3rd pot. Irans first world cup 2018 Goal

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
But how come the October ranking is the decisive one? The qualifications are not even over yet!
UEFA = FIFA

OFC finish AUG 17 / AFC finish SEP 17 / UEFA and CONMEBOL and CONCACAF finish OCT 17 / CAF and PLAYOFFS finish NOV 17.

Khob... hala Where in this line makes it logic to take OCT rankings?
Why not SEP when AFC finished? then we would most likely be in pot 2?

Thats why I say UEFA = FIFA
Everything must fold out for UEFA teams. Even ranking points.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
UEFA = FIFA

OFC finish AUG 17 / AFC finish SEP 17 / UEFA and CONMEBOL and CONCACAF finish OCT 17 / CAF and PLAYOFFS finish NOV 17.

Khob... hala Where in this line makes it logic to take OCT rankings?
Why not SEP when AFC finished? then we would most likely be in pot 2?

Thats why I say UEFA = FIFA
Everything must fold out for UEFA teams. Even ranking points.
But even UEFA is not finished yet?! The 8 best runner-ups still need to play against each other!

Oct 1, 2004
But even UEFA is not finished yet?! The 8 best runner-ups still need to play against each other!

They do this so their teams get max points for FIFA rankings.
Next month most European teams will play friendlies which give much less FIFA points than qualifiers. This way UEFA/FIFA avoid their already qualified teams losing many points and falling behind in the rankings...

Feb 15, 2006
Copenhagen-Denmark
List of November playoffs for world cup.
It's not gonna happen, but Greece, New Zealand and Honduras winning will push Iran upward in the final draw.
We will still be in pot 3 but with more teams below.
Honduras is very important. If they beat Australia, Iran will remain kings of Asia (1#)

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
God, these football schedules only make me depressed!!!

November is around the corner! Where the h*ll are our friendlies?!!! Good teams are getting friendlies one by one and getting occupied in the Fifa days!

At this point CQ should have already announced TM invitees for the November friendly camp. :(

Last edited:

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA
Nov 24, 2002
Serbia is good choice, but i always prefer to play against teams which already qualified, because the ones which didn't qualify will probably try to build their squad for the next 2-3-4 years and use a young and inexperience line-up, but it is good to have two more friendlies in November as well

homaie

Elite Member
Mar 1, 2003
NY/NJ in USA
Serbia is good choice, but i always prefer to play against teams which already qualified, because the ones which didn't qualify will probably try to build their squad for the next 2-3-4 years and use a young and inexperience line-up, but it is good to have two more friendlies in November as well
Serbia is already qualified and top of their group above Ireland and Wales. Venezuela became last in their group nut still a decent team from South America - apparently IFF could get Venezuela.

Nov 24, 2002
Serbia is already qualified and top of their group above Ireland and Wales. Venezuela became last in their group nut still a decent team from South America - apparently IFF could get Venezuela.
I know about Serbia, i was talking about Venezuela.

Feb 4, 2005
I know about Serbia, i was talking about Venezuela.
I think Venezuela is better choice compared to Chile. Venezuela didn't expect to be qualified anyway and yet is a good opponent for a friendly. Chile would have been good had they qualified. They have no motivation to put up a good fight in a friendly now. If we get a good Western European and a qualified S.A opponent (or Mexico/Costa Rica) then it'll be great.

Farsheed

Bench Warmer
Jun 6, 2003
So now that the Oct Rankings are out, it's a little easier to predict this

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/index.html

The lowest ranked teams will be in pod 4, the following teams will be in there 1. Saudi Arabia, 2.Korea, 3.Japan, 4.Serbia!!, 5.Panama, 6.Nigeria, winner of 7. Hondorus/Australia 8.ivory coast/Morocoo
Ladies and gentlemen, it's official, we will be in pod 3.
Since we are not allowed to have another team from Asia in our group, that just leaves 6 possibilities, 5 if Australia beats Honduras.

I would prefer not to draw Nigeria or Serbia.

My dream draw is that we draw Russia from Pod A, Panama from Pod B, and Peru or Mexico from Pod 3.

my nightmare draw is Germany/Brazil from Pod A, Spain from Pod 2 and Serbia/Nigeria from Pod 4