Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is "Persian Feta" Persian?

Just came across a type of feta sold in a supermarket here called "Persian Feta"!
    It was Feta kept in oil (guess it was olive oil) mixed with spices. Obviously I had
    the same look of "is that a Persian cat" look when I actually saw a Persian cat for
    the first time! For the Persian cat, I had at least heard the term but did not know
    a Persian cat looked the way it looked. But I had never seen or heard of such a
    thing as Persian Feta before. So the first thing I did when I got home...yeah you
    guessed it damn right, I did a search on google and found that Yarra Valley
    Persian Feta has won some award at some stage and is known to be the best.
    http://www.leplanet.com/gourmetfood/...arravalley.htm

Yeah right, down under, where I live produces the best of "Persian Feta"!

Anyway, I am baffled now and It is not because of Drinks; Qarapet is not
    here anymore. he moved to another continent and to Motori's place long
    time ago!

Wonder if you guys know more about it and if it is really a Persian thing!
    Last edited by The_Referee; 31-01-2007 at 12:08 AM.
    The only good thing ever to come out of religion was the music. -George Carlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Referee jAn,
    Pure Persian feta must be made with Sheep milk and I've never seen Paneer in oil in Iran but nowadays with gourmet revolution around the world every thing with an exotic name will sell. People are paying top dollars for a drink from starbuck because of the name "Chai".
    BTW: I'm in trouble. Mr Quarapet has settled down installed all his drums, plumbing, boilers and other brewing apparatus but now he wants to convert to islam and wants me out......
    Please read the noble Quran with your mother language. Is it too much to ask?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just the thought of Paneer in oil makes me sick. No agha Referee, it ain't no Persian feta.

Post Thanks / Like
    Feta is a Greek word. It's Greek cheese. In Iran it's called Panir Sefid and has very similar taste and texture. It's probably made the same way.

The French made a cheese and called it Feta which made the Greeks go mad and they complained to EU. So the Greeks took an EU junction a couple of years ago according to which only the cheese made in Greece can be called Feta. In other words it must be genuinely Greek.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Motori View Post
    Referee jAn,
    Pure Persian feta must be made with Sheep milk and I've never seen Paneer in oil in Iran but nowadays with gourmet revolution around the world every thing with an exotic name will sell. People are paying top dollars for a drink from starbuck because of the name "Chai".
    BTW: I'm in trouble. Mr Quarapet has settled down installed all his drums, plumbing, boilers and other brewing apparatus but now he wants to convert to islam and wants me out......
    Motori jan,
    paneer faghat "lighvan" لیقوان
    if you catch my drift.

paneer goosfandi (spring time) is good too.

and if moslem Qarapet needs a moemen roommate,mashdi just learned his "osool din" :
    توحید ،معاد،امامت،رسالت، سید خندان

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Iranpaak View Post
    Just the thought of Paneer in oil makes me sick. No agha Referee, it ain't no Persian feta.
    LOL. Iranpaak jan, you are a true Iranian.
    We knew that when we had Pele in our team, we had God on our side- Carlos Alberto.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL Motori and Mashdi.

I know this Qarapet guy. The only reason he would convert to
    Islam for would be when he has fallen for a Muslim and she
    is asking him to covnert. Even then, she must have agreed to
    drinks...Qarapet will never give up on drinks, ever!

It is getting more and more interesting, maybe that
    was the only reason he has moved out of here, in chase
    of a chick...

Would be interesting to see him praying while drunk...

Post Thanks / Like
    Chakerim Sirabi Jan.

Referee Jan, are you sure the paneer was not in some kind of Ab Namak which over time had changed color and character, providing breeding ground for some kind of mold which was mistaken for oil or olive oil?

Post Thanks / Like
    Iranpaak Jaan,

I read the ingredients and it was definitely in oil. It looked oily
    anyhow! There were some spices in it too, like I could see some
    little black balls of, I guess, pepper in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    More from the link I mentioned earlier:

Yarra Valley Dairy's flagship cheese is the Yarra Valley Dairy Persian Feta , a wonderful soft and creamy cows milk feta packaged in a unique can. Pop the lid, and savor this wonderful feta, hand made and marinated in an infusion of pure olive oil and Australian herbs and spices. This unique cheese is made by first placing the cheese in brine for at least two weeks in order to develop flavor and texture before being washed to remove excess salt and marinated in olive oil and herbs. Yarra Valley Persian Feta has won a number of awards, including a gold medal at the London World Cheese Awards.

Post Thanks / Like
    NO!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's a marketing gimmick. I live in a town where there's not a large Persian population, however I was surprised to see Persian pancakes in an all american diner! It was basically noon lavash with peaches in it!

Persian sounds so good, people try to attach it to their product just to sell! It sounds exotic.
    You are a DEE DEE DEE!

Post Thanks / Like
    perhaps this fusion was inspired by the appetiser/salad served in Persian restaurants consist of sliced cucumber, tomatoes and feta cheese with drizzled olive oil and Pepper.

Although putting Feta in Olive oil is more reminiscence of Mediterranea than Persia

Moreover Cheese Faghat Lighvan, lets see someone Market our wonderful cheeses such as the Lighvan and Amool or that ghazvini cheese that is like raquaford or blue cheese

Lighvan a cheese in the league of its Own

or

Ligone always number 1

Lighone bAhAsh joomleh besAz (brought to you by the Tarbiz dairy association and the Daryani baghghAli group)
    Practice Random Kindness
    and
    Senseless Acts of Beauty

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Khoshteep View Post
    Moreover Cheese Faghat Lighvan, lets see someone Market our wonderful cheeses such as the Lighvan and Amool or that ghazvini cheese that is like raquaford or blue cheese

Lighvan a cheese in the league of its Own

or

Ligone always number 1

Lighone bAhAsh joomleh besAz (brought to you by the Tarbiz dairy association and the Daryani baghghAli group)
    BolghAr ham bad nist Khoshteep Jan.

Post Thanks / Like
    behtarin paneer ro hameye mardom midoonan keh paneere tarbrize!!
    You are a DEE DEE DEE!