AFC Champions League 2018 [R]

Kian Pars

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2005
perspolis trying to score the second , it is good to see them taking the game to them pushing men forward , at the same doing well in defence with Jalal in charge.
I just watched the last 10 minutes plus goal highlights. Honestly what I saw from PP was only "BEZAN ZIRESH, ALI PARVIN WAY" game way of defense.

Perspolis conversion rate has been absolutely horrendous under Branko. It takes 20-40 opportunities for a goal to materialize. This was even true when Taremi was around. It's mind boggling how many scoring opportunities this team has wasted 3 seasons in a row.

Putting Ali Daei aside, Iran's domestic football has not produced a true finisher for 30 fucking years (Pius being the last of them). Even Daei learned a lot of his finishing outside Iran.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
QUOTE="Kian Pars, post: 1190752, member: 3754"]I just watched the last 10 minutes plus goal highlights. Honestly what I saw from PP was only "BEZAN ZIRESH, ALI PARVIN WAY" game way of defense.[/QUOTE]

Honestly that's not what I saw ...they over lapped many times and played some decent balls in ,just a bit unlucky and other times just bad finishing deprived them of second goal .

So true about Daei being the only one with a good conversion rate. The only one who can come close is Azmoun and he has had a bad year so far.
Azmoun learned most of his football outside Iran. What's evident is, out of thousands and thousands(millions?!) of players in Iran who undoubtedly want to be goal scorers from an early age (no one starts playing football to become a defender), not a single one of them ends up actually becoming a good striker. That's just pathetic for a place like Iran (where football has actually meant something for decades)

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Reds and Blues in action and can both secure a place in next round. Esteghlal will host Al Rayyan of Qatar (11:30 EST) while Perspolis play away at Nasaf Qarshi (10:30 EST)

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
HT

Esteghlal 1-0 Al Rayyan

If we win we’ll be through to next round.

FT

Perspolis 0-0 Nasaf

The point gurantees reds a play in knockout stage.

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Esteghlal and Perspolis will top their groups with a tie and a win respectively. Perspolis is host to Al Sadd and Esteghlal will be facing the eliminated Al Hilal on April 16. I hope both release their players to TM after that

Last edited:

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Zob Ahan lost at home (1-0) to group leaders Al Duhail. Lokomotiv lead Al Wahda 2-0 at HT. That means both are tied at 6 points with ZA being in second place since they won the first leg 2-0 against Loko. The last game (in Tashkent) will determine the second team through with ZA need a tie to do so.

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Tractor lost 1-0 and got eliminated.

Here is our teams status with one games to go:

Tractor: out
Zob Ahan: Will advance as second team with a tie or win against Lokomotiv in Tashkent. If they lose they will be out.
Perspolis: Secured a place for next round. They will play Al Sadd (group leaders) and need a win to top group C.
Esteghlal: Secured a place for next round. Will finish first with a win against Al Hilal. Even a tie will secure the first place if Al Ain fail to win by more than two goals against Al Rayyan.

Ali N.

Aug 3, 2004
Good to see the way Esteghlal is playing in the past few months, since Schaeffer has taken over! PP hasn't shown much this year in ACL, hopefully they will do better in the upcoming games... Is it true that Esteghlal and Perspolis may meet in the next round (16th) if one finishes 1st and the other finishes 2nd in their respective groups?
I think Zob Ahan has a tough game in Uzbekistan...

Payandeh Iran

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Good to see the way Esteghlal is playing in the past few months, since Schaeffer has taken over! PP hasn't shown much this year in ACL, hopefully they will do better in the upcoming games... Is it true that Esteghlal and Perspolis may meet in the next round (16th) if one finishes 1st and the other finishes 2nd in their respective groups?
I think Zob Ahan has a tough game in Uzbekistan...
Not according to wiki. From west asia groups a and c and groups b and d play the round of 16. So esteghlal if finish second will play al duhail and if finish first either zob or lokomotiv. PP will play either jazira or ahli