A different perspective of a so called free society called United States

BijanD

Bench Warmer
Oct 9, 2004
Vancouver
it's funny how when somebody questions something, people automatically compare it to something worse and pretend it's the best they have. if somebody a case of human rights violation in any country, it's maybe because they see a need for improvement.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
The fact that millionaires in U.S dont have to follow the tax bracket for their income tax, unlike other rich countries, tells a lot about the mess.
I have no idea what this means. If you are in a bracket, you are in a bracket. It makes no difference what you make. You have to pay. If you have a problem with the law don't take it on the people. They are following tax laws as written by Congress. And for your information, the rich are footing the bill in this country. The so called top 1% pay 40% of country's bills. You want more?

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
obviously the US is not the same as Iran or other authoritarian societies. but it's also not as free as you would like to believe it is.

have you read National Defense Authorization Act 2012?
Section 1021 and 1022 have been called a violation of constitutional principles and of the Bill of Rights. you know why? because the legislation allows indefinite detention without trial of American terrorism suspects arrested on US soil who could then be shipped to Guantanamo Bay.

They can come to your door, arrest you, give you no chance of trial, they dont have to prove to anyone why they think you are a terrorist, and hold you indefinitely

I dare anyone to defend the legislation above and then talk about freedom with a straight face at the same time.
Yes, after 9/11 a lot of laws have been changed for the worse and ACTA, the law that will take you to jail if you film a cop etc. are equally terrible. Still, the US is by far still one of the most free societies we can think of. Add to it that the whole irony is that we can actually in freedom talk about all these problems, these problems are talked about in public etc.

that's the whole point of a free society.

Natural

IPL Player
May 18, 2003
Yes, after 9/11 a lot of laws have been changed for the worse and ACTA, the law that will take you to jail if you film a cop etc. are equally terrible. Still, the US is by far still one of the most free societies we can think of. Add to it that the whole irony is that we can actually in freedom talk about all these problems, these problems are talked about in public etc.

that's the whole point of a free society.
That law was passed in 2012, 11 years after 9/11...

that legislation in particular can make it legal for the government to arrest you without providing convincing evidence and they can hold you indefinitely without trial. that one legislation in particular does the exact same thing as an authoritarian state does. the only difference in the US is that they can do this based on a law and therefore it wont be illegal which makes it worse. sure they can be talked about in public here, but nothing stopped elected law-makers to not pass such law. and yes I agree this can law can be protested against way easier in the US than any other place. but how would a system that has all these checks and balances to protect individual rights could allow such laws in first place?

US govn stands for freedom. I'm just holding them to their own standards, The U.S. Constitution is one of the most well-crafted and revered governmental documents in all of the world’s history. but sometimes in practice they go the exact opposite.

I'm still waiting for Lord IranZamin to chime in with his condescending tone.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2002
it's funny how when somebody questions something, people automatically compare it to something worse and pretend it's the best they have. if somebody a case of human rights violation in any country, it's maybe because they see a need for improvement.
very well said thanks

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
I personally think that the current change in US government policies is going through worse than better .... I am not comparing US with Iran and merely talk about USA ...

In US the government is making laws and legilations that will prevent the current freedom that Americans have and people should start thinking a little agiated ....
Laws such as "Patriot Act" that was introduced under Bush administration is a little frightening ... It will reach to the state, that the government can arrest you and prosecute you without even having court order ....
I think this is the direction that the American policy and is very dangerous. You see many documentaries and civil groups that are addressing these issues.

But still I think in terms of practicality, the north american society is the best in the world and if the government doesn't change the current rights, the society can improve in the right direction.

Oct 20, 2003
The so called top 1% pay 40% of country's bills. You want more?
Could it be that the reason the rich pay 40% of taxes is because the rich earn a big chunk of income perhaps. There is no problem with that as long as the rich pay as much as a middle class family pays in taxes. The nonpartisan Congressional Research Service has a report saying there are nearly 100,000 millionaires who pay lower taxes than middle class. That's where the fairness comes into play.

Natural

IPL Player
May 18, 2003
Could it be that the reason the rich pay 40% of taxes is because the rich earn a big chunk of income perhaps. There is no problem with that as long as the rich pay as much as a middle class family pays in taxes. The nonpartisan Congressional Research Service has a report saying there are nearly 100,000 millionaires who pay lower taxes than middle class. That's where the fairness comes into play.
you can't convince an ideologue with facts. dont bother. he once thought more people attended the Glenn beck rally than the egypt's revolution.

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
That law was passed in 2012, 11 years after 9/11...

that legislation in particular can make it legal for the government to arrest you without providing convincing evidence and they can hold you indefinitely without trial. that one legislation in particular does the exact same thing as an authoritarian state does. the only difference in the US is that they can do this based on a law and therefore it wont be illegal which makes it worse. sure they can be talked about in public here, but nothing stopped elected law-makers to not pass such law. and yes I agree this can law can be protested against way easier in the US than any other place. but how would a system that has all these checks and balances to protect individual rights could allow such laws in first place?

US govn stands for freedom. I'm just holding them to their own standards, The U.S. Constitution is one of the most well-crafted and revered governmental documents in all of the world’s history. but sometimes in practice they go the exact opposite.

I'm still waiting for Lord IranZamin to chime in with his condescending tone.
post 9/11 = 2001 until now...but as said, I get your point. I just wouldn't take a case of police brutality against a protester and claim that US isn't that free of a society or whatever not.

Natural

IPL Player
May 18, 2003
post 9/11 = 2001 until now...but as said, I get your point. I just wouldn't take a case of police brutality against a protester and claim that US isn't that free of a society or whatever not.
dude, police brutality? did you read my posts?

this legislation gives the US FEDERAL government the right to arrest you and hold you indefinitely without any trial. who said anything about police? I suggest you read 2012 National Defense Authorization Act.

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar
The question here isn't about how much freedom the Americans have or how it compares to the level of freedom in other countries. The issue here is "Hypocrisy".
I have lived in the U.S for over 25 years, and I do believe that this is probably the greatest country in the history, but I also think that the U.S Gov (as a whole) has been and remain the biggest "hypocrites" in the history of mankind.

bottom line, west or east, north or south, where ever I look, I see bad guys are in charge.
Still, I rather have the Americans as the big hypocrite power of the world than those freaking Chinese or fucking Russians..

Mahdi

Elite Member
Jan 1, 1970
Mjunik
dude, police brutality? did you read my posts?

this legislation gives the US FEDERAL government the right to arrest you and hold you indefinitely without any trial. who said anything about police? I suggest you read 2012 National Defense Authorization Act.
with police brutality I refer to the original video posted by Reza that started the discussion not your posts. please keep in mind that essentially me and you are in the same boat and we're both aware what a couple more years of Republican congress plus paranoia could lead to ;)

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Give me numbers and we can debate. Warren Buffet keeps saying her secretary pays more(in percent) than him. False. Average return pays only 9% effective rate.http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/88xx/doc8885/12-11-HistoricalTaxRates.pdf I am sure Buffet pays a lot more. Now get this,

"The average federal income tax rate of the richest 400 people in the country in 2008 was 18.11 percent."

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/09/millionaire_tax_rates.html

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
I have no idea what this means. If you are in a bracket, you are in a bracket. It makes no difference what you make. You have to pay. If you have a problem with the law don't take it on the people. They are following tax laws as written by Congress. And for your information, the rich are footing the bill in this country. The so called top 1% pay 40% of country's bills. You want more?
Exactly..they should follow income tax bracket..but they dont have to! bc they have the luxury of so much tax cuts as high-earners!(thanks to Bush!). The best example that comes to mind is Mitt Romney's income tax rate of just %14, although he made $21M in 2010!! Talking about fairness and equality for millions of middle-income Americans who pay more taxes than him!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/01/24/romney-taxes.html

Romney paid 14% tax on $21.7M income in 2010

IranZamin

IPL Player
Feb 17, 2006
your comment in reply to the original post sounded way too defensive (read it again), thus my reply.
So because you thought I was "defensive"... you replied to the exact opposite of the point I made!

Sure. Makes perfect sense.:)

Look dude… I know you’re relatively young and you’re still trying to make sense of the world. That’s why I ignore your copy/past “opinions” most of the time. But you’re not nearly young enough to embarrass yourself like you've done in these two posts! This kind of difficulty with basic reasoning is something one would expect from a 13-year-old, not a young man with a college education.

I repeat my advice: Stick to things you can actually understand. You're WAY out of your depth in serious discussions.

Flint

Legionnaire
Jan 28, 2006
United States
Exactly..they should follow income tax bracket..but they dont have to! bc they have the luxury of so much tax cuts as high-earners!(thanks to Bush!). The best example that comes to mind is Mitt Romney's income tax rate of just %14, although he made $21M in 2010!! Talking about fairness and equality for millions of middle-income Americans who pay more taxes than him!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/01/24/romney-taxes.html

Romney paid 14% tax on $21.7M income in 2010

Did you read what I said? Average effective tax rate for Joe Blow is 9%. Besides, he is paying 15% because capital gains is taxed at 15% and he derives income from capital gains. That is the law.

Oct 20, 2003
Give me numbers and we can debate. Warren Buffet keeps saying her secretary pays more(in percent) than him. False. Average return pays only 9% effective rate.http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/88xx/doc8885/12-11-HistoricalTaxRates.pdf
Let me give you some numbers, money earned by Buffet, Bill Gates, Mitt Romney etc are either dividends or capital gains. Dividends and capital gains are taxed at 15% thanks to Bush tax cuts. Buffet secretary pays ordinary income tax of at least 15% on her salary plus 5.65% of social security taxes that is north of 20%.
I am sure Buffet pays a lot more
Really, Buffet says he pays less than his secretary but somehow you are sure he pays a lot more. Either he is lying or you are making it up. Could you tell me how you are sure he pays more than what he says he pays?
Now get this,

"The average federal income tax rate of the richest 400 people in the country in 2008 was 18.11 percent."
You are proving my point here. A middle class taxpayer who makes more than $70,000 will be in 25% tax bracket and will have to pay 5.65% Social Security and Medicare taxes. That taxpayer will pay an effective tax rate of well above 20%. So you are telling me that the richest 400 people are paying less than middle class taxpayers. I thought that was my point.

BehzadB

Bench Warmer
Feb 18, 2006
Shooshtar
Did you read what I said? Average effective tax rate for Joe Blow is 9%. Besides, he is paying 15% because capital gains is taxed at 15% and he derives income from capital gains. That is the law.
well, law or not, it is wrong and unfair, imo. I don't have any capital gains and I pay about 33% on my taxable income. I think the capital gain tax should go up to 40%..
in about 50 or 100 years from now, all that be left of this society is ghettos and gated rich communities.