About the "Who is biased, who is fair” (with Dan Rather picture) add on some pages

Jan 26, 2005
With all due respect to Admin (I know they need the revenue), this appears to be the kind of add, that if you click on it, addware and spyware will be installed on your computer.

Jan 26, 2005
It appears on some pages, not all. It is a surevey-type add. I see it on the second page of "thanks to CBC....Sigheh thread". There are pictures of Dan Rather, and some right wing talk show hosts (Bill O'raly).

Behdad

National Team Player
Nov 7, 2004
Toronto, Canada
www.PersianWay.com
abe hoezi said:
It appears on some pages, not all. It is a surevey-type add. I see it on the second page of "thanks to CBC....Sigheh thread". There are pictures of Dan Rather, and some right wing talk show hosts (Bill O'raly).
Ok thats odd cause the only advertisings we have are the google ads that appear on the top of the page. and i have NEVER seen a dan rather ad here?
I think ur making this up man!!!

Has anyone else seeen this?

Niloufar

Football Legend
Oct 19, 2002
abe hozi jan,
I dont think there is such a thing. I dont see anything..
we only have google ads in our banners.

Behrang(ISP)

King of Posts
Oct 16, 2002
www.iransportspress.com
abe hoezei, i'm not sure what your on about but if you see it again go ahead and take a screenshot... our ads are from google and i know they have a no spyware etc. clause in their deal with advertisers. if you find something liek that forward it to us so we can send it to google.

Jan 26, 2005
I think the banner changes. Right now I see "BizStream" add this one is ok. But I will recommend stay away from any kind of "Vote" or "Survey" type adds. The are suspect, because they are not selling any product. They just want you to click and then...

Free" Is Good
By: Kamil Z. Skawinski
With back-to-school season now again in full-swing, it's pretty certain that many a family budget has wound up strained by this inevitable, annual, autumn shopping-spree. This is especially true if a new computer system (or two) found itself among the "must-have" items we placed into the shopping cart.

Although many of today's family- and student-oriented PCs come outfitted with a decent assortment of useful software products, the higher-powered and more up-to-date models we try to acquire-you know, those desktops and laptops which offer the latest and most desirable hardware and which offer the promise that, in a year, they will not have completely become technologically long-in-the-tooth-tend to offer buyers a pretty skimpy assortment of bundled titles.

Should you be among those who opted to purchase a Windows-based hardware powerhouse in lieu of a software-laden but lower-tech desktop or laptop, take heart: you don't have to wait and save up your money in order to buy the applications that'll help keep your new powerful machine safe-and-secure or productive. There are still plenty of useful, complimentary software products available online, programs that can be of great benefit and value to the cost-conscious computer user. You just have to know what you want and where to look.

For A Little Security In An Insecure World

Worthy "Free" Anti-Virus Programs

ALWIL's free-of-charge anti-virus program, avast! Home Edition, is among the most effective and trustworthy gratis AV products I have ever tested and used (www.avast.com). avast! has, in fact, kept both my primary and backup desktop computers completely safe-and-secure from all of the outbreaks of 2003 and 2004.

Sporting a simple interface, avast! is straightforward to use and configure. Users can scan hard drives, removable media and/or specific file folders simply by clicking upon an appropriate icon, and AV scan-sensitivity and protection levels can be adjusted via simple slides. When launched for the first time, moreover, a handy "how to" window explains the most important ins-and-outs of the software-an appreciated feature for users transitioning from another anti-virus program.

Resident protection, the real-time protection deployed upon the computer, is one of the most important parts of an anti-virus program's defenses and avast! possesses a powerful resident-module that is able to detect a virus before it has any chance of infecting the PC. The program's well-designed file-system protection ensures that no virus will be started on the computer and it also offers a wide range of protection settings (e.g. you can specify which files will be scanned during copying or you can limit the AV scanning to focus on files with a given set of extensions). Notable, too, is the fact that the software provides a separate resident protection-module for e-mails, as well as built-in protection from attacks arriving by way of common IM programs (e.g., AOL AIM, ICQ, MSN or Windows Messenger, etc.) and via popular P2P applications-attributes absent in some of the better-known, expensive, retail anti-virus products.

The most notable benefit avast! offers to owners, however, is its capability to conduct boot-time scans prior to launching Windows (available only for machine's running Windows NT/2000/XP). This methodology allows the AV software to eliminate viruses before they have the chance to get activated, and it also ensures that viruses will not in any way adversely influence or affect the program's antiviral scan. A plus, too, is that the software updates its viral definition file via incremental updates (meaning that you don't have to download a megabyte or greater data file each time an update becomes available).

When it comes to AV protection for a personal computer, though, I've tended to follow the belt-and-suspenders approach. Even though I've found avast! completely reliable and trustworthy, I still hedge my anti-virus bet by backing up it's capable defenses with Softwin's equally capable BitDefender Free Edition v7.2 (www.softwin.com). This particular virus scanner comes with no resident- or e-mail-protection modules: it is simply a virus detection and removal tool-and, thus, it can safely be used with any AV product as a second-line of defense against any virus that might have snuck past a machine's primary anti-virus software.

BitDefender's scans are thorough, reasonably fast and effective, and the scanner updates itself via the web quite frequently. As with avast!, those updates are incremental and not time- nor bandwidth-intensive. Get both products and you'll be ready for just about anything the hackers, wanna-bes, and script-kiddies will throw at you.

Worthwhile "Free" Anti-Adware/Spyware Tools

Should you be concerned that adware/malware/spyware has somehow found its way onto your computer, you need not spend a lot of money on an expensive, retail, anti-spyware applications. In fact, one of the best products is available on the Internet at Download.com completely free-of-charge: Spybot Search & Destroy. Not only can SS&D easily and safely dispose of any unwanted adware/malware/spyware, it can also effectively immunize a computer system from future such "infections." And like quality anti-virus software, it makes use of regular downloadable updates and adware/spyware definitions to keep up with the latest variations of snoopware currently floating around on the Internet.

It's also a good idea to have a free copy of Ad-aware 6.0 installed and safeguarding your PC (www.lavasoft.de). This program scrupulously analyzes your machine for any and all of known ad-related privacy-invaders. When its scan is completed, you can opt to dispose of the flagged components in a manner of your choosing. Ad-aware gives you the ability to make an informed choice about the personal information you are willing to surrender in return for using a given product or service. For example, should you find the benefits of a flagged program such as Alexa or Backweb worthwhile-despite of the fact that such software can take a small bite out your privacy-you can opt to have Ad-aware ignore such software in future scans. And to keep you safe from new or evolving spyware over the long-term, Ad-aware can be updated like anti-virus software via regular "reference file" downloads.

JavaCool Software's free SpywareBlaster www.javacoolsoftware.com is beneficial, too, for this little program can shield a PC from troublesome software downloads, intentional and otherwise, as well as a great number of known and hazardous websites-in fact, there is a link to the company's site within Spybot Search & Destroy. JavaCool's simple-yet-effective Browser HijackBlaster 1.0 is also worth having www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22955,tk,hsx,00.asp. This helpful program monitors Internet Explorer to make sure no one hijacks your browser or tries to slip adware/malware/spyware into it. If an attempt is made to change your home page, default page, or search page, Browser Hijack Blaster will immediately let you know about it and allow you to readily undo any such unintended modifications.

Javacool Software has released a more powerful successor to Browser HijackBlaster, called SpywareGuard; however, this product is still undergoing development and it might not coexist happily with other security-oriented software. Based on personal experience, I can report that it causes problems for PCs running Lotus' SmartSuite Millennium Edition.

Few of us appreciate encountering browser ad windows that pop-up on our screens without warning or permission. It's bad enough that such windows pester you with advertising; however, opening new windows on top of other windows is one way malware developers trap Internet users into downloading software that they really do not want. The latest free version of Pop-Up Stopper www.panicware.com prevents such pests (as well as pop-under windows) from making a nuisance of themselves. You can set up this handy software to play a sound notifying you whenever a pop-up has been blocked, and it even allows you to temporarily disable such blocking should you be at a news or retailer website where you actually want these windows to appear.

The popular and free Google and EarthLink browser toolbars are also worth having. Both incorporate a useful pop-up blocker as well as a handy link to an Internet search engine. EarthLink's toolbar, moreover, has a novel feature called ScamBlocker. This component helps protect users against "phisher" schemes in which Web sites pose as your bank or Internet service provider in order to steal your credit card number, Social Security number, or other personal information. After you install the EarthLink Toolbar (as part of the EarthLink TotalAccess Internet service or as a stand-alone tool), the program will alert you before you enter a Web page that is on a list of known fraudulent sites.

Two Quite Reliable "Free" Firewalls

ZoneAlarm (www.zonealarm.com) is designed to make it easy for you to protect your PC from hackers. The program includes four interlocking security services: a firewall, an application control, an Internet lock, and "zones." The firewall controls the ports and connections leading to your computer and allows only that traffic which you actually approve of and desire. The software's simple to set-up application control allows you to decide which applications can and cannot use the Internet, and the program's "Internet lock" cuts off all Internet traffic while your computer is unattended or while you're not using the Internet (it can be activated automatically with your computer's screensaver or after a set period of inactivity). Zones monitor all activity on your computer and alert you when a new application attempts to access the Internet. ZoneAlarm 5.0 has further hardened security to keep users and their valuable personal information safe, even against targeted attacks.

Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5 smb.sygate.com also provides very effective "free" protection from hackers, trojans and DoS attacks. New features include full-ICS support, protocol driver level protection, enhanced logging, and more. Some users feel that this firewall is actually better and more adaptable than the ZoneLabs' offering.

Keep Your Data Safe From Prying Eyes

Cryptainer LE (www.cypherix.co.uk) makes protecting your sensitive PC data simple and straightforward. In fact, encryption of any files you want to keep safe is as simple as dragging-and-dropping it into a password-protected, 128-bit vault. Cryptainer LE can also be used to send secure e-mail attachments. It's an effective package-just don't forget your password!

Make Your Internet Experience Better

Worthy "Free" Search Tools

Copernic Agent Basic and Copernic Meta www.copernic.com are two quite handy, powerful, free search tools that let you simultaneously and effectively query multiple search engines, newsgroups, and e-mail directories for any and all information you might be seeking. Copernic Meta not only integrates itself into the Internet Explorer browser, but it also allows you to add a very practical "search" query-box to the Windows taskbar from which you can search the web, ferret out particular types of files, and/or even set-up one-click access to a favorite Internet search engine.

Copernic Agent Basic can also be launched via the Copernic Meta taskbar. This separate stand-alone tool allows you to conduct much more effective Internet searches for any particular projects you might be involved with. It also allows you to save your Internet searches for later use and cull out broken links. Both Copernic products are must-haves for students and anyone who uses the Internet for research.

"Free" Alternatives To Internet Explorer

Even though Internet Explorer remains the dominant web browser used by today's Netizens, the software continues to get both bad press and poor grades when it comes to security and performance. Although I've always kept up with its patches and updates religiously, there are times when IE is a real resource-hog (especially on my older PCs) and a nuisance (especially when it inexplicably collapses during the most casual of Internet excursions).

Should you be seeking a better-performing and more secure alternative, give the free (okay, "sponsored") version of the Opera a try. It is much less resource-taxing than IE, and the "tabbed" approach to web exploration can prove a boon for those seeking out specific information at a variety of web sites. The fact that it can be set up to launch multiple tabs/web pages when launched can also prove beneficial to information junkies who want to begin their day reading the latest news and developments posted on favorite websites.

If you don't want to ditch IE, just improve it, MyIE2 might be for you. This browser shell works with Internet Explorer and uses a tabbed interface so you can hop from page to page from the same window. Its "Mouse Gesture" feature cuts back on clicking and/or using the tab key, while "Super Drag&Drop" opens pages by dragging-and-dropping a link, and allows you to run searches when you drag-and-drop highlighted text into the software's built-in search engine.

MyIE2 also lets you keep useful items such as Web services, favorites, the Google Toolbar, and even external programs handy via the well-designed MyIE2 toolbar. And those concerned about privacy will appreciate the shell's much more powerful settings and ad-elimination tools.

Other Useful Goodies

Should you be seeking some utilities or a decent download manager, check out the Fresh Devices website www.freshdevices.com. Fresh Diagnose is designed to analyze and benchmark your computer system. The software scans your system and gives you a complete report about your computer's hardware and software, including motherboard information, video system information, PCI/AGP information, peripheral (keyboard, mouse, printer, etc.) information, and network information. The program tests your system performance and compares it with other systems.

Fresh Download, on the other hand, is a handy tool that allows you to resume lengthy downloads should your dial-up, DSL, cable or wireless Internet connection be interrupted. It's an effective and useful piece of software.

Go to www.picasa.com get a very nice photo-imaging program, Picasa, which is now available free-of-charge thanks to Google. It's a nice tool which you can use to tweak your favorite digital or scanned photos.

Office Suites, Word Processors, Financial Programs And More

Should you have a recent version of a Corel, Lotus, or Microsoft home-productivity software package, you probably have a word processing package that satisfactorily fulfills all of your basic "typing" requirements. However, in our increasingly more demanding, work-from-home world, you might find that some of the must-have features of your at-work office productivity suite are not supported by your favorite consumer-oriented word processing package(s).

But before you grab your checkbook and head out to buy several hundred dollars worth of business-oriented software you might wind up using rather infrequently, consider downloading the quite comprehensive and "free" OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 Office Suite www.openoffice.org. Offering many of the same features and functions available in better-known, expensive, office-oriented productivity suites in a compatible, free-of-charge package, OpenOffice.org Office Suite allows you continue working on presentations, spreadsheets, and other critical work-related documents and projects on your favorite "home" desktop and/or laptop without taking a massive bite out of your wallet or limiting your legal use of the software by way of some restrictive EULA.

If you want to better manage your personal finances, give AceMoney Lite www.mechcad.net/products/acemoney/index_lite.shtml a try. This software can help you to track your spending habits, generating reports by category or payer/payee. You can also generate pie charts that show how much money you had spent and on what. The program also lets you create and manage budgets via 100 predefined spending categories. Finally, it can track the performance of your investments-and you don't need to enter the stock quotes manually, for AceMoney can download them from the Internet.

And should you have ready access to a "free" WiFi hotspot at a local library, park, school or other public area, visit theopencd.sunsite.dk and download one ISO image of TheOpenCD and burn it to a disc. TheOpenCD sports installers for more than twenty free-of-charge applications for Windows-word processors such as AbiWord, OpenOffice.org, The GIMP (graphics and imaging tool) as well as several games.

Jan 26, 2005
Guys. I am not trying to steer any problems or offend anybody. I saw that add several times, at least 5 or 6 times. I do not say that for sure that add is going to cause anybody any problems. I was just saying to be careful. If the add is not for a product, and it is a “Vote for..” type add, I say do not click on it. Better safe than sorry. I am sorry if I caused any misunderstanding. Please except my apologies. You guys are great. Life will be very boring without this site. I mean it.

Pofak

Ball Boy
Nov 7, 2002
You'll need the url if you want it tracked.. A screenshot would help Google decide to pull the ad though. You can also click on the Gooooooogle link and give feedback.

Ali(ISP)

Tottenham till I die
Oct 16, 2002
Southampton, UK
i havent seen this either... has anyone else seen it?

i dont understand how only one person can see this add! please make sure u take a screen shot next time u see it!

Jan 26, 2005
Here it is. However, now I do not think it is an addware. It should be safe to click on it. At least, now I have proof that I was not drunk. Sorry for the trouble.