Any good series to watch like breaking bad or dexter?

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
Business is slow & I am bored. I am looking to watch a series. I watched the 2 above & loved breaking bad & liked Dexter. I started watching house of cards but it doesn't do it for me. American politics bores me even though Spacey is a genious but I couldn't get into it. Any recommendations? I hate science fiction by the way so no sci fis. I like dramas & drugs & violence & it has to be on netflix. Thanks in advance.

Fatso

Captain
Oct 1, 2004
Sons of Anarchy has all of the above.
I would recommend Mad Men as well but it is not very violent.

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne
The Walking Dead, if your into that kind of TV show.

Sons of Anarchy is my absolute favourite, amazing show, highly recommended as you can see by others as well.

Just watch Sopranos if you haven't watched it, that show is unbelievable no matter how many times you watch it. And if you haven't watched it before, then you must give it a go. (again, depends on your taste if you liked movies like the Goodfellas, Godfather etc) then this is the show for you.

a123321r

National Team Player
Oct 27, 2002
bradford, england
try to get into house of cards again.. it's really good..have you watched homeland yet?and also newsroom (they actually hired investigative journalists for this at a time when CNN let go of the investigative journalists they had.. so they take their facts more seriously than the news channels and for me being factual makes it more interesting but it's really well made as well)

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
The Walking Dead, if your into that kind of TV show.

Sons of Anarchy is my absolute favourite, amazing show, highly recommended as you can see by others as well.

Just watch Sopranos if you haven't watched it, that show is unbelievable no matter how many times you watch it. And if you haven't watched it before, then you must give it a go. (again, depends on your taste if you liked movies like the Goodfellas, Godfather etc) then this is the show for you.
Sopranos was the only series I ever watched on TV until a couple of months ago I watched breaking bad. Sopranos was the best.

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
Zob Ahan jan since you are one of my favorite members I will break this down for you to a little more detail then you can pick what show you like to see. I am one of those people that tries to see many of them and follow them closely so I can give you an insight on many shows that I think are the best over the years. I gave you all the series ones except for Lilyhammer which is a light comedy.

OZ: In my opinion the best drama ever made on TV and it’s the first long adult show made on the premium networks which was aired on HBO. This show follows the story of a correctional facility named (Oswald) which the inmates refer to as OZ. Its an experimental unit which houses some different rules than your historic institutions and the story follows various convicts, gangs, groups, with their daily lives and activities here. It is very well written and greatly acted and can get you emotional as well. It was aired for 5 or 6 seasons and was late 90’s to early 2000’s.

Boardwalk Empire: Follows the prohibition in the 1920’s in Atlantic city with relation to boot legging, gansteres, and their daily activities. There are a number of famous gangsters shows there and their stories followed. Characters such as Al Capone, Lucky Luchiano, Rostein, and Myer Lansky. Very violent and entertaining.

Borgias: Follows the story of a Pope from the 15th or 16th century who was very corrupted and involved in scandal, sex, and war. In relation to his family and others and stars Jermie Irons. Very good show indeed.

Band of Brothers and the Pacific: These two shows are HBO production and is a mini series about WWII. One covers the European front and one from the Pacific. Very good show. Violent and Drama

SPARTACUS: If you like very bloody violence, sex, backstabbing and politics this is a must see. In all ancient warfare movies I have seen this is bar far the BEST when it comes to graphics and killing scenes. You will see literally a man killed in every way possible by a sword. Heads cut off, sword through the mouth, and and and. There is a lot of SEX and hot girls in there too. Follows the story of Spartacus on how he became a slaved to a gladiator and to a leader. Is fictionalized but a must watch for graphics and entertainment.

Rome: Similar to Spartacus but follows the story of Julies Caesar and Mark Antony. Much more in depth that Spartacus and display of life back then. Great show too.

Homeland: Follows the story of Nicholas Brody who is a US soldier returned from war after several years missing and turned into a man to go against his own country with relation to famous terrorist in the ME. Iran is involved in a season and some good Iranian actors in there such as Navid Negahban, and Sean Toub. Very entertaining spy game with lots of thinking to be put into it when you follow it. It gives you clues and similar to Breaking bad in you trying to figure out things.
Ray Donavan: Set in Los Angles he is a guy that fixes things. He is a man you use when you have a problem. Good cast that includes Liev Schreiber and John Voight.

Lillyhammer: This is Netflix original and a comedy. Its about a guy who goes to Norway for a new start as he was a mob member here in the states. He rungs into all these problems in the small city of Lilly Hammer. The guy from the Sopranos is there.

Game of Thrones: Great Fantasy that will move slow in the first couple of seasons. It’s one of the most popular books rights now (Song of Ice and Fire) and 5 or 6 books have been published so far. There will be a total of 7. It’s a story of all these different groups that are fighting is this vast area. Has witch craft, Giants, Dragons, and many warriors. This is extremely well written with a very entertaining story line. If you have time it’s a MUST WATCH. This is season 4 I believe and its only covering the second half of book 3. The story has gotten deep and very entertaining.

True Blood: HBO show about vampires and other creatures. Lots of hot girls, fantasy with various creatures that live amongst us, (Werewolves, ware panthers, Shape Shifters, Vampires, And, And). I really suggest you watch it as its very entertaining and interesting what they are involved in and what they can do. They are based in a small city in Louisiana called Bon Temps and has that cool southern charm to it. It’s a very successful show that its will be airing the 7th season this year.

Luck: This show only aired one season and had great actors such as Dustin Hoffman, and Nick Nolte in there. It’s about horse racing in Los Angeles. Because some horses died in the process the showing was stopped. Great 1 season to watch.

Last edited:

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
^^Thanks OP jan for the kind words & the informative post. I started watching Lilyhammer (only the 1st ep) & I think I'm gonna like it.

Sly

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
Siyavash jan, if you're ok with fantasy, as the others say, try Games of Thrones. It's really great!

However Pooya mentioned the best production in history of television..... I think I reserve that for "Rome" from afew years back! Strongly recommended if you haven't seen it.

I have also seen a lot of series:

Spartacus
Homeland
Lost
Heroes
Breaking Bad
True Blood
Games of Thrones

etc. etc.

All great series but none of them stood out for me as much as Rome did. Games of Thrones ends up on the second place so far!

Last edited: