Afshin Ghotbi Dedicated Thread!

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
oh no i am not blaming him for failing in the qualification, i am only saying that he waited and waited in Dubai for TM to fail so he can jump in and take over TM. while he was in Dubai he did not have any offer from any clubs and was waiting like an opportunistic parasite to attack. When the time was right he shows up with a big smile and his sweet talking "del e shir koso shir" and says he knows the koreans the best and therefore should take over the team as the headcoach!

do not forget AC 2011 when we failed to beat the korean's again, thanks to his defensive tactics etc.....
well as far as i remember we always played defensive game vs korea in last 10 years , so he wasn't only one and when you play defensive you count on counter attack . we got lucky beating them in last 2 games with this season lets be honest .

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
As another member said . GN coached TM and coached eses if this is a + , why he can't coach a team outside ? we are talking about a guy who many said is best coach for IPL standard ?

i am not a fan of Ghotbi as i believe we are not going any where with Iranian coach( ghotbi include) but i guess people critic about him is base on his attitude and not his ability . i remember when he joined PP , here many people were excited and were excited when he coached TM , as soon as that Ahmadinejad incident happened , as usual and as nature of nation people changed their idea , the way of their talking , etc .

with an honest opinion Ghotbi is way better than 95% of IPL coach . again lasting 3 years in possibly best league in Asia , you should do something right ! Japanese people ba kasi taarof nadare . you do the job you are welcome otherwise you are out ...

Aug 21, 2005
next door
I don't agree, ShareNoie has the same resume.
Having TM and SS on his resume helps?
Never!
As another member said . GN coached TM and coached eses if this is a + , why he can't coach a team outside ?
you guys are right Amir Naziabad has SS, Sepahan, TM on his resume YET he does not have any offers from outside. That's because as someone else mention he does not speak english, what Naziabad has accomplished has been in Thuggish way in IPL, even if he has an offers he will not take it as he will actually have to coach a team now!! last but not least have you look at this guy, he looks like a miveh forosh, at least qotbi can speak english, is actually UCLA educated and look like a legit coach until he opens his mouth with empty promises.

maziar95

Elite Member
Oct 20, 2002
Baltimore, MD
you guys are right Amir Naziabad has SS, Sepahan, TM on his resume YET he does not have any offers from outside. That's because as someone else mention he does not speak english, what Naziabad has accomplished has been in Thuggish way in IPL, even if he has an offers he will not take it as he will actually have to coach a team now!! last but not least have you look at this guy, he looks like a miveh forosh, at least qotbi can speak english, is actually UCLA educated and look like a legit coach until he opens his mouth with empty promises.
Has Amir Naziabad ever coached alongside coaches like Guus Hiddink? Let's not forget before Ghotbi ever set foot in Iran his resume was decent as he was part of South Koreas 2002 World Cup team & that's partly why he was able to become PP head coach .

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
well you can't really blame ghotbi because of failing qualification in 2010 . Daei screwed that big time , ghotbi got 1-1 in korea ,0-0 against north korea away and beat UAE 1-0 which could be consider a decent result in any other situation . ghotbi got 5 points from 3 games . daei got 6 from other 5 games . that was pretty resume our failure in 2010
Well I actually was going to type this but you beat me to it no I don't blame Ghotbi for the failures of 2010 because when he took over TM, he was trying to clean up the mess Daei made and he was fighting an uphill battle. Correct me if I am wrong but I think he had a stint with Iran at the Asian Cup and he failed there and that is what got him fired right? Anyways Ghotbi is a great schmoozer people have pointed at that but as far as coaching goes he is just average. IDK man to me it seems like he is an average coach when it comes to tactics however, coaching is more than just tactics and strategy. What separates the ok coaches from the good coaches in any sport is how can he motivate his players and how can he make his players maintain their composure when things are not going well.
Ghotbi was good at kissing as$ and that is how he got his gig with PP and also TM plus coaching that Japanese team. By the way does anybody know how much did he collect while he was in the J League? I know they pay you a more than decent salary. Did that Japanese team need to pay extra to let him go. I don't know how it works in soccer but in American football let's say you sign a 20 million dollar four year contract and the team fires you after three years. They are still obligated to pay you for your fourth year because it was written in the contract.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Shimizu put up with him for too long
Should have been sacked two years ago ..
I wonder how much money he managed to swindle from them? I was trying to get the answer. He was lucky they kept him this long. I know in American sports if you have a four or five year contract and they can you after a few years, they are still obligated to pay you the rest of the money. Let's say you are an American football coach and you sign a 5 year $25,000,000 contract but the team terminates your contract after year 3. They paid you $15,000,000 but they are still on the books for another $10,000,000. Is that how futbol works as well or once you are terminated you are done?

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
biggest crook ever took the job of TM manager. No history as player, some experience coaching a girl college team, some "aptopmanship" here and there, and basically learned managerial job with PP and TM! Yet he keeps branding himself as an international manager!

Nov 24, 2002
Yes maybe but still managed to coach in J-League and one of east Asian half decent teams(Buriram). Some thing that no other Iranian coach achieved. Again i am not his fan by any mean. Just saying..

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
Actually, in this very forum, most of the PP and TM fans, had the banner of Ghotbi ... he was the idol to many in this forum ... haha

How people change and forget :D

Apr 15, 2016
Suisse
He lowered himself to come to IR and get himself involved in this mafiosi business in the first place. I had a lot of respect for him as someone who just stood away from this mahalaati football and all the dirty characters around this sick football of IR. I lost most of my respect on the spot as he came to IR to coach the IR team or PP. He however had a lot more decency than most others including that siah baaz CQ, to realize IR is not the right place for someone who is after real football, real coaching without getting involved in dirty business and without having to lick the balls of some sardaar o agha zadeh to not be mobbed out of job. He just understood the realities of that shit hole and left quitely. I respect him for that. Coaching Burinam United is by far a more honorable job than to coach the IR team with all those risho pashmoo o sepahi o basiji o heraasati o sardaar o dozd o ramaal o faalgir and players who are more into playing the blame game and visiting Rezas shrine after wins and losses than focusing on the actual thing which is football.

Nov 24, 2002
Is not like he didn't come back to coach in Iran because he didn't want to, he had and still has tax issue and can't return. Otherwise i am sure he would get back to coach in IPL. He was 2 years without coaching any club.

Apr 15, 2016
Suisse
Huh? Of course he did come back to IR because he wanted to! what else? This is where he lowered himself. He is an educated coach who has been coaching away from trouble for quite some time. He shouldnt have gotten himself involved into IR football in the first place.

Nov 24, 2002
My point is as ME said he also took advantage of offers from Iran, when he came to Iran he didn't have any HEAD COACH job in his resume, on top of Persepolis he coached Iran National Team, one of top teams in Asia, it helped him later to get J-League job, do you think they would trust someone with no head coach job experience?

Apr 15, 2016
Suisse
Fuck that head coaching job. As i said, head coaching job of the IR is worth nothing. Its actually a sign of badbakhti. He was an assistant coach of South Korean NT for a combined of 5 or 6 years under great coaches and conditions. Being an assistant coach in South Korea is by far more useful and honorable than to coach the bi daro peykar and unserious IR team and working with wolves and animals around IR football. Now you can think of it the way you want, this is how i see it. Coming to IR was the worst decision of his life like all those who lowered themselves to come to IR and left after a while because they saw they simply couldnt move anything in that shit hole. He could have spend the wasted time in IR, to keep coaching in east asia and spare himself a lot of trouble. They all come with certain expectation and after a while they realize it was a mistake and leave. The only siaah baaz who is por roo enough to stay even if he exactly knows there is nothing he can do to get IR football going, is this CQ dude. I always had respect for Udo Latteck but the day he refused to come to coach in IR, made me have even more respect for his personality. He has seen and observed the environment and refused the good money and said thanks, but no thanks.

Jul 5, 2009
South Dakota
Actually, in this very forum, most of the PP and TM fans, had the banner of Ghotbi ... he was the idol to many in this forum ... haha
How people change and forget :D
I was one of those having him as idol and still have, but I never put up the banner of him, lol.:)
He was a class act fella, still is that Afshin Ghotbi, but it was quite crazy of him to accept the head coach position for Team Melli at that specific time ahead of WC. He became the sacrificial lamb!
Hey homie, Afshin Ghotbi did what your hairpiece-camp-fella head coach still trying and searching for, a trophy. :)
Put up with this clip another day and enjoy, damn that annoying reporter. Who is this muppet, sounds like a tranny!

[video=youtube;GXYzoxXopQM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXYzoxXopQM[/video]

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
biggest crook ever took the job of TM manager. No history as player, some experience coaching a girl college team, some "aptopmanship" here and there, and basically learned managerial job with PP and TM! Yet he keeps branding himself as an international manager!
Good call ME would say he is not a terrible coach but Ghotbi is the definition of mediocre. My favorite coach of all time was Ciro Belosovich. We almost qualified in 2002 but we snapped Ireland's 14 game winning streak, in the playoffs. We were playing a really attractive style of football and the players really liked him. Too bad us Iranians have a tendency to burn bridges. We could have hired him back but it got messy and we got stuck with his understudy, Bronko. For my money, I will say Ciro, despite us not making it that year. I loved that dude. I also loved his interview, when he went back to Croatia. They asked him, "What if USA starts war with Iran?" His response, if I remember correctly was, "I hope that never happens, I consider Iran my 2nd home." What a shame he could have really elevated our football, if we had Ciro in 2006, I guarantee you that Iran team would of performed much better in Germany, maybe even make it out of that tough group. With Ciro, we would not have lost to Mexico 3-1(I was there at that game) and tied to Angola, Bronko came out with 1 striker, 100 yo Ali Daei. In the 2nd half the Mexican coach out coached him. He came out with 3 strikers and Mexico put two more goals in the back of our net. What could have been, sigh. Lessons learned, never burn bridges it can come back to haunt you.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I hope Bairam United don't have to play Korean teams. If they do they should check with Afshin's palms.
On a side note Afshin should pay 10% of his salary to Dariush Zahab who set Ghotbi's career as a head coach.