Afshin Ghotbi Dedicated Thread!

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Aug 26, 2005
Ghotbi went there talking big and promising the championship. In his first season he came 10th - when they had come 6th the year before. He currently has the team at 4th with 6 games to go. The difference between 3rd and 4th is the same as between 4th and 10th - there are only 4 points separating them. I'd wait for the end of the season before calling him a success.

Dec 12, 2002
usa
i always wonder the flag is holding by takhti the green colour is more like black, same as his suit which i believe it was supposed to be dark green .
anyway am i i colour blind or it is the picture seems that way .
thanks .

Zopyrus

Bench Warmer
Aug 11, 2004
He just took his team to the Final in the japanese league cup. Shimizu S-Pulse has only won it once in 1996. Runners-up three times in 1992, 1993, 2008. So this is pretty good, I hope they win!

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
i always wonder the flag is holding by takhti the green colour is more like black, same as his suit which i believe it was supposed to be dark green .
anyway am i i colour blind or it is the picture seems that way .
thanks .
Its green but does seem black in the photo. I think it has to do with the darkness of the photo.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
He just took his team to the Final in the japanese league cup. Shimizu S-Pulse has only won it once in 1996. Runners-up three times in 1992, 1993, 2008. So this is pretty good, I hope they win!
It is. In terms of becoming better and being a contender he has done a good job so far. There seems to be improvements and progress.

ME

Elite Member
Nov 2, 2002
It is not their cup though. It is more like a cup to keep players who are not called for national duty warmed up. Naturally, you would think average teams will do better in these sort of cups.

Aug 26, 2005
Ghotbi went there talking big and promising the championship. In his first season he came 10th - when they had come 6th the year before. He currently has the team at 4th with 6 games to go. The difference between 3rd and 4th is the same as between 4th and 10th - there are only 4 points separating them. I'd wait for the end of the season before calling him a success.
As it turned out Shimizu had a crappy remaining games and lost 3 of their last 4. They ended in 9th place.

Aug 21, 2005
next door
^^he only manged 1 pt in the last 5 game of the season to finish the season in the 9th place. his team was in 4th place and a chance for a ACL spot and a mathematical chance for championship. again he showed that he is not a CLUTCH coach when the games matter and under pressure his tactics sink. mind you to say that i believe at least 2-3 of the remaining games where against teams in the bottom of the table.

also he lost the Japan cup in the final to finish second in that tournament as well. they lost 2-1.

his team still is playing in a Japan emperor cup but they have a tough draw and i do not think his team will reach quarter or semi-finals, let alone finals.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Well my man getting results is a part of the game and he is not a bad coach but at the same time he is not a very good coach. Afshin Ghotbi is the definition of average. He is our Bob Bradley.

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
He belongs next to Namazi coaching a Uni's girl team.
you should do something right to be able to coach in Japan that long . name me another Iranian who coached even an arab team in last 10 years ?
He is not a high calibre coach but better than 4 ta mesle GN ..

Aug 21, 2005
next door
you should do something right to be able to coach in Japan that long . name me another Iranian who coached even an arab team in last 10 years ?
He is not a high calibre coach but better than 4 ta mesle GN ..
for sure, he sweet talk his way into Perspolis and TM, that is how he got the job in J league. having TM and PP on your resume helps. IMO it was all with shirin zabooni and avan faribi.

i still think his PP championship in 2008 was not due to his abilities but Kashani's good player selection in off season and the peak performance of they players that season that played for PP, bagheri, alireza nikhbakt etc......

I know korea like the back of my hand LOOL