Alireza Beiranvand the next Iran great goalie?

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
I have to note that I was very impressed with our goalie. Especially with his catches, dives, punching, and that one ball that fell in front of him and he dove on it. He had no fear and was fighting hard despite all the times he was hit. I was worried about him as he had a decline after his injury and in the Asians champions’ league. But yesterday he proved very strong and confident. This guy is super young, super tall, has such a great throw. He is only 24 and if he continues like this we can really have him in there for at least 10 plus years guarding out goal. I don’t recall having a goal keeper this tall (6’5) and I have seen it as 6’3 as well but he seems taller just based on comparison of those by him. How many times we had goalies that could not kick the ball. They would mess up. Does Mirzapour ring a bell? Or goalies that could not do a long throw. Mark my word guys this guy is special. His ability to do a long kick almost to the other goal and his long throw with his hands making the forward 1-1 against the goalie is something that is being harness and will continue to improve. This is edge we have over all other goalies that our goalie is also an offensive force. That is something that any goalie would dream to have. I have not seen any goalies in the world come close to that throw or actually use it as often. This needs to be improved even more but as of now it is already awesome and a big advantage. If his confidence and physique stay good he will be even better and more dependable. With his height and long arms there is not a forward in the world that can out jump him and he will have a far reach. Yesterday I have to say I was super confident in him and how he played. In my opinion he was one of our top 3 players. Damesh garm.

Feb 4, 2005
For sake of TM I hope all you wrote is right. I also hope his TM (and PP) trainer makes a great keeper out of him. Keep in mind he hasn't been tested against real threat yet but again CQ well organized defense will not give too many chances to any opponents. I think a few friendlies against tough teams will help him improve to become better.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
At this time Iran needs strong friendlies. Not the best of the best but some good teams from S. American, and Europe would be a huge plus for us. That can fine tune the team and allow them to prepare against mightier opponents.

Feb 4, 2005
At this time Iran needs strong friendlies. Not the best of the best but some good teams from S. American, and Europe would be a huge plus for us. That can fine tune the team and allow them to prepare against mightier opponents.
After May 9 (last day of AFC Champions League group stage) until June 12 (game against SK), CQ can have the players for a good enough time and a couple good friendlies can be arranged.

Sep 29, 2004
Ostad Pooya jan, your observations are spot on, and they're all linked to Dan Gaspar, the GK trainer that works with Carlos. Dan has an amazing background and has worked with great keepers over the years. Dan was trained in the German technique of goalkeeping, so his students all have strong technical skills in the air and are good and confident with their feet. They're also taught to use long throws, something Alireza does very effectively. The Germans have completely redefined the position. I know all this because my son (who is 14) works with one of Dan's protégés. In fact, Dan runs a summer GK camp every summer, and my son will be attending it next summer, to learn from him, chat up a little Farsi, and thank him for all he's done for our football. Take care.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Ostad Pooya jan, your observations are spot on, and they're all linked to Dan Gaspar, the GK trainer that works with Carlos. Dan has an amazing background and has worked with great keepers over the years. Dan was trained in the German technique of goalkeeping, so his students all have strong technical skills in the air and are good and confident with their feet. They're also taught to use long throws, something Alireza does very effectively. The Germans have completely redefined the position. I know all this because my son (who is 14) works with one of Dan's protégés. In fact, Dan runs a summer GK camp every summer, and my son will be attending it next summer, to learn from him, chat up a little Farsi, and thank him for all he's done for our football. Take care.
That's very informative. Thank you for sharing that. I hope your sons learns as much as he can and goes up the ladder. That's really awesome. I have always said and thought that the goalie position is the toughest position in the game. You truly need guts to be there. Alireza has all the elements to be one of the best ever out of Iran. I hope he continues to grow.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Which sooti are you talking about? For what I saw he was very confident and efficient. Qataris hit him quite a bit. Specially that knee jerking against his face. I would hardly call that time wasting and the ref did give the Qataris 6 minutes of injury time so it would hardly be time wasting in terms of fairness!

houmanbahal

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2005
Even though he had a sooti, but he recovered and put his face in danger to recover the ball. Overall he had a very good game, few times he try to time waste but he got hit really bad couple times as well. Overall he had a very good game.

Sep 29, 2004
Pooya jan,

Again, you're so right. The keeper position is the most mentally and physically demanding position -- for both the player and the parent. As my son's trainer once told us, goalies are unconsciously held to a very different standard. Think about it -- if the striker converts one out of his ten chances, he's a hero, even though he converted only 10% of his chances. If Alireza saves nine shots, but lets in one, he's deemed a goat, even though he saved 90% of the shots. As a parent, it's nerve-racking, especially having to listen to parents who've either never played the game or don't understand what it takes to be a goalie. And, of course, I can't let me son see or feel what an emotional wreck I am on his game days!

My son, despite being born and raised in the states, is fluent in Farsi and introduces himself at school as being Iranian. He's very proud of his heritage and identity. He wants to play for Team Melli in Azadi. He dreams big!

Thank you.

Nov 24, 2002
Way too early to jump in to the conclusion in his case, i found he had a very average game honestly and wasn't really tested, again as Nader said every keeper looks great behind CQ defensive system, in fact every defense man does look good as well, it is about defending as whole team when they don't have the ball.
He plays Sosha instead the result is the same.
He plays Rahman Ahmadi the result is the same.
He plays Haghighi the result is the same.
He plays Beiro the result is the same.
He goes with Hosseini-PAG as CD the result is the same.
He goes with Hosseini-Montazeri as CD the result is the same.
He goes with PAG-Montazeri like yesterday match and the result is the same again.

Beiro showed some promising sign 2 years a go when he was in Naft, then last year in Naft he had a few bad games, went through argument with Mansourian and was benched and replaced by Sheikhveisi(who is right now Esteghlal Khuzestan no1 keeper and having a great season btw), this year in Persepolis, he had a good start but after his hand injury he was an average keeper at best tbh.

Nov 24, 2002
Pooya jan,

Again, you're so right. The keeper position is the most mentally and physically demanding position -- for both the player and the parent. As my son's trainer once told us, goalies are unconsciously held to a very different standard. Think about it -- if the striker converts one out of his ten chances, he's a hero, even though he converted only 10% of his chances. If Alireza saves nine shots, but lets in one, he's deemed a goat, even though he saved 90% of the shots. As a parent, it's nerve-racking, especially having to listen to parents who've either never played the game or don't understand what it takes to be a goalie. And, of course, I can't let me son see or feel what an emotional wreck I am on his game days!

My son, despite being born and raised in the states, is fluent in Farsi and introduces himself at school as being Iranian. He's very proud of his heritage and identity. He wants to play for Team Melli in Azadi. He dreams big!

Thank you.
Welcome back.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Which sooti are you talking about? For what I saw he was very confident and efficient. Qataris hit him quite a bit. Specially that knee jerking against his face. I would hardly call that time wasting and the ref did give the Qataris 6 minutes of injury time so it would hardly be time wasting in terms of fairness!
I was being sarcastic. He did have a good day. One thing that most folks don't realize about having a confident and good keeper vs. a shaky one is the confidence that is provided or lack thereof to the defensive line. As a defender, if you feel confident about your keeper, then you play with a lot more confidence yourself because you know that if you mess up, your keeper will be able to save your ass. However, it you have a shaky keeper in the net, as a defender you will be on pins and needles because if you mess up, the ball most likely will end up in the net.

The fact that any keeper will do great with this defensive line is a fallacy because it is the keeper that provides the extra confidence not the other way around...

Last edited:

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Ask yourself this question Finally? Was he really tested?
Keeper position is more mental than physical. It depends what you mean by tested. Did he have to save a penalty kick before you say he passed the test.
Keepers are being tested constantly and you can't just say, oh yes he passed the test in this game, therefore he is a great keeper. You are as good as your last performance.

The fact that he made the point blank save in last second of the game was a decent test of his mental capability as well as his physical capability.
Being a great keeper does not mean you have to make amazing dives at all time. In fact, if a keeper has to constantly make amazing athletic leaps to save the ball, raises the question of if he is positioning himself right or not.

Nov 24, 2002
Keeper position is more mental than physical. It depends what you mean by tested. Did he have to save a penalty kick before you say he passed the test.
Keepers are being tested constantly and you can't just say, oh yes he passed the test in this game, therefore he is a great keeper. You are as good as your last performance.

The fact that he made the point blank save in last second of the game was a decent test of his mental capability as well as his physical capability.
Being a great keeper does not mean you have to make amazing dives at all time. In fact, if a keeper has to constantly make amazing athletic leaps to save the ball, raises the question of if he is positioning himself right or not.
I agree with the positioning statement and specially the older ones like Buffon who can't jump right and left like in early 20s plays it really smart and that is why they can last this long. My question was more like how many really dangerous goal scoring chances Qatar had? And if a keeper doesn't make the few saves here and there that Beiro made then what is the difference between National Team caliber keeper and League 1 or 2.

The younger generation keepers issue is consistency. I for one will be more than happy if we finally find one who establish himself for more than just 1 or 2 years, in fact we didn't have anyone since Rahmati exclusion. That is something like what? 5-6 years,? We changed around 3-4 keeper so far. Clearly shows lack of consistency.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Babr jaan and Finally jaan you both bring up valid points and I agree with the both of you on certain factors you have mentioned. First to consistency Babr yes it is true that we have not had that type of consistency yet from Rahmati time but this guy is young and only 24. He can be very consistent and beneficial to us for years to come. It is not true that other keepers would have had the same result. As mentioned the confidence and the abilities of the goalie is injected into the team as you yourself talked about the save that Abedzadeh made with one hand. Anyone that has played football even at street level knows that being a goalie takes guts, dedication, and special talents. At this level it is the best of the best. I do not think his play was a sooti that the ball dropped. It happens. What’s important is he put his face and everything in danger to save the ball. If you give it a 100% and you fail you are a winner as you have done your best. That’s what we can ask for. For a goalie to give it their best. And he recovered. His abilities go beyond just saving a shot. His height gives me a big edge when existing, he being fearless allows him to exit and do that. We have had many goalies that do not have the balls to come out. We always had issues with that. His kicks going all the way to the other goal line is a huge advantage. His throw on the counter is a huge advantage. I agree he needs time to prove himself and show CONSISTENCY. Yes consistency is key here but he does possess so many attributes that will give him the edge needed and he is the best in those terms that we have. His throw alone can be a game changer as seen in the past. Now combine that with his saving and exiting capabilities and you have the total package.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I agree with the positioning statement and specially the older ones like Buffon who can't jump right and left like in early 20s plays it really smart and that is why they can last this long. My question was more like how many really dangerous goal scoring chances Qatar had? And if a keeper doesn't make the few saves here and there that Beiro made then what is the difference between National Team caliber keeper and League 1 or 2.

The younger generation keepers issue is consistency. I for one will be more than happy if we finally find one who establish himself for more than just 1 or 2 years, in fact we didn't have anyone since Rahmati exclusion. That is something like what? 5-6 years,? We changed around 3-4 keeper so far. Clearly shows lack of consistency.
Performing at club level in IPL is totally different than performing at international level. While former is a prerequisite, but the latter can only be achieved with experience.
In fact, that's what separated Rahmati from other keepers. He had many international caps as he had the luxury of being called up as #1 for a long time. However, that also created a void when your #1 keeper cannot play for whatever reason and you have to rely on a keeper with little or no international experience.

As you mentioned earlier, we now are able to put many different keepers in the goal for TM and results are the same. Guess what, because they are all gaining international experience and that can only help TM.

Apr 15, 2016
Suisse
نه آقا جان, اینا رو دوباره گوندشون نکنید, اینا ترقه هم نیستن, پس فردا فکر میکنن بمب اتم هستن. بهترین دروازبان تیم آخوندا سال هاست که همون کربلائی رحمتیه که اونم آشغالیست مثل ملیون ها آشغال دیگه. دروازه بان های ایرونی همشون واسه یکی دوتا سوتیه ناجور در طول یک بازی خوبن. از حجازی گرفته تا این یارو میمون بیرانوند که وقتی تو دروازه وایساده دماغش اونور زمین تو آفسایده.

oghabealborz

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2005
Strawberry field

I agree with all except your last comment ,maybe you should raise question about his defenders that forces him to make amazing athletic leaps !

The goal being so big it is impossible to save every shot specially those hit with speed and accuracy for example top left or right corner like the one Pobolski scored for Germany against England ,there was absolutely no chance for any keeper to save that ,you would not have enough time to adjust your position and take a step and leap and even touch that ball with your finger tips ,not with the way and how it was hit.

there are many other instances that a top goalie does anticipate and adjust his position and make a comfortable save rather that having to go full stretch dive towards it , but not all.