استادیوم پوشکاش

k-EYVON

Bench Warmer
Oct 20, 2003
Tonight Germany faces Hungary in Puskas Stadium in Budapest.
I am going there to watch this game.
I will describe the atmosphere for you guys.
Are there any Hungarian players doing a top Euro club
I know one Hungarian plays for Osasuna and scored the
2nd goal vs Real

k-EYVON

Bench Warmer
Oct 20, 2003
Well , I guess you know Germans won 3-0 and It was not an exciting friendly either.
Puskas Ference Stadium ( btw , Hungarians have the family name followed by the first name
system and I wonder if that is common anywhere else) is located near Keleti Railway Station being
a poor neighborhood with a bit of crime going on. You often find people -
mostly Arab immigrants selling stolen items around there. From this station it is a 20
minutes walk to Puskas Ference Stadium but I took tram-bus no.80 which dropped me at Stodinook station.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stadium_Puskás_Ferenc

Around the stadium you find poor people selling pumpkin seeds and other tanagholat.
It brought back a load of memoires from Amjadieh scene in 70s. To get in the stadium
I walked with the crowd and ended up with a huge pack of people moving very very
slowly towards enterance: I told myself maybe something is holding us up , but a look
at the faces of people around me revealed the unpleasant truth of this being buisness
as usuall! We were moving at a pace of 5 meters per 5 minutes and finally we get close
and I saw hat there was only one door to get in and they security checked you twice!

As I walked up the first thing I saw was at penalty spot kicking a ball to make it 1-0 Germany.
I was 5 minutes late but did not miss this PK! Behind the north goal is apparently where die hard Hungarian fans sit.
They kept their
"ria ....ria ....hoongeria!"
going even though Hungarian call their country Magyar but
I guess this chant was meant to be understood by foreign rivals! There was no replay
scoeboard just one showing the picture of goal scorers and the minute they scored.
Germans played like Germans at some points: hard and dangerous side tackles when
they gave up a posession leading to danger. At one point they dropped the little Maygar
right winger and crowed shouted in anger to protest and reminding them it was their own
butt on the line if they were looking for tough action 2 weeks before WC finals! There were about
300 German fans cheering their side sitting on opposit goal end. Like Iranian
fans at Azadi , Hungarians also like a dialouge-cheer chant ( but no "roo-beh-roo amadeh baash" notice!)

I left 5 minutes befoe the whistle trying to have a safe and quick exit. I walked my way
back to Keleti to catch the Budapest metro thinking this was my share of live action
WC 2010 glory so better be satisfied!

Last edited:

k-EYVON

Bench Warmer
Oct 20, 2003
This game brings to mind the final game of 1954 World Cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_FIFA_World_Cup_Final

3 bad calls are mentioned that could have saved Puskas team!
Only two years later , Hungarians saw Russian tanks rolling on Budapest
on October 23 , 1956 - aday which is now comamorated as Hungarian National Day
and the true Hungarian Revolution.

[video=youtube;cKS1cKmsrCI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKS1cKmsrCI[/video]