Afshin Ghotbi Dedicated Thread!

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
you should do something right to be able to coach in Japan that long . name me another Iranian who coached even an arab team in last 10 years ?
He is not a high calibre coach but better than 4 ta mesle GN ..
You don't really have to do much.

He speaks fluent English (a major +)
He has an official coaching degree (a major +)
He has experience in 2 continents and has big name Dutch references to put on his resume.
He has a championship in one of Asia's 4 big leagues (as sad as that may sound!)
He's a very sweet-talker. Knows when to rub the right balls to get ahead (as evident in his Iranian tenure)

As far as coaching and getting results...well...I don't think he had much to hang onto in that department.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
You don't really have to do much.

He speaks fluent English (a major +)
He has an official coaching degree (a major +)
He has experience in 2 continents and has big name Dutch references to put on his resume.
He has a championship in one of Asia's 4 big leagues (as sad as that may sound!)
He's a very sweet-talker. Knows when to rub the right balls to get ahead (as evident in his Iranian tenure)

As far as coaching and getting results...well...I don't think he had much to hang onto in that department.
well most of iranian coaches don't have these qualifications . even Ali Daei couldn't even get an offer from crappy arab leagues .talking about connections and references if you mean..
i don't care what ghotbi did va che gadr dastman keshi kard but he is more qualified than any iranian coaches . name me another iranian coach who come even close to him ?

Last edited:

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
for sure, he sweet talk his way into Perspolis and TM, that is how he got the job in J league. having TM and PP on your resume helps. IMO it was all with shirin zabooni and avan faribi.

i still think his PP championship in 2008 was not due to his abilities but Kashani's good player selection in off season and the peak performance of they players that season that played for PP, bagheri, alireza nikhbakt etc......

I know korea like the back of my hand LOOL
well you can't really blame ghotbi because of failing qualification in 2010 . Daei screwed that big time , ghotbi got 1-1 in korea ,0-0 against north korea away and beat UAE 1-0 which could be consider a decent result in any other situation . ghotbi got 5 points from 3 games . daei got 6 from other 5 games . that was pretty resume our failure in 2010

Last edited:

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
you should do something right to be able to coach in Japan that long . name me another Iranian who coached even an arab team in last 10 years ?
He is not a high calibre coach but better than 4 ta mesle GN ..

TM & PP was a great stepping stone. You think from USA he would have jumped to J League?

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
well most of iranian coaches don't have these qualifications . even Ali Daei couldn't even get an offer from crappy arab leagues .talking about connections and references if you mean..
i don't care what ghotbi did va che gadr dastman keshi kard but he is more qualified than any iranian coaches . name me another iranian coach who come even close to him ?
We don't have an Iranian coach/manager. NONE exist. Those who hold such titles in Iran are nothing but trainers with big egos who without exception suck so bad that even a nobody like Ghotbi can beat them.

That doesn't make Ghotbi a good coach :)

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
We don't have an Iranian coach/manager. NONE exist. Those who hold such titles in Iran are nothing but trainers with big egos who without exception suck so bad that even a nobody like Ghotbi can beat them.

That doesn't make Ghotbi a good coach :)
Vahid Hashemian is doing the right thing , he is coaching a low division team in Germany so maybe a 5 years or so he will be qualified to lead a bigger team .

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Vahid Hashemian is doing the right thing , he is coaching a low division team in Germany so maybe a 5 years or so he will be qualified to lead a bigger team .
I wouldn't count my chicks until they are hatched. It is just a matter of time that an IPL team would offer him a lucrative job & he will forego the "right thing". Money walks & BS walks as they say.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
for sure, he sweet talk his way into Perspolis and TM, that is how he got the job in J league. having TM and PP on your resume helps. IMO it was all with shirin zabooni and avan faribi.

i still think his PP championship in 2008 was not due to his abilities but Kashani's good player selection in off season and the peak performance of they players that season that played for PP, bagheri, alireza nikhbakt etc......

In the US we have a saying that I like, "it's not the x's and o's it's the Jimmy's and Joe's." What that simply means is it's not about the coaching it's more about the players. Look at the list of great coaches who won multiple championships like Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Bill Parcells, Bill Billachek(spelling) Greg Popovich yes they have or had great tactics but they also had fantastic players as well. It certainly helps you when you have a guy like Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan or Lawrence Taylor on your team. Afshin Ghotbi is an average coach at best of course he is better than GN or other Iranian coaches but so what. You are also right man having Perspolis and Team Meli on your resume is certainly two nice feathers in your cap.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I didn't know he is coaching in a 2nd division German club but good for Hashemian he is a very smart guy. That will open the door for coaching in the Bundesliga, EPL, Sirea A or La Liga. This happens all the time you see college football and basketball coaches who started at some division two school or even high school and eventually they got that big coaching gig. I wish him the best of luck hey Hashemian is a lucky dude he is probably getting paid a decent salary and he gets to live in Germany. Germany is the giant of Europe economically speaking Hashemian should have a good lifestyle living in a developed western country.

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
I didn't know he is coaching in a 2nd division German club but good for Hashemian he is a very smart guy. That will open the door for coaching in the Bundesliga, EPL, Sirea A or La Liga. This happens all the time you see college football and basketball coaches who started at some division two school or even high school and eventually they got that big coaching gig. I wish him the best of luck hey Hashemian is a lucky dude he is probably getting paid a decent salary and he gets to live in Germany. Germany is the giant of Europe economically speaking Hashemian should have a good lifestyle living in a developed western country.
Lower division doesn't mean 2nd division. , it's like 4 or 5th

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Lower division doesn't mean 2nd division. , it's like 4 or 5th
Oh ok thank's for the correction when I hear lower division, I just assume 2nd division but still even playing in the 4th or 5th division in Germany is still better than Iran for one reason. You have more resources it's as simple as that. Hell our players playing in the IPL are not even getting paid. I'll promise you those division four Germany players are at least getting paid and Hashemian is also getting paid as well. This could be a good stepping stone for him to land a better job maybe he will coach in the 2nd division then later on in the big boy leagues aka EPL, Bundesliga, Sirea A and La Liga. Well this is also a good stepping stone for him if he one day wants to coach for TM at least he has European coaching experience.

Aug 21, 2005
next door
well you can't really blame ghotbi because of failing qualification in 2010 . Daei screwed that big time , ghotbi got 1-1 in korea ,0-0 against north korea away and beat UAE 1-0 which could be consider a decent result in any other situation . ghotbi got 5 points from 3 games . daei got 6 from other 5 games . that was pretty resume our failure in 2010
oh no i am not blaming him for failing in the qualification, i am only saying that he waited and waited in Dubai for TM to fail so he can jump in and take over TM. while he was in Dubai he did not have any offer from any clubs and was waiting like an opportunistic parasite to attack. When the time was right he shows up with a big smile and his sweet talking "del e shir koso shir" and says he knows the koreans the best and therefore should take over the team as the headcoach!

do not forget AC 2011 when we failed to beat the korean's again, thanks to his defensive tactics etc.....

Aug 26, 2005
He promised his Japanese club to bring the title, yet couldn't improve on their previous form. Predictable.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
for sure, he sweet talk his way into Perspolis and TM, that is how he got the job in J league. having TM and PP on your resume helps. :drunk:
IMO it was all with shirin zabooni and avan faribi.
I don't agree, ShareNoie has the same resume.
Having TM and SS on his resume helps?
Never!

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
for sure, he sweet talk his way into Perspolis and TM, that is how he got the job in J league. having TM and PP on your resume helps :drunk:. IMO it was all with shirin zabooni and avan faribi.
By the way, you know why it wouldn't help. I can tell you!

Because most of IPL coaches and managers (if there are any) are pure retarded muppets!

The Matrix

Bench Warmer
Jul 25, 2007
LOL ! ....this is like saying : he is a very good striker but he can't score ! he is a good keeper but he has trouble saving the ball !

Afshin Ghotbi not a good coach but would make a good politician . good public relation officer with interest in football .
Its not all the coach's fault! The players are probably not listening to the coach's instructions, the players are not scoring and finishing their shots. Or defending properly.. Some of the players also may have problems with Ghotibi and other stuff.. It is not all up to the coach to get results it has to be a team effort..

Last edited: