Stock/commodities Discussion

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Those who bet against AMZN are the same who bet against Bitcoin & crypto. AMZN @ $1219 today.
Who in their right mind would bet against AMZN? It's the "right now" and "future" of retail. Unless a viable competitor pops up, Amazon remains 'the shit' for the foreseeable future. Even Walmart can't keep up and Walmart knows retail down to the T.

There's simply nothing to slow down or stop Amazon. I do see the stock getting overvalued at some point in the next 10 years or so though, but there's a long way to that.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
I don't believe in owning individual stocks except three companies that i sort of understand their competitive advantage.

Google
Amazon
Alibaba

for everything else => ETF.

I am gradually converting everything i have into ETFS. but will hold on to those three for at least the next 5 years.

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
I don't believe in owning individual stocks except three companies that i sort of understand their competitive advantage.

Google
Amazon
Alibaba

I am gradually converting everything i have into ETFS. but will hold on to those three for at least the next 5 years.
I don't even hold those individually. Everything should really be in ETFs.

The only individual stocks I hold are Canadian banks. There's nothing more crash-proof than a Canadian bank. It's better protected than the country itself! If you think I'm kidding, read about it. The entire Canadian nation will have to die first, and all the resources must be sold before Canadian banks go away :)

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005

Google
Amazon
Alibaba

The only ETF I own is down (SLV). I own individual stocks only.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
The only ETF I own is down (SLV). I own individual stocks only.
I have worked in very large corporations (worked in plenty of small ones too). i fundamentally don't believe in today's short term oriented management classes that running corporate america.

moreover i lack any real knowledge on a long term real advantage one company has vs the other in many industry.

because I grew as child in Iran. I kind of know the very basics about oil companies. the 7 majors. the high level views between downstream or upstream businesses.

but how on earth would I independently know that Chevron is doing a good job in their refining business. or they are doing a good job in their lease business.

That is how would i even know Chevron is better or worse than Exon. the answer is I would not know. I don't think I would even have definitive answer if I was petroleum engineer.

when it comes to new fields, like medical sciences,biotech, I am 100% unqualified to have a real opinion on company's technology vs the other.

when it comes to banks to insurance companies, I have no real knowledge of how much risks they are taking. and whether they are underwriting things properly.

lets talk about a more meaningful thing that we can touch and feel.

we all drive cars. how would i know if GM, Ford, Honda, Toyota is gone doe better.

the reality is i dont know. i am biased against Ford. because I believe they are behind in autonomous and electric drive trains.

but in reality I would need to know how many big cars vs small cars they are producing. what is the cost structure of their factories globally.
it gets really complicated really fast.

but today as a whole i can actually buy an ETF and be as whole be bearish against the auto sector. thats because with autonomous technology i buy the thesis that less people will need to buy cars. and they would instead would desire transportation service rather than outright owning a car.
this paradigm could create dislocation in the industry that might take them years to adopt to.
but i have no ideal who will be winner or loser.

more over, how do i know if a company like Herba life or exon is gone regulatory issues or not. => I would not know.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
There's literally nothing to dislike about Amazon these days. Nothing. I don't know why other online stores even exist.

There is one thing that is concerning for shareholders though:

The other day, I was too lazy to drive to Walmart to buy a box of Bounty papertowels. So I ordered on Amazon (same price as Walmart) and chose same-day delivery (it's free where I am). 3 hours later, some guy showed up and gave me the papertowels. I asked him how the pay for his job was and he said it was pretty good.

Amazon is clearly losing money on that purchase of mine even taking into account my Prime membership fee.

If enough people become lazy like me and order things the way I do, Amazon should go bankrupt! LOL!

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
There's literally nothing to dislike about Amazon these days. Nothing. I don't know why other online stores even exist.

There is one thing that is concerning for shareholders though:

The other day, I was too lazy to drive to Walmart to buy a box of Bounty papertowels. So I ordered on Amazon (same price as Walmart) and chose same-day delivery (it's free where I am). 3 hours later, some guy showed up and gave me the papertowels. I asked him how the pay for his job was and he said it was pretty good.

Amazon is clearly losing money on that purchase of mine even taking into account my Prime membership fee.

If enough people become lazy like me and order things the way I do, Amazon should go bankrupt! LOL!
You are right but they have developed such a loyalty that people buy from them without shopping around anymore. Because of that they have higher margins on a lot of products now. I was buying a frying pan at Ross and when I checked Amazon for the same pan it was more than double in price. That got me curious and I checked all their pots and pans and on every single one Amazon was significantly higher and on most over double. $1400 by the way is the stock price today!

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
You are right but they have developed such a loyalty that people buy from them without shopping around anymore. Because of that they have higher margins on a lot of products now. I was buying a frying pan at Ross and when I checked Amazon for the same pan it was more than double in price. That got me curious and I checked all their pots and pans and on every single one Amazon was significantly higher and on most over double. $1400 by the way is the stock price today!
Amazon is very seldom competing on price. they are competing on convince and on price they will be mostly in the middle of the pack.

the review question you read on amazon are priceless.

and when you are dealing with thirdparty sellers on amazon it is worth to pay the extra money. because amazon will force them to take a shitty product back.

try doing that on Ebay. you will 5 hours worth of time before they take it back.

Oct 18, 2010
i bought some ba(boeing) right after they started talking with iran air
about selling them new planes.
it's been a very good investment.

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
i bought some ba(boeing) right after they started talking with iran air
about selling them new planes.
it's been a very good investment.

never mistaken the whole market going up for you being smart.
I have made that mistake plenty of times.

It is just a bull market. we shall have bear market too.

the important thing is to know why you bought anything you bought.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I think I have mentioned this before but I have never been a fan of investing in one or a couple of stocks. Never put your eggs in one basket. If you insist on investing in the stock market, do a mutual fund or ETF. Here is an interesting article, which explains the difference between the two.
Mutual funds can be broken down into two types, open ended and closed ended. With ETF, the legal structure is three types

1-Exchange-Traded Open-End Index Mutual Fund
This fund is registered under the SEC's Investment Company Act of 1940, whereby dividends are reinvested on the day of receipt and paid to shareholders in cash every quarter. Securities lending is allowed and derivatives may be used in the fund.

2-Exchange-Traded Unit Investment Trust (UIT)
Exchange-traded UITs are also governed by the Investment Company Act of 1940, but must attempt to fully replicate their specific indexes, limit investments in a single issue to 25% or less, and set additional weighting limits for diversified and non-diversified funds. UITs do not automatically reinvest dividends, but pay cash dividends quarterl.

3-Exchange-Traded Grantor Trust
This type of ETF bears a strong resemblance to a closed-ended fund but, unlike ETFs and closed-end mutual funds, an investor owns the underlying shares in the companies that the ETF is invested in, including the voting rights associated with being a shareholder. The composition of the fund does not change; dividends are not reinvested but instead are paid directly to shareholders. Investors must trade in 100-share lots. Holding company depository receipts (HOLDRs) are one example of this type of ETF.

Each person needs to pick what works for them however as my MBA professor mentioned, "Before you invest in the stock market, make sure you are debt free and have six months to one year of your salary saved up." That stuck with me.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/exchangetradedfunds/08/etf-mutual-fund-difference.asp

Oct 18, 2010
last time i checked there were quite a few losers in dow over the past 52 weeks even though
'the whole market went up', ge is a good one, ouch!
and ba did not just went up it soared more than 115% in one year which is 50% more than
amzn that the posters in this thread seem to go gaga over. and the kicker is ba did it while
paying a 2% dividend too.

May 9, 2004
داوجونز در عرض دو سه روز 3600 نقطه نزول کرد
تا الان به این شکل نزول نکرده بود
حتی در دوشنبه سیاه

Bache Tehroon

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
داوجونز در عرض دو سه روز 3600 نقطه نزول کرد
تا الان به این شکل نزول نکرده بود
حتی در دوشنبه سیاه
It's a normal pull-back. Anyone who didn't expect this at some point would be a fool. There will be even more pullbacks but stocks are still the best investment out there. It's generally a good time to buy.