Afshin Ghotbi Dedicated Thread!

Oct 11, 2004
Sydney, Australia
I know we have only won one game, and he might not do better than Gheloni did last AC; but the way that we played last nite showed a changed team, something we havent seen in Iranian football in a while.

and there are also people around the world who write great things about him (this particular guy has written 2-3 articles about Ghotbi. He loves him more than any of us). It is an interesting read from an outsiders point-of-view:

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/jesse-fink/blog/1039917/Time-to-get-the-A-League-coaching-mix-right

http://www.melbournevictory.net/forum/showthread.php?51105-TO-Sydney-CC-Newcastle-SUBJECT-Get-Ghotbi

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
well on the ball Iran was disappointing mostly, not much better than what we've seen in previous years i.e. inability to put more than a few passes together, too many long balls etc. Off the ball I mostly liked what I saw, with good pressure being put on Iraq by the midfield, reducing their space. Defence was terrible though, especially on set-pieces.

Oct 19, 2002
I like ghotbi but he does not seem to care who is the best for a particular position, he picks whom he likes.

For example Ghotbi insists on having mirzapour on the team not matter how aweful he is or he has performed in the IPL considering we have at least 15 goalkeepers that are better than he is. if you look at the clips of the goals against paykan this season with mirzapour in the goal, its comical, he does not even bother to dive anymore, thats way peykan's new coach does not use mirazapur but somehow he is number 2 in the country in ghotbi's eyes.

alitheking61

Bench Warmer
Dec 11, 2005
We always been critisizing our own talents in everything... "Brain Drain"...we got the best in everything around the world but and big BUT....

hopefully, ghotbi make us pround in future, he got an awesome resume in his age...who knows, maybe in near future he can Coach a big Europian Team and It's very possible!!!

and Regarding his performance in TM, Yes he has been effective... We execute some set pieces after a long time and we have no choice cuz of lack of talents these days...however, our style of playing football brought up with some bad habits that 've been foundation/basic issues of ours which performed regularly in clubs ... and lack of knowledge of our local coaches never helped solving them...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2005
Whilst I enjoy the positive reaction to our comeback win - a sign of character - our play was pretty crappy. It's just too obvious Ghotbi hasn't gotten this team well-drilled because we are sloppy.

Putting that to the side, in a tournament like the AC - which is not a very long one - things can click and character can take over. Who knows how far we can get. But let's not set the bar so low that we talk about the game in Iraq as if Arrigo Sacchi masterminded it.

Ardesheer

Bench Warmer
Jun 30, 2005
This guy, Ghotbi, is talking beyond his mental capacity. He is just a soccer coach and he should stick to that job. No need for him to unite freedom fighters of Iran with the AN segment of the society and the rest of Islamic killers of Iran.

By BARBARA SURK, Associated Press
DOHA, Qatar (AP)—Iran coach Afshin Ghotbi says his team wants to win the Asian Cup title so it will be “a source of inspiration” for the divided Persian nation.

Iran defeated Iraq in its opening Group D match and will play North Korea on Saturday.

Ghotbi compared Iran’s ambition at this year’s continental championship to Iraq’s win in 2007. Sectarian violence had raged across Iraq but the soccer victory united Iraqis in celebration.

Ghotbi says his players are “very, very motivated” by the challenge to do the same for Iran.

Iran has been in political turmoil since the opposition crackdown following the disputed re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in 2009.

Oct 18, 2002
I think someone has used inception to put the idea in his mind that he is capable of doing everything (starting with, winning the asian cup!)

May 12, 2007
Migam zende bad Azizi. Az aval ba en ghotbi joresh dar nemiomad.
Ghotbi also supported khamenei after election

Last edited:
May 12, 2007
He was there til he gets a new job. Now he has a news contract with a new team and
he leaves. Not a decission we take.
Did you decide who should coach before?

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
We always been critisizing our own talents in everything... "Brain Drain"...we got the best in everything around the world but and big BUT....

hopefully, ghotbi make us pround in future, he got an awesome resume in his age...who knows, maybe in near future he can Coach a big Europian Team and It's very possible!!!

and Regarding his performance in TM, Yes he has been effective... We execute some set pieces after a long time and we have no choice cuz of lack of talents these days...however, our style of playing football brought up with some bad habits that 've been foundation/basic issues of ours which performed regularly in clubs ... and lack of knowledge of our local coaches never helped solving them...
LOL. Belongs in the just came in thread.