Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 94
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
    Posts
    19,356
    Post Thanks / Like

    Dawkins conversation with his 10 year old daughter (our geniuses in this forum should note ...)

    excerpt from a conversation Richard Dawkings had with his 10 year old daughter probably sometime in the early 90s ...


    topics:
    critical thinking, insistence upon evidence defines thinking


    next time someone says something to you that sounds important, think to yourself, is this the kind of thing people know because of evidence, or, the kind of thing that people believe because of tradition, authority, or revelation !


    Also, next time somebody tells you something is true, why not ask them what kind of evidence do you have for that? and if they don't give you a good answer, I hope, you think very carefully before you believe a word they say.


    he mentions that : 'I was trying to tell her 'how' to think about certain things, not 'what' to think, but 'how' to think. And I was tryhing to encourage her to always to demand evidence, so we know something only if there is evidence for it.


    he adds: 'I was also trying to warn her against various wrong ways of thinking, that are based on:
    - tradition, for example 'our people' have always believed X so you have to believe X
    - authority, professor such and such, or priest such and such, believe X so you should also believe x or finally
    - revelation, I have this inner conviction X is true so you should believe it to be true too


    you should only believe it when there is evidence for it.

  2. Likes Henry Chinaski, TeamMeli liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    His daughter transferred to my uni for her clinicals, very pretty girl a year below me.

    Was too shy to go up to her though, my game was weak

  4. Likes Mahdi, Sly liked this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
    Posts
    19,356
    Post Thanks / Like
    at least you knew the father wouldn't come after you with cousins armed for honor killing ...

  6. #4
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
    Posts
    19,356
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Strangemoosh View Post
    His daughter transferred to my uni for her clinicals, very pretty girl a year below me.

    Was too shy to go up to her though, my game was weak
    which university was that ?
    what did you study?

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by keyvan_pars View Post
    which university was that ?
    what did you study?
    Medicine at Cambridge. I think my dad and her dad would have got on though, my pops is a Dawkinsian atheist. I'm more just agnostic (you can't be sure of anything in this world, so who knows there might be a God/yahweh/allah/flying spaghetti monster, who are we to say...)

  8. #6
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
    Posts
    19,356
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Strangemoosh View Post
    Medicine at Cambridge. I think my dad and her dad would have got on though, my pops is a Dawkinsian atheist. I'm more just agnostic (you can't be sure of anything in this world, so who knows there might be a God/yahweh/allah/flying spaghetti monster, who are we to say...)
    one might follow the same very crisp logic and say who are we to say IT EXISTS ...

    the only issue is that the billions that say IT EXISTS are fucking this planet up the ass and the hundred of millions that say it doesn't exist are taking degrees at universities.

    that is huge difference and the proof is present. just tune into any international news station and see/hear the proof.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Dawkins conversation with his 10 year old daughter (our geniuses in this forum should note ...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    I have never heard of a shia agnostic
    Neither have I, you can't be religious and agnostic . You either believe in bullshit religions or you don't.

    Did you have a point by stating the obvious or are you just being a prick as per usual?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dr Strangemoosh; 18-04-2017 at 08:11 PM.

  10. Likes Sly liked this post
  11. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski View Post
    No if my memory serves me well, you cheap fuck were talking in praise about shiitism a while back. Thats all
    Go fuck yourself you pompous, ignorant, worthless waste of carbon, oxygen and other elements. I don't give a shit about your shiism, sunni-ism or any shit religion. Your memory is obviously as fucked up as your crappy excuse for a personality.

    Now Tehol Beddict, Chinaski or whatever other 100 usernames you've used to garbage the forum over the years, go back to your 500 downloaded pdfs and epubs and learn how to debate with people properly instead of spewing egesta every single day of your life.
    Last edited by Dr Strangemoosh; 20-04-2017 at 12:45 AM.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    26,177
    Post Thanks / Like
    It starts with being Shia and soon you are an IR agent too for this guy! It surprises me though? Everyone here supports TM! It's weird he didn't start name-calling people from the beginning! Must be a recent revelation!

    *Your love makes me strong. Your hate makes me unstoppable!
    Ronaldo (The Brazilian)
    *Life is like a roll of toilet paper! The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pricks like this cum-bandit and General are two sides of the same coin, admittedly GP is more harmful as his support of Eshalic republic brings more damage, but this wanker Chinaski/Tehol Beddict/Sir Jizzalot thinks that you can just shout at everyone, like a schizophrenic walking mazily on a pavement. "I've downloaded 500 pdfs", do you want a fucking medal for that? Even if I agree with what he says, his style of talking to people is so wank, it is the polar opposite of people like Chris Hitchens and Richard Dawkins. Absolute antithesis to those guys, who know how to make a point clearly and succinctly, and do their put-downs with class. This guy doesn't know class if it came up to him and urinated on his face (though he might enjoy it, who knows...)

    I've never said anything about shia or sunni or any other fairytale crap and he comes and ejaculates on this thread. Someone just needs to give him a proper smack.
    Last edited by Dr Strangemoosh; 20-04-2017 at 01:04 AM.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    26,177
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Strangemoosh View Post
    Pricks like this cum-bandit and General are two sides of the same coin, admittedly GP is more harmful as his support of Eshalic republic brings more damage,
    I really don't know if it's the ideology that is more dangerous or the personality! To me, irrespective of his ideology, this guy is even more dangerous than Khamenei. He's rather like Jannati but as you say, on the other side of the coin. I really don't see a difference between oghdeii sepahis in the streets of Iranian cities and this guy.

    *Your love makes me strong. Your hate makes me unstoppable!
    Ronaldo (The Brazilian)
    *Life is like a roll of toilet paper! The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.

  15. #12
    Mahdi's Avatar
    Mahdi is offline News Team
    ISP Managers Team
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    Mjunik
    Posts
    6,571
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Strangemoosh View Post
    His daughter transferred to my uni for her clinicals, very pretty girl a year below me.

    Was too shy to go up to her though, my game was weak
    I'm glad Dawkins did something right in his life.

  16. #13
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
    Posts
    19,356
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank you gentlemen for TEREKMOONING in the thread.

    yani yek kiloo zoghal lakhte mikhordam nemitoonestam intori berinam be heykale yek topic.

    dametoon garm.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    6,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by keyvan_pars View Post
    thank you gentlemen for TEREKMOONING in the thread.

    yani yek kiloo zoghal lakhte mikhordam nemitoonestam intori berinam be heykale yek topic.

    dametoon garm.
    If you got a backward religious belief ascribed to you by some rabid cocksucker how would you feel about it?

    To quote an early 20th century philosopher Sir James Vardé in his seminal 1907 paper A treatise on Bants


  18. #15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Not The Eshaalic Goozpublic !
    Posts
    19,356
    Post Thanks / Like
    bro what is that gotta do with the price of beer ?

    i am saying you guys should stick to the topic. this was meant to be about critical reasoning and evidence.

    nevermind the bollocks here is the sex pistols....

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •