European Super League MEGA thread

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
Number 10 statement

And we now have an official statement from Number 10, which reads as follows:

"The Prime Minister and Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden met with representatives from the Football Association, the Premier League and football fan groups this morning to discuss action against the proposed European Super League.

"He expressed his solidarity with football fans and agreed they must always be at the heart of any decisions about the future of the game.

"He reiterated his unwavering support for the football authorities and confirmed they have the government’s full backing to take whatever action necessary to put a stop to these plans.

"All attendees agreed that action was necessary to protect the fairness and open competition we expect to see in football, and to uphold the fundamental principle that any club should have the chance to play and win against the biggest players in the game.

"The Prime Minister confirmed the government will not stand by while a small handful of owners create a closed shop.

"He was clear that no action is off the table and the government is exploring every possibility, including legislative options, to ensure these proposals are stopped."

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006

CLUB ANNOUNCEMENT

An open letter to our fans

Arsenal Media 20 Apr 2021

https://www.arsenal.com/news/open-letter-our-fans

The last few days have shown us yet again the depth of feeling our supporters around the world have for this great club and the game we love.

We needed no reminding of this but the response from supporters in recent days has given us time for further reflection and deep thought.

It was never our intention to cause such distress, however when the invitation to join the Super League came, while knowing there were no guarantees, we did not want to be left behind to ensure we protected Arsenal and its future.

As a result of listening to you and the wider football community over recent days we are withdrawing from the proposed Super League. We made a mistake, and we apologise for it.

We know it will take time to restore your faith in what we are trying to achieve here at Arsenal but let us be clear that the decision to be part of the Super League was driven by our desire to protect Arsenal, the club you love, and to support the game you love through greater solidarity and financial stability.

Stability is essential for the game to prosper and we will continue to strive to bring the security the game needs to move forward.

The system needs to be fixed. We must work together to find solutions which protect the future of the game and harness the extraordinary power football has to get us on the edge of our seats.

Finally, we know this has been hugely unsettling at the end of what has been an incredibly difficult year for us all.

Our aim is always to make the right decisions for this great football club, to protect it for the future and to take us forward. We didn’t make the right decision here, which we fully accept.

We have heard you.

The Arsenal Board

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
MANCHESTER UNITED WITHDRAW FROM EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...man-utd-withdrawal-from-european-super-league

Manchester United will not be participating in the European Super League.

We have listened carefully to the reaction from our fans, the UK government and other key stakeholders.

We remain committed to working with others across the football community to come up with sustainable solutions to the long-term challenges facing the game.

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
MANCHESTER UNITED WITHDRAW FROM EUROPEAN SUPER LEAGUE

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...man-utd-withdrawal-from-european-super-league

Manchester United will not be participating in the European Super League.

We have listened carefully to the reaction from our fans, the UK government and other key stakeholders.

We remain committed to working with others across the football community to come up with sustainable solutions to the long-term challenges facing the game.
House of cards crumbled

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Real Madrid president Florentino Perez insists the Super League will continue.

The six English clubs involved have now withdrawn.

That though doesn't seem to be something the Real Madrid president is particularly worried about and as two of its founding members looks ready to withdraw.
"No," Perez told L'Equipe when asked if he was worried about clubs leaving the Super League. "The situation is serious and everyone is in agreement to carry on with the project and seek a solution. No one is under pressure.
"I am convinced that Bayern Munich and PSG will join us in the end, but we have not yet spoken to them. Teams like Lens will also be able to access [the Super League] and they will be able to sell their players to the best clubs, something they can no longer do because of the crisis.
"You have to realise that what's happening now is like what happened in 2008 with the financial crash

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
John W Henry's message to Liverpool supporters

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/431970-john-henry-s-message-to-liverpool-supporters#

Liverpool Football Club principal owner John W Henry has this morning issued a message to Liverpool supporters.

I want to apologise to all the fans and supporters of Liverpool Football Club for the disruption I caused over the past 48 hours.

It goes without saying but should be said that the project put forward was never going to stand without the support of the fans. No-one ever thought differently in England. Over these 48 hours you were very clear that it would not stand. We heard you. I heard you.

And I want to apologise to Jürgen, to Billy, to the players and to everyone who works so hard at LFC to make our fans proud. They have absolutely no responsibility for this disruption. They were the most disrupted and unfairly so. This is what hurts most. They love your club and work to make you proud every single day.

I know the entire LFC team has the expertise, leadership and passion necessary to rebuild trust and help us move forward. More than a decade ago when we signed up for the challenges associated with football, we dreamed of what you dreamed of. And we’ve worked hard to improve your club. Our work isn’t done. And I hope you’ll understand that even when we make mistakes, we’re trying to work in your club’s best interests. In this endeavour I’ve let you down.

Again, I’m sorry, and I alone am responsible for the unnecessary negativity brought forward over the past couple of days. It’s something I won’t forget. And shows the power the fans have today and will rightly continue to have.

If there’s one thing this horrible pandemic has clearly shown, it’s how crucial fans are to our sport and to every sport. It’s shown in every empty stadium. It’s been an incredibly tough year for all of us; virtually no-one unaffected. It’s important that the Liverpool football family remains intact, vital and committed to what we’ve seen from you globally, with local gestures of kindness and support. I can promise you I will do whatever I can to further that.

Thanks for listening.

Liverpool Football Club statement

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/431956-liverpool-football-club-statement-20-april-2021#

Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.

In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions.

takbetak

Elite Member
Apr 27, 2006
LOOOOL. Exactly my feeling. well done.

Chelsea fans make brilliant Stoke City point in European Super League protests

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I wonder who did the PR for the ESL. I doubt they even had someone or given any thought to it. It was a disaster in terms of public relations. If Perez was all they had, no wonder they failed.
it was conducted very poorly indeed.
There was a league in early 2000's which was called XFL started by WWF Vince Macmahon. That was a diaster as well but at least the league lasted half a year.

These morons chose the worst year, month and atmosphere to announce such a thing. Then they fucked it up further by putting out caricature-like promotion material for the press. They had not a single respectable advocate lined up.

Football has been a disaster during covid. The quality of games has been total shit. The 'super league' teams claim to be the elite of the game but they've been playing garbage football for the most part. Messi and Ronaldo are fading and there is absolutely no replacement for them among stars. Football has been on a decline lately. The only thing keeping fans interested was the rivalry and locality of clubs.

All that, and these fucking idiots decide to attack the locality of the game to please the 15-16 year old boys in India and China. Very smart.