. pre-order a watch that measures PPG (like any other watch) for 1000 dollars with a ATmega328 – 16 Mhz processor :)
Also the company has zero clinical studies + zero certifications (FDA or Health Canada) + zero patent

vaghan khandidam

Oct 18, 2010
LOL -- her company is the biggest joke I have ever seen. pre-order a watch that measures PPG (like any other watch) for 1000 dollars with a ATmega328 – 16 Mhz processor :)
Also the company has zero clinical studies + zero certifications (FDA or Health Canada) + zero patent

vaghan khandidam
actually she is from the uae or at least studied over there.

Ajman University of Science and Technology
Degree NameB. Sc
Field Of StudyBiomedical Engineering
Dates attended or expected graduation2003 – 2008

Ajman, United Arab Emirates, 2003-2008
Concentrations: Medical imaging, Medical instruments.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Inside the HP Nanoprocessor: a high-speed processor that can't even add

The Nanoprocessor is a mostly-forgotten processor developed by Hewlett-Packard in 1974 as a microcontroller for their products.Strangely, this processor couldn't even add or subtract, probably why it was called a nanoprocessor and not a microprocessor.Despite this limitation, the Nanoprocessor powered numerous Hewlett-Packard devices ranging from interface boards and voltmeters to spectrum analyzers and data capture terminals.The Nanoprocessor's key feature was its low cost and high speed:Compared against the contemporary Motorola 6800, the Nanoprocessorcost $15 instead of $360 and was an order of magnitude faster for control tasks.

http://www.righto.com/2020/09/inside-hp-nanoprocessor-high-speed.html