Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stock purchase programs are wonderful money-makers. If you don't take advantage of them you're crazy. Simple as that.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^Well if I invest it would be after I have a TWO worth of funds because guess what? It took me over two years to find the current job I have so sometimes you need to stretch it to two years. For me that is simple I don't have to worry about rent or mortgage. I am not a rich Iranian American kid. I would call myself well off but certainly not rich so I don't have mommy and daddy to bail me out. My dad makes good money a salary most of us would like but he is approaching 70 now and he is finally going to retire after I begged him to stop. Dude just fell into the Irooni trap of liking his power position as the senior engineering project manager but I advised him that his health is more important and he has enough money. My mom makes good money as a real estate agent and she ahs a modest three bedroom house in the good part of Glendale, near Oakmont Country Club but again I am not Donald Trump Irooni rich let's get that one strategist.
    I calculated my expenses and it comes to $10K a year. If I put another 20K aside that will take care of expenses. I only make about $1600 a month right now(I know embarrassing make your jokes guys well it's part time so give me a break and I do work on the side teaching piano) so you calculate that X24 months, you are taking $38,400. Total you are looking at 58,000 but people don't think about other variable factors.

What if your transmission on your car goes bad?
    What if I get an injury in martial arts and Obama care covers 75% but even the 25 % is expensive. Well good thing I have VA so I don't need to worry about that one however, things like pills and other stuff costs money?
    What if the pipes in my house go bad and I need to replace those?
    etc
    So you factor in x 2 for that so until I have $100K saved in a nest egg and another $150 K saved up for either UCLA or ND Law(ND would be about 25K more in tuition plus housing in South Bend) now we are talking 350k. I am not touching anything until I have 350K settled away in a safe low interest bearing account so I can get a hold of it when I need it because it SUCKS being laid off for two years and you need to all of a sudden stretch one years salary into two. One good thing I learned from the Navy was we would go over LESSONS LEARNED and you can apply this to your life mistakes. I know I am I am 32 I made some mistakes but I also did things right but I am going to follow things to a t. Fortunately I calculated everything so I am good to go now I just need to continue living a modest lifestyle. I could pull an IROONI MOVE and buy NEW BMW but my car is an 09 Camry with 115,000 miles on it. It still drives fine. What people don't get is you are not supposed to live within your means, you are supposed to live slightly below your means, at least at first, until you become say 50 and a baller.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I would invest 5 to 10 years down the road, it would be in an S$P 500.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamMeli View Post
    If I would invest 5 to 10 years down the road, it would be in an S$P 500.
    I would recommend the XLV as your first adventure.
    it is an all time high.

but going forward 20 years. my belief this index is more likely to best out of the big existing ones.

It is an index fund for all big healthcare related companies.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^Well I see XLV is aT $67 per share. If I get a surprise windfall in a year or so I will play with some stocks just to get my feet wet and like you said test the velocity of the stock market and ups plus downs and learn when to buy more stocks when to sell things like that do a CBA maybe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have a practical opinion on why Obamacare would make healthcare stocks generally grow slower or faster or make no difference? In layman's terms I guess it's a step between private healthcare and public healthcare. Based on data (comparing the US with Canada/Australia), fully private healthcare seems to bring much bigger profit margins and incredible stock growth.

Is it a good idea to assume healthcare will not have the growth potential it would've had without Obamacare?

Post Thanks / Like
    by the way here is a note that may apply to everybody.

stocks, bonds, forex, are great stuff for your retirement account.

but to make money in real terms (unless you have gift for markets that others don't have) is to save your money
    take risks and start businesses.

restaurant business is one of the hardest businesses to get right. but by god it is a printing press if you get the concept right for that particular locality.

people have made money of rights to distribute ice cream.

if you like to be your own boss. I think that is the greatest investment you can make. is to save your money. keep your eyes for businesses you like (there are ton sites for buying selling bossiness) when the economy goes to the $hitter you might be able to buy and run it better.

but as always it is risky. but at least you are solely relying on yourself for your own destiny.

I myself quit my job a while back and I am trying to build a product. at some point you need to make a decision do you want to work for others or work for yourself. there is no wrong or right answer. it is also great to partner with people who you trust. because really running a business alone is very very very hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Starting a business may have risks and initial costs but I think the biggest deterrent and cause of failure could be the incredible amount of "life" that is given up for it. In general, someone starting a small to mid-size business is guaranteed to be a total slave to that business (more of a slave than they would've been to a job with similar pay) for at least 5-10 years.

That's for a successful business. For failed ones, you can add long-term illnesses like depression, anxiety, cancer and all that to the list of "costs".

I know many successful business owners. Financially most of them are set. Mentally and health-wise, most of them are pretty much f***ed. Food business owners are among the worst-off. They literally give up a life-time for financial success.

There are exceptions but you can't count on exceptions.

I've had 5 failed businesses (well 2 of them really were total failures from the get go!) and 1 semi-successful one in my life. I'm still hoping to make it in one of future attempts

9. Likes ChaharMahal, Flint liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bache Tehroon View Post
    Is it a good idea to assume healthcare will not have the growth potential it would've had without Obamacare?
    First of all companies like J&J and other drug makers are basically not affected by Obama care.

the device manufactures saw small tax on their product and republicans will likely repeal that and obama will sign to show an olive branch.

secondly for insurers like Aetna, United Health Care ,.... Obama care is just guaranteeing them more business.

sure the government is limiting their profit (no more than 30% of revenues can be spent on non-health care related things)

but it is likely that even those things will get watered down after obama.

but in general America is getting older. Healthcare inflation is greatest of all things.
    40% of Medicare expenses happen in the final month of an old person's life.
    the fundamentals of health care sector is like no other.
    people negotiate when they buy a car and postpone it.
    people do that with their housing.
    but when it comes to healthcare people like live and they spend they money if they have it.

11. Likes Bache Tehroon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    CM got it right. There is a reason insurance companies jumped in bed with Obama. They got themselves “risk corridors”. Of course, you and I don’t even have a sidewalk, let alone a corridor to get through life. Obamacare poured a trillion dollars into healthcare. Where do you think that money went? On the surface it is called a “subsidy" to policy holders. In reality, it is given to the insurance companies so they can underwrite their increased risk. They will insure dead people if someone else pays them. Check out VGHCX for yourself.
    They can again be what they once were

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought T Rowe price health sciences a few years ago (prhsx) and has done quite good.
    When companies are over regulated they will find a way to make more profit. The lending business has been strangled by regulations but we make about 75% more since we were hit with the regulations.

Post Thanks / Like
    CUBA up 35% today now that US is going to normalize relations with Cuba.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zob Ahan View Post
    CUBA up 35% today now that US is going to normalize relations with Cuba.
    What do you mean Cuba is up 35% do you mean Cuba's GDP, currency, stock market(do they have one) what? Well it's about time our two countries got along. Congrats on your stock doing well.

@BT is right you are crazy not to take advantage but if you have other obligations first, like saving two years of your annual salary, then you are going to need to be patient. I used to be impatient back in the day but the Navy quickly changed that the joke is hurry up and wait so you learn patience. Again if you have the funds to do so take advantage but live within your means and have back up money just in case. Personally, until I have two years of my annual salary saved up and 3 years of law school saved up, I'm not investing in $hit except for the few properties in LV I have. It's so dirt cheap but you still gain revenue. Again my dad hooked it up fat 100,000 for a 160,000 town house but I also got another condo with his help(he has a very high credit report so better deals) for 80K 3 bedroom in Summerlin and that recently got appraised for 100,000. Last but not least, thank goodness my Town House went up because I got worried I bought it for 450(through the VA loan) but I put a huge portion down so it's already paid off(again family help) We did some handy work and spruced up the kitchen and bathroom with the help of a good Armenian buddy of mine and that house got appraised for 700 recently. However, this is on paper and I am going to save all of that for a rainy day because when you have been THROUGH THE RINGER and LAID OFF FOR TWO YEARS, that changes you and you become MUCH MORE CONSERVATIVE.

I'm sure everyone here at one point experienced being laid off. It is not a good feeling isn't it guys? Especially for those of us who have graduate degrees and military experience because you begin to really doubt your own abilities. Anyways your experiences and socioeconomic background shape how you think and since I am not uber Persian rich and just well off, I think differently than most spoiled brats here in LA. Remember I had to work on a $1200 a month budget when I started in the Navy and I had to pay $700 just for uniforms. I still act like I am a 2nd class petty officer in the Navy (in terms of finances we are talking not pretending I'm still in and walking around town in my uniform)
    Last edited by TeamMeli; 17-12-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    finally the madness with cuba is over.
    hopeful the travel ban would be lifted by congress as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    You Americans have been missing out on one hell of a travel destination for decades. Cuba is a wonderful place. I wish the citizens of Cuba health and prosperity. They've endured so much bullshit for stupid reasons it's criminal. They're generally very very nice people.

@BT is right you are crazy not to take advantage but if you have other obligations first, like saving two years of your annual salary, then you are going to need to be patient.
    No, you should actually use the stock purchase program of companies to achieve your saving goal. Discount purchase programs (what most decent employers offer) allows you to make a great return on your investment with pretty much ZERO risk. They offer you the stock at a discount (10-15-20%) and you can sell it right away for a nice profit. No one should ignore such offers. I've made thousands doing this (basically doing nothing).

There's no catch to it except that you part with your money for a period of 3-6 months (sometimes a year but rarely). There is no risk other than the company going completely bankrupt!