Ahmad Abedzadeh called it...

Exoma

Ball Boy
Jul 15, 2005
Anybody else remember Abedzadeh (Who was Esteghlal's goalkeeping trainer I think) say Mehdi Rahmati was going to be the next big thing?

This was during the time when Iran's goaltender situation looked like this:

Ebrahim Mirzapour
Hassan Roudbarian
Vahid Taleblou
Mehdi Vaezi
Mehdi Rahmati

Everybody poked fun at Abedzadeh for stating Rahmati to be the next big goaltender for Iran, but boy was he right. I'm not saying this automatically qualifies Abedzadeh to be Team Melli's goaltending coach, but he has a good eye for young goaltenders.

There was a time that everybody assumed Taleblou to be Iran's number 1 in the future, but Rahmati had gladly taken that spot.

After today's game against Brazil, I am certain Rahmati is a goaltender that can play for big teams like Manchester United, Schalke 04, etc. This guy is amazing, he's in his prime, and boy does he have the reflexes of a cat, and the poise of a pierce octopus! He is able to compete with Kawashima for the title of greatest Asian goalkeeper of our time.

This is a thumbs up for Mehdi Rahmati and god willingly his long and supreme career as an Iranian goaltender, and European club player! :)

Oct 18, 2002
Antelope Valley,California
I remember internet genious coach ,Afazeli, used to make fun of Rahmati during Branco era.

All the names you mentioned were equally OK at that point of time. The only difference is Rahmati improved, and the rest didn't.

Oct 19, 2002
Code:
Everybody poked fun at Abedzadeh for stating Rahmati to be the next big goaltender for Iran, but boy was he right.
Nobody poked fun at abedzadeh as he is well respected.Hejazi and abedzadeh were the best.

I first heard about rahmati from some of the national team players when they came to play mexico in 2000 in northern california, they were bragging about him when he was a youngster and a 3rd string goalkeeper.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Rahmati was really good today but Manchester United????? :) Chera inghadr zood hame jav-gir mishan inja? :)

Exoma

Ball Boy
Jul 15, 2005
Rahmati was really good today but Manchester United????? :) Chera inghadr zood hame jav-gir mishan inja? :)
I agree it seems a bit trite. But you don't think he'd be able to play in the EPL?

I don't necessarily mean a starting goaltender for Manchester United, but I feel as if he's good enough to be on the team.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I agree it seems a bit trite. But you don't think he'd be able to play in the EPL?

I don't necessarily mean a starting goaltender for Manchester United, but I feel as if he's good enough to be on the team.
No sorry, I don't think he's good enough to be in a team like Manchester U. Maybe, just maybe, in teams at the level of Osasuna if even that...

Don't get me wrong. He's among the best and most consistent players we have but that is for Asian standard. Let's not take it over the top.

Feb 22, 2005
Was not last week people complaining about how horrible Rahmanti was and at fault with goals? Was it the Iran-Kuwait game?

Foo

Elite Member
Feb 12, 2006
Den Haag, Holland
Rahmati's the one reason we battled till the last minute for WC qualification. Man Utd is way too exaggerated, but a mediocre European team would be good for him. I don't see him improving much more if he continues to play in IPL.

Exoma

Ball Boy
Jul 15, 2005
No sorry, I don't think he's good enough to be in a team like Manchester U. Maybe, just maybe, in teams at the level of Osasuna if even that...

Don't get me wrong. He's among the best and most consistent players we have but that is for Asian standard. Let's not take it over the top.
You honestly don't think Mehdi Rahmati can be as good as Ben Amos or Tomasz Kuszczak???

Babr

Banned
Nov 24, 2002
Rahmati problem was not being consistant and doing many stupid mistakes while making many huge saves ! but he could finaly become what people expected from him to be , also addition of gordan and compition will make both goalies better ..
i think that should be IRAN 3 keepers 1) Rahmati 2) Gordan 3) Haghighi

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
You honestly don't think Mehdi Rahmati can be as good as Ben Amos or Tomasz Kuszczak???
The thing is that if Rahmati ever gets a contract he wants (and should) get one in a team where he can regularly play. A sub at Manchester U at his age wont make him grow n'or it is good for TM. Because as TM's first goalie he's got to be "match" ready. and as a regular goalkeeper for a team like Manchester U, he doesn't have a chance. He's not even at the same level.

A mediocre European team? Maybe!

I remember Nakisa at his young age was very very promissing. After being TM's number 1 goalie for a while and having a good game in the WC 98 (as far as I remember he had only one mistake against Yugoslavia), he got a contract in a greek club. So I wouldn't really set my hope for Rahmati that high (not even when it comes to mediocre European clubs). but ofcourse anything is possible.

IranZamin

IPL Player
Feb 17, 2006
In WCQ, Rahmati single-handedly saved Daei's ass until the Saudi game. With any of our other keepers we would have lost a handful of those games with embarrassing margins.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
Rahmati is a decent keeper , I think he can still improve his game , he is good but he ain't no Hejazi .

I would like to see him play in Iran and not bench warming in some European team ,Manchester untied is a bit beyond his capabilities .

I thought Shahab Gordan is very young but he is 26 ,never the less I like him as back up to Rahmati with Haghighi as third choice.