2nd Half is Coach's Half!

Bauvafa

Bench Warmer
Oct 26, 2004
We have all heard this cliche and it was most obvious in Iran's game today. The first game of the tournament has turned out to be most challenging for all contenders so far, as scores suggest. In case of Iran, all that nervous energy was magnified by an own goal at the beginning of the game, and it surly rattled our team in the first half as we went down to the opponent. Such psychological let-down put our players in a difficult situation that they forgot to play their own game in the first half until they went into the locker room and heard what our coach had to say. With few changes and a sub, our players approached the second half with a new attitude, or better said, the attitude that we had expected of them and sure enough we equalized the game in no time and continued our dominance in the second half until we scored the second and winning goal. Overall, we grabbed the three points in a very crucial match in the second half of the game and in the process learnt a lot more about what a coach can do in the second half. In contrast to the past years in which we had always lost the game in the second half, both at the WC06 and other Asian games. But now, we have a coach who is a 2nd half coach, and that's a great thing because football is to be played for 90 minutes.

GO IRAN :Iran1:

eerooni

Bench Warmer
Nov 9, 2002
Toronto
ehhhh, lets count our chickens AFTER they are hatched! TM has many more games coming up, especially the next game against China. We can oly hope that GN is what you say he is....but results for a coach are measured over the whole tournament rather than the 1st game.... But I hope ur right...

Sep 25, 2004
Toronto
ehhhh, lets count our chickens AFTER they are hatched! TM has many more games coming up, especially the next game against China. We can oly hope that GN is what you say he is....but results for a coach are measured over the whole tournament rather than the 1st game.... But I hope ur right...
Good point, Spain kicked ass in their group in the WC and everyone was putting them as the final four.

Aug 26, 2005
I guess he didn't throw the water bottle:

http://www.afcasiancup.com/en/tournament/mtindex.asp?aid=48910&cid=1375&mt=12031&sec=105&ssec=251

“It was just something that happened in the game. At that time, I was very angry with one of my players who had lost the ball easily and I shouted at him,” said Ghalanoei, who became the second coach to be disciplined in the tournament following the dismissal of Qatar coach Dzemaludin Musovic against Japan on Monday.

“But the referee thought that I was complaining about him so that’s why he sent me off.”

hshduppsnt

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2004
Oh give me a break coaches half...

what he made one sub that shouldn't have been an issue to begin with... way to go ... you brought in Kazemian for someone useless...

then what? Just when you think he may have figured things out he subs Hashemian out instead of Enayati?

Then he gets tossed though I"ll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one. He was yelling earlier at the ref its possible he wasn't yelling this time and the ref had just snapped at him.

GN got lucky his players managed to find a way to win despite the awful system he'd put down. I dont get it, it seemed like he'd figured it out a few weeks ago, then he messes our Whole attack up.

Lets hope he doesn't make the same mistake against China or saving his ass with obvious subs anyone of us would've made (in some respect) won't be enough.

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
lol yeah a great coach will have to watch the team for 45 mins to realise that two strikers can't play as two wingers.. give him a few more games and he might realise that a left midfield player can't play left back either!!

Oct 18, 2002
Southern California
Well, I am not ready to bash GN just yet. He did start out with the wrong formation but atleast he realized it and fixed it at half time and it worked so atleast he needs some credit for that. As far as being tossed from the game there is no excuse.

Now, as far as china game I sense that a lot of people here are intimadated by the result they got against Malaysia but the malaysia team that I saw would have lost with the same result to the same Ghana that we beat so convincingly . They are the weakest host in this tournament and they made china look really good. I am confident that in a worse case scenario we will end up tieing china and will finish first in our group (after scoring 5-6 goals on Malaysia with the second stringers). I am not sure China is going to beat Uzbakistan though.

Remember, the Uzbakistan game was our first real preparation game for both players and coaches.

hshduppsnt

Bench Warmer
Aug 23, 2004
Well, I am not ready to bash GN just yet. He did start out with the wrong formation but atleast he realized it and fixed it at half time and it worked so atleast he needs some credit for that.

No I certainly agree with this and if he plays the right lineups/tactics in the next few games then the criticism will go away.

But from the same point of view he doesn't deserve too much praise for it either. Those were no-brainer subs created only because he blatantly messed up to begin with.

I will give him credit for not being so proud and being able to admit his mistake by making those subs (though the second sub should've been for enayati, not hashemian... but whatever)...

regardless I said what I did because he doesn't deserve praise
he did just enough that, with the right formation against china, will show that he quickly learned his mistake.

IF he does that i'll give him some credit but for now, in my eyes, he hasn't earned it yet, so he certainly doesn't deserve praise for "2nd half is the coaches half"

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
No I certainly agree with this and if he plays the right lineups/tactics in the next few games then the criticism will go away.

But from the same point of view he doesn't deserve too much praise for it either. Those were no-brainer subs created only because he blatantly messed up to begin with.

I will give him credit for not being so proud and being able to admit his mistake by making those subs (though the second sub should've been for enayati, not hashemian... but whatever)...

regardless I said what I did because he doesn't deserve praise
he did just enough that, with the right formation against china, will show that he quickly learned his mistake.

IF he does that i'll give him some credit but for now, in my eyes, he hasn't earned it yet, so he certainly doesn't deserve praise for "2nd half is the coaches half"
yeah this is what gets to me.. you can't really praise someone too much for taking about an hour to do what any of us non-professionals woulda done from the start! lol

Farzadoo

Bench Warmer
Oct 22, 2002
Washington DC
LOOOL, ROO keh nist with these Hezbis!!! I was waiting for this topic to be brought up. What a joke. He will be off the pitch for the China match and has embarrassed our nation with his childish and unprofessional antics. Also, his insistance on Khatibi/Enayati is amateurish and not deserving of TM of IRAN!!! oooooooh, Honar kard Kazemian ro avord too beh jayeh Khatibi.... Yeah lets honor him with the noble football prize!!!

Bannel

Football Fan
Jul 9, 2007
We have all heard this cliche and it was most obvious in Iran's game today. The first game of the tournament has turned out to be most challenging for all contenders so far, as scores suggest. In case of Iran, all that nervous energy was magnified by an own goal at the beginning of the game, and it surly rattled our team in the first half as we went down to the opponent. Such psychological let-down put our players in a difficult situation that they forgot to play their own game in the first half until they went into the locker room and heard what our coach had to say. With few changes and a sub, our players approached the second half with a new attitude, or better said, the attitude that we had expected of them and sure enough we equalized the game in no time and continued our dominance in the second half until we scored the second and winning goal. Overall, we grabbed the three points in a very crucial match in the second half of the game and in the process learnt a lot more about what a coach can do in the second half. In contrast to the past years in which we had always lost the game in the second half, both at the WC06 and other Asian games. But now, we have a coach who is a 2nd half coach, and that's a great thing because football is to be played for 90 minutes.

GO IRAN :Iran1:
Amazing how Ghalenoei fans cover up his incompetence with propaganda like this, we are not blind Mr Bauvafa, Mr Ghalenoei got it badly wrong from the start leaving Kaebi out, Zandi in full back........

Go and get a life Mr Bauvafa and stop your Pro GN propaganda, this coach sucks and is the wrong man for Team Melli.

Bauvafa

Bench Warmer
Oct 26, 2004
The second half speaks a volume about the performance of the team and its coaching, as observed by outsiders as well.
Seems more like Mr. Ghalenoee is locking the coaching job for WC2010 and beyond, and if so, we will learn to respect that. Some folks are in school now but hopefully they will learn when it's all over and will receive koubideh. :dance3: :boxing:

Bannel

Football Fan
Jul 9, 2007
The second half speaks a volume about the performance of the team and its coaching, as observed by outsiders as well.
Seems more like Mr. Ghalenoee is locking the coaching job for WC2010 and beyond, and if so, we will learn to respect that. Some folks are in school now but hopefully they will learn when it's all over and will receive koubideh. :dance3: :boxing:
Mr Bauvafa

Any half decent coach in charge of the players we have would have beaten the inferior Uzbekustan by 3 or 4 goals at the very least rather than struggle to a 2-1 win. The second half you say? Excuse me, Enayati chosen over Hashemian upfront! No sign of Kaebi! Zandi in full back!! Look matie, you need to go back to school and learn the basics and stop your Hezbollahi propaganda for Ghalenoei, even a school kid knows more about football than you do.

So you are impressed with Kazemian and Madanchi coming on? They were Branko's wingers in WC2006 weren't they?

Go get a life Mr Bauvafa and stop foolling yourself.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
Southern California
LOOOL, ROO keh nist with these Hezbis!!! I was waiting for this topic to be brought up. What a joke. He will be off the pitch for the China match and has embarrassed our nation with his childish and unprofessional antics. Also, his insistance on Khatibi/Enayati is amateurish and not deserving of TM of IRAN!!! oooooooh, Honar kard Kazemian ro avord too beh jayeh Khatibi.... Yeah lets honor him with the noble football prize!!!
If you support a vatani coach you should be called vatanparast and not hezbi !!

Oct 18, 2002
Southern California
Mr Bauvafa

Any half decent coach in charge of the players we have would have beaten the inferior Uzbekustan by 3 or 4 goals at the very least rather than struggle to a 2-1 win.quote]

Without an own goal (Rezaei's goal can't be blamed on GN ) this is a 2-0 game, plus before you call Uzbakistan an inferior team like they are Malaysia wait for the
UZB-CHINA game. I personally think Iran and Uzbakistan our going up from this group.

It is too soon to pass judgement on GN. That's all I am saying. After this tournement we will know whether he is God or Goat.

Oct 18, 2002
Sydney, Australia
If we'd lost the game, then it was all GN's fault for wrong players/formation/tactics/game plan (like you can coach against scoring an own goal). Now that we won the game, its still GN's faults for not having the effective subs in the first XI to start with!!!!

GN should quit now, cause he can't win either way with the fans even if he wins on the scoreboard. Reading the 48 page pre, live and post game comments every man and his dog had given up at half time and had their own ideas about who should come in. Jalaal Hosseini went from "what the fuck is this slow Hosseini doing on the field" to contender for man of the match. Kazemian went from "I can't believe GN didn't put in Kaebi" to "what a legend"!

Now we shouldn't be quick to give too much credit for GN for the win but at least he did fix some of the inefficiencies at half time and there was some PURPOSE to our plays in the second half. EXECUTION still let us down a great deal but this is not something to blame the coach over as you can't try to teach a NT player to make a successful pass from 3 yards.

Just wait until the tournament is over and then you can objectively (if possible for some)assess GN's performance.