2018 ACL Final, First Leg(11-03-2018): Kashima Antlers(Japan) vs Persepolis(Iran)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 24, 2002
Both b Branko and CQ failed to go to the second stage, so to me, they achieved the same so far.
Agha bikhial, are you comparing 1 tiny one point against Angola, a nation which was qualified once to WC to our best ever results wise WC(2018)?

Losing 1-3 to Mexico.... And specially the way we did it.

This time we were a goal away from making it to the second round, Japan made it with the same number of the point.

Beyond results, it was the disaster created in our football after such a failure in 2006, took us 5 years to recover a bit when CQ took overr, took us 10 year to have a competitive squad again, the damage that Branko has done to this football was way more than his contribution.

I have talked with many people of different nations who follow the game and they all praised our performance this time.
That is more than enough for me as a fan...

You can't even compare two coaches.

Last edited:

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Agha bikhial, are you comparing 1 tiny one point against Angola, a nation which was qualified once to WC to our best ever results wise WC(2018)?

Losing 1-3 to Mexico.... And specially the way we did it.

This time we were a goal away from making it to the second round, Japan made it with the same number of the point.

Beyond results, it was the disaster created in our football after such a failure in 2006, took us 5 years to recover a bit when CQ took overr, took us 10 year to have a competitive squad again, the damage Branko has done to this football was way more than his contribution.

I have talked with many people of different nations who follow the game and they all praised our performance this time.
That is more than enough for me as a fan...

You can't even compare two coaches.
I agree with you. CQ is a better coach. But ultimate accomplishment is going to second stage that wasn't accomplished. Our victory in the first game was a fluke too but we performed great against two power houses. Let's see if CQ wins Asian competition. This is very important in judging him.

Nov 24, 2002
I agree with you. CQ is a better coach. But ultimate accomplishment is going to second stage that wasn't accomplished. Our victory in the first game was a fluke too but we performed great against two power houses. Let's see if CQ wins Asian competition. This is very important in judging him.
Why was fluke man? If it wasn't an OG, the ball was going to Taremi(yes i know what you want say, It is Taremi) but he had high chance to score on that.
. Iran was the better side against Morocco after the first 25 minutes, the Azmoun one & one made them play with more caution. In fact i have talked with few Moroccan friends and they got heavily criticized back home because they felt Iran dominated 3/4 of the match.

Pooya

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 23, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
www.IranSportsPress.com
Both b Branko and CQ failed to go to the second stage, so to me, they achieved the same so far.
Not to mention, I think everyone agrees, CQ had the best TM in recent years while Branko had the old Daei! Also as I mentioned in the other thread, first time EVER that both the teams that did make it out of Iran group got eliminated next round !

houmanbahal

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2005
کاروان پرسپولیس دوشنبه شب وارد امارات شد و اردوی خود را برپا کرد. سرخپوشان که تا بامداد چهارشنبه در امارات هستند، در باشگاه ایرانیان اقامت خواهند داشت. ۹ نفر از اعضای کاروان هم زودتر راهی ژاپن می‌شوند

Nov 24, 2002
The 2006 and 2018 are not even comparable in level of individual talents.
2006 was the most talented ever Iran squad on the paper.

Just look at the name and the experience:

Karimi @ Bayern
Zandi@ K'Lautern
Kia@ Hamburg
Nekounam@Osasuna
Hashemian@ Hannover
Rahman Rezaei@ Messina
Ando Teymourian made it to Bolton after WC

That is 6-7 players in top 3-4 leagues in world, without mentioning Masoud who made it to Osasuna couple years after.

Now our 2018 squad despite having 2/3 playing outside, didn't have a single player in top 4-5 leagues. and we now have only Ghoddos in France and JB in EPL. The rest still play in some 2nd rated European leagues.

Despite the elimination Portugal came to this competition as Europe Champion and Spain is always Spain, just the name scares most of 2nd and 3rd rated nations , specially in group stage!

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2002
کاروان پرسپولیس دوشنبه شب وارد امارات شد و اردوی خود را برپا کرد. سرخپوشان که تا بامداد چهارشنبه در امارات هستند، در باشگاه ایرانیان اقامت خواهند داشت. ۹ نفر از اعضای کاروان هم زودتر راهی ژاپن می‌شوند
https://video.varzesh3.com/video/177921/سفر-پرسپولسی-ها-به-اردو-دبی-قبل-از-بازی-فینال

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Just wondering why do you think he should *NOT* be getting credit ?
Well I said so fu... Ing be it...
He is a snake and Babr explained fully why he is. Credit should go to their fitness coach.
One of our best if not the best footballer Karim Bagheri missed out on World Cup 2006 because of this puppet.
Daie was old and out of shape but he had no balls to leave him out.
Instead a fit and ready Vahid Hashemian was left out of centre forward position and played as a winger.
He ruined the most talented squad and just got one lucky point from Angola.

Feb 4, 2005
Not to mention, I think everyone agrees, CQ had the best TM in recent years while Branko had the old Daei! Also as I mentioned in the other thread, first time EVER that both the teams that did make it out of Iran group got eliminated next round !
In terms of individual talents 2018 was nowhere near 78, 98 and 2006. It was CQ who made a great team out of them.

Last edited:

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
In terms of individual talents 2018 was nowhere near 78, 98 and 2006. It was CQ who made a great team out of them.
78??
0-3 Holland
1-4 Peru

1978 was our poorest team ever in a world cup! 1998,2006,2014 and 2018 teams would have demolished that amateur team.
I know you guys got lots of fond memories and passion for the Pre-IRI team but Please lets be realistic!!!

Feb 4, 2005
78??
0-3 Holland
1-4 Peru

1978 was our poorest team ever in a world cup! 1998,2006,2014 and 2018 teams would have demolished that amateur team.
I know you guys got lots of fond memories and passion for the Pre-IRI team but Please lets be realistic!!!
1. That is your opinion
2. You didn't get what I meant in my post, did you? Here is the clarification

Best 5 players from 2018 collectively can shine the boots of Hassan Roshan or Ali Parvin but the 2018 team was far better than 1978 team

Hooshmand

Elite Member
Oct 12, 2011
UK
1. That is your opinion
2. You didn't get what I meant in my post, did you? Here is the clarification

Best 5 players from 2018 collectively can shine the boots of Hassan Roshan or Ali Parvin but the 2018 team was far better than 1978 team
lol @ two midgets Roshan and Parvin.
If they played right now they would seriously struggle to make it into Sec Div teams like gol gohar sirjan and Aluminium Arak.

Oct 18, 2010
i love carlos and all but let's stay logical.
if bronco wins acl with a no name nobody team
and carlos fails to win the asian cup with all it's stars
and 5 year of being tops in asia then one can come
to this logical conclusion: bronco > carlos

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
78??
0-3 Holland
1-4 Peru

I am not sure if you are aware or do not want to consider this but Iran made it to the WC as the ONLY team in Asia and in a WC where only 16 teams participated. That in itself is like winning the Asian Cup 4 times in a row as Iran was the winners of 68,72, 76. Back then Holland went to the final and Iran drew against Scotland which was a top tier team in the world. They had many players in the English league and prominent ones. Iran scored an own goal and technically should have won that game 1-0. Iran lost to the World cup Finalist Holland 3-0 in which 2 of the goals were penalties. Iran lost to Peru 4-1 which 2 of the goals were penalties.

Over all Iran was scored on 8 times in which 5 goals were either PK and own goal. When judging such a team you need to look a the overall performance and how they got there and that this was Iran's first ever WC. Iranian players were not so familiar with international refereeing and messed up. Bottom line is despite the losses Iran played well and had tremendous players. 2 of Iran's players were selected to the world team. All I am trying to say is that its easy to just throw words around and say they were midgets and this and that. But Iranian players back then played against best of teams both internationally and club level and had so much experience and good friendlies. So please do not just make statements without any back up or idea of what time frame or context you are speaking of! Words are cheap and they come easy.

Nov 24, 2002
I think the fact that it was our first ever WC played a lot into the equation, as Parvin, Hejazi and few other stars mentioned it, they were shaking when they entered the field for their first match. I am sure result could have been different if it was our 2nd or 3rd WC.

Overall the most disappointing WC in my eyes was 2006, quite talented squad, pretty easy group and horrible result(finishing 4th).

Status
Not open for further replies.