Ali vs Tyson

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
ok guys I'm bored as hell and have nothing really better to do today, so I thought opening up this topic on who is the greatest of all time. I really will appreciate those older members here who have seen both of them to respond here and share their opinion with us.

vs

also we shouldn't forget about Frazier and Holfield, they were great fighters.

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
i think Tyson in his prime when he was around 21-22 would knock out any boxer current or past, and if he had proper training in the ground game/submission , he would be one hell of an MMA fighter with his striking skills and raw power.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
There is no question in Tyson power, shit he was knocking out people in the first round. But Ali's footwork and his handspeed together gives ali an advantage over Tyson plus Ali had much more brain and heart than Tyson.

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
There is no question in Tyson power, shit he was knocking out people in the first round. But Ali's footwork and his handspeed together gives ali an advantage over Tyson plus Ali had much more brain and heart than Tyson.
Agreed! If Tyson could get a couple of good punches in on Ali, he might have a chance, but he probably wouldn't be able to. Also, don't forget that Ali had a really strong chin, Frazier, Norton, Foreman, and Holmes were not exactly chopped liver!! They could all throw a very good punch. In fact, in the fight that Ali lost to Frazier that went 15 rounds (BTW, Tyson can't even count to 15, let alone box for that long), Ali's jaw was broken in the 2nd round!! And if you saw the Foreman fight (the rope-a-dope), Ali took some pretty good punches from Foreman before he knocked him out in round 8. So, having seen both fighters, Tyson's chances of beating Ali are about 10%.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
Thank you Khorus jan for your respond:smile:
yeah in his fight against Foremen only few people would have thought Ali can comeback after those punches, Foremen had the killer punches maybe even stronger than Tyson. The era Ali was in was much more competitive than Tyson era, Tyson didn't really had any challenge in 80's, also in 60's and 70's there were more athletic choosing boxing over football or basketball. Tyson wouldn't been able to knock people left and right if he was fighting in 60's or 70's, any of his fight against Frazier or Foremen could go either way. But having said all these Tyson was a warrior, his first fight against Holyfield he got unconscious in the second round but he kept continuing all tough way to round 11 and also had won few rounds going through it, or his fight against Lennox Lewis, he knew Lennox was much smarter and stronger at the moment, all of his acts before the fight was just to bring more attention to that fight, Tyson could easily got knocked out in first few rounds but he stayed there and went through so much punishment that many could have died there. I'm with you Khorus jan on this that Ali is the greatest but I also think Tyson had much more heart than most people think he had and he is one of the greatest boxer in the history and if things would have gone right for him he could knock anybody out maybe even ali, but it's unlikely.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006
I forgot to post this in my first post. This is the clip that shows Ali and Tyson in the same talk show. It is interesting indeed, enjoy...

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
you guys underestimate Tyson, i wasnt alive back in Ali's time, im sure he was a great fighter watching old videos of him. Foreman was not like Tyson, he was pretty slow judging from the fight with Ali. Tyson just weaved through the punches and got close, he was an artist the way he kept dancing around punches and getting close.

but thinking about it again, Ali had the handspeed on him, he had a lightning quick jab, it would have been a huge clash of style, it'd be one hell of a fight for certain.

anyways, Fedor versus Couture, thats what i really want to see

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field
I have seen them both ,I watched many of Ali's fights live .
I also loved Tyson's raw and natural abilty to fight .
Mohammad ali all in all is the greatest boxer of all time ,simply because he had everything and was a lot more consistent than Tyson .
Tyson would have found it very difficult to pin Ali down and land a punch like he used to with other boxers ,Ali would have had him !

Khorus

National Team Player
Oct 25, 2002
CA
you guys underestimate Tyson, i wasnt alive back in Ali's time, im sure he was a great fighter watching old videos of him. Foreman was not like Tyson, he was pretty slow judging from the fight with Ali. Tyson just weaved through the punches and got close, he was an artist the way he kept dancing around punches and getting close.

but thinking about it again, Ali had the handspeed on him, he had a lightning quick jab, it would have been a huge clash of style, it'd be one hell of a fight for certain.

Yep, but if you get a chance to watch ken Norton vs. Ali, you will see that no one was more scrappy than Norton, including Tyson. Norton was a master at bobbing and weaving and getting in close. He was probably the hardest fighter to hit because he was constantly moving and Ali was able to handle him for the most part. Again, if Tyson could get a couple of punches in on Ali, he would have a chance, but Ali was very crafty and had fought fighters like Frazier and Norton who were similar in style to Tyson. Also, don't forget that Ali had a pretty good punch himself, so not only would he keep Tyson away with a stiff jab constantly in his face, he could follow that up with some hooks that would rock Tyson. But, I also agree, it would be one hell of a fight.

tajrish

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
San Diego, California
Tyson was the most exciting boxer to watch at all times because he would go in the ring, take 20-30 seconds to warm up and then would punch the crap out of his opponents. If the opponent could withstand the first 3-4 rounds against Tyson, then you would never know what would happen.

Ali on the other hand was a very patient fighter. He would wait for his chance to come and would grap it the moment he saw it fit, being the first round or the 12th round.

Therefore, it is my opinion that Ali would outbox Tyson, losing the first 4 rounds to him and winning the remaining rounds on points. I don't believe Ali was a very good knock-out fighter, but he sure as hell was the smartest heavy weight the world has seen as of yet.

byebyenow

Elite Member
Jun 3, 2006

No I'm not underestimating Tyson, he was an animal, but what I was trying to say was Tyson would have much harder time facing opponent in 60's and 70's than 80's. Also when Foremen faced ali he was much older than his prime. Yes he was slow but he had great defense plus he was a big man much taller than Tyson, he would make opponent tired then punch them back with one of his killer punches, but if Tyson and Foremen had to face eachother I would put my money on Tyson.
You are right about Tyson was closing down on other opponent, it seems like whoever was going backward against Tyson would end up laying down on the floor, but talking about dancing, Ali could dance all night as he said it himself many times.
Tyson was a great fighter, but Ali was a great boxer. There is a big difference between this two.

Mike Tyson always looked up to Ali and unacknowledged he was the best fighter of all time.

I am too young to judge but from what I have seen, Ali was not a top hard hitter...he was really athletic and technical and fast for his time and weight which gave him the competitive advantage. He could take the pressure and heavy punches and still win. His fight and victor against Fraiser and Forman back up my claim.

As far as Tyson goes, he was a hard hitter and pretty fast too (at his prime) but he was not the type that could take hard hits himself. That is why he could never come back after his prison time.

So I rate Ali is a greater fighter. Also some argue that Rocky Marciano was a better fighter than Ali but from what I have seen from Rocky, I still prefer Ali.

I like this ESPN article on The hardest hitters in heavyweight history

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
So I rate Ali is a greater fighter. Also some argue that Rocky Marciano was a better fighter than Ali but from what I have seen from Rocky, I still prefer Ali.
i think the only people claiming that are Italians, heheh

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
and Elvis was the best blues musician ever, honestly what the fuck, Rocky was not a great BOXER really, he was a good fighter though, plus he looked so awkward its not even funny, some of his decisions are well in doubt and from the highlights ive seen a few of his knockouts look a bit suspicious if you know what i mean (the guy goes down a second too late, lol)

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2005

LOL.

One thing I think that is being neglected is the mental aspect of it. Mohammad Ali would have screwed with Tyson's head so much he would have self-destructed. Tyson had a very short fuse and Mohammad Ali was the king of sledging.

R.BAGGIO

National Team Player
Oct 19, 2002
Toronto
LOL at KAZ

thats true, who the fuck did he fight? Joe Louis when he was 37? Joe Wlacot when he was 37? Archie Moore when he was 40+? seriously get real, he was around 10 years younger than all those guys, did he beat any great fighter in his prime?