Stock/commodities Discussion

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
At the end of each decade the 10 largest companies have been constantly changing. The only constant has been Microsoft for 3 decades. In 2030 who will
be on the list? decade.PNG

1970s Big oil
1980s Japanese banks
1990s Dot com bubble
2000s A mix
2010s The FANGs & a few others

Oct 18, 2010
same with msft if you are a long term holder.
it was in a miserable $25-50 range for almost
20 years before it started to take off in aug. 2016 :p

Untitled.png

Oct 18, 2010
i keep a very small managed e-trade account just to
see how the fund managers behave.
it helps me get an advance notice on market sentiments
by people who manage billions.
i noticed that yesterday they sold large cap and value stocks
and bought emerging, small cap securities and added more
municipal bonds.
to me that indicates a near term decline in the index markets is coming up
after labor day, just fyi :LOL:

Oct 18, 2010
here is a tip to make some money for my fans:

amd is supposed to take over xlnx by the 4th quarter of 2021.
in this deal xlnx owners will get 1.7234 of amd at the close of
the deal.

the deal needs approval both in china and the usa.

amd stock has gone up more than 30% since last tuesday
earning release and is now close to $120 a share.

xlnx on the other hand has been going down and is now trading
at less than $145 a share.

simple math tells you that if you buy xlnx right now you are effectively
getting amd for $85 a share(details left as an exercise for the reader).

the only problem that can arise is for china not to approve the merger.
but that is highly unlikely imo :LOL:
if you followed my tip and bought xlnx it's now trading at $220
amd is around $151 which means it's not too late to squeeze
another 18% out of amd/xlnx merger :cool:

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Fellas, I am not going to lie and say I am Warren Buffet, when it comes to the Stock Market, but I can tell you this much. The stock markets
is not for guys like us. Who is the stock market for you might ask? It is for CEOs of fortune 500 companies who receive dividends and pay
next to nothing on their taxes. First of all, I think that half of the people who are investing in the stock market, should probably not be doing so.
As a finance professor told me when I asked, "Sir, when should i think about investing?" He mentioned
1- When you have no debts and at least six months to one year of your annual salary saved up, then you can think about investing.
Even then, you are playing against a stacked deck, you are probably better off going to where I am, and bet on red or black, on the Roulette table.
I think the safest thing to do, if one has to invest in a 401K or a $0th Ira is picking an S&P 500. One thing I can tell you is don't invest in just a couple of stocks like Amazon and or Apple. If it hits the fan n then you are up the gamgees without a paddle. If you are not in the situation that I mentioned, then I will share a Russian proverb. How do you double your money, fold it, put it in your pants, and keep it there.

Oct 18, 2010
if you are nervous about the securities market and the growing
inflation and want no risk 'investment' i have a tip for you.

you can invest in ibonds from the u.s. gov.
it's like a regular bond but the interest you get is tied directly
to the official inflation rate, right now it is more than 7%.

only u.s. citizens or permanent residents can buy these and
only the gov directly sells it to you :p

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ibonds/res_ibonds.htm

What is an I bond?
A savings bond that earns interest based on combining a fixed rate and an inflation rate.
Comparing I Bonds to EE Bonds
Comparing I Bonds to Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities (TIPS)
What interest does an I bond earn?
A combination of a fixed rate that stays the same for the life of the bond and an inflation rate that is set twice a year. For bonds issued from November 2021 through April 2022, the combined rate is 7.12%. How do I bonds earn interest?
Is it taxable?
Federal income tax: Yes
State and local income tax: No
Tax Considerations for I bonds
Using the money for higher education may keep you from paying federal income tax on your interest. See "Education Planning."

Oct 18, 2010
here is an easy and almost sure way to make a 15-20% on
your inactive funds for the next 12 months.

microsoft announced it is going to buy activision(atvi) for $95 a share in cash.
the deal is set to be finalize in 2023.

right now you can buy atvi at $82 and some change and just sit on it until
the deal is done.the only risk is if the deal does not go through which is minimal :D

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/acti...-36-on-microsoft-takeover-news-141836539.html

Oct 18, 2010
charlie tells me i can't trade russian securities any longer.
also if you have any mutual funds with russian securities
you are going to be hit :D

Untitled.png

IEI

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2002
The S&P 500, which market analysts consider the best measurement of the overall U.S. stock market, tumbled more than 2 percent on Friday, falling briefly into bear market territory during the trading session.

The index later recovered, finishing the day 0.01 percent higher.

Stocks slip into a bear market when the major indexes tumble 20 percent from their highs. Investors pay attention to this figure because it affords them an opportunity to compare previous downturns in the financial markets and determine where equities could be headed next.

Some of the top names listed on the S&P 500 are Amazon, Microsoft, Home Depot, JPMorgan Chase, and Johnson & Johnson.

The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index is already in the bear market territory. The Nasdaq has plummeted nearly 29 percent so far this year, staying just above 11,000. The Dow Jones Industrial Average, weighted in favor of banks and industrials, is not too far behind its benchmark index counterparts as it has declined about 15 percent to nearly 31,000.

Last edited:

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
What a blood bath. My only two positions that are doing great are DRV and SRS (Don't fight the Fed). If I didn't have them I would be wiped out. INTC with an almost 6% dividend is crazy but I won't fall in that value trap again.