Any Q7, X5 or ML350 owners here?

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Never thought I'd buy an SUV, but I guess times change and needs arise.

Kind'a tired of driving Japanese cars all my life. Was thinking of giving one of the Germans a try. There's Audi Q7, MB ML350 and the BMW X5.

Any owners of these here? Any complains or comparisons that you've made before?

Just throwing this out there since we Iranians are total KHOREH when it comes to these brands.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Never thought I'd buy an SUV, but I guess times change and needs arise.

Kind'a tired of driving Japanese cars all my life. Was thinking of giving one of the Germans a try. There's Audi Q7, MB ML350 and the BMW X5.

Any owners of these here? Any complains or comparisons that you've made before?

Just throwing this out there since we Iranians are total KHOREH when it comes to these brands.
Ok I can tell you that my dad has the X5 and they are good cars but they have some problems from time to time. When they do, you are going to be crying, when you go to the mechanic shop. My dad's X5 had some issues, he just got a diesel E250. Now I would recommend a TRUCK to you if you want to get an SUV but I don't think you want to buy a truck so we will stick with these three choices.

My step dad has the Audi Q7 and I think it is nicer than the X5 and more reliable. One thing I would recommend is looking at some of the diesel SUV models. I know Mercedes has a Diesel SUV. Diesel will give you better gas mileage and you will get at least double on your engine. A standard SUV will go 200,000 miles, standard truck about 170,000 but you can get over 400,000 EASILY on a diesel engine. I was going to say the Toyota 4 Runner TRO is pretty cool, it is the closest thing we have to the HJ BUT it is a Toyota and you do not want to go Japanese.

Check this article Mercedes and Audi have a diesel SUV. The Audi Q5 TDI is pretty nice and so is the the GLK 250 blue tech so you might want to check into those options as well. http://www.greencarreports.com/news...sovers-jeep-audi-mercedes-fuel-economy-tested

BTW I am saving up and hopefully in like 5-6 years, I can get a Dodge Ram 2500, with the Cumins V8 Diesel Engine. If you tweak the bed and delete the truck, you can get 17/22 combination probably 20MPG and they are only going to improve with time. That is me though, I am going to take that off roding and on ski trips to UTAH. New, these trucks are worth over 60,000 but you can get one 3-4 years old between 30-35k. However, you said you do not want a TRUCK so I am going to rule those out.

I say look at the Q5 and the GLK 250 for the diesel models and if you insist on getting a gas powered SUV, the Q7 is very nice. Make sure you get it a few years pre owned though because those new ones can be pretty dam expensive. Just my thoughts. I will let you know more if I come on more research(. This should give you a good start. Also, read reviews on the models you like, EDMUNDS is a good source and people write honest reviews there. You can also read EDMUND's reviews which are pretty solid.

Also, without knowing what your intentions are, it is hard to answer your question. Are you going to need to toe something, are you going to take this to a construction site or things like that or are you driving your SUV to the office? That changes things a bit if you are using it for work or pleasure.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
Thanks Sherwin.

Yeah I'm not buying new. It's quite foolish in North America.

Cars have consistently been getting uglier year after year, but these 3 German ones seem to possess a conservative style that doesn't look like "Hey I'm a spaceship!"

Look at the Lexus RX for example. Could anyone have come up with an uglier design for an SUV? What the fuck?!

My concern with the European cars is their maintenance. Having driven Acuras and Toyotas all my life, I have no idea why I want to get myself into that German nightmare, but hey, I'm just bored!

That's why I posted this thread. Does anyone out there regret buying any of these 3 SUVs or similar ones?

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Sherwin.

Yeah I'm not buying new. It's quite foolish in North America.

Cars have consistently been getting uglier year after year, but these 3 German ones seem to possess a conservative style that doesn't look like "Hey I'm a spaceship!"

Look at the Lexus RX for example. Could anyone have come up with an uglier design for an SUV? What the fuck?!

My concern with the European cars is their maintenance. Having driven Acuras and Toyotas all my life, I have no idea why I want to get myself into that German nightmare, but hey, I'm just bored!

That's why I posted this thread. Does anyone out there regret buying any of these 3 SUVs or similar ones?
Well you are right, it is foolish to buy NEW here in North America, be it the USA or if you live in Canada. I must say the style of the German SUV's are much nicer Lexus/Toyota are the king of BLAND DESIGN'S. I drove Toyota Camry's all my life and I am going to get another one, a 2015 but ONLY until I save up for my truck. For my purpose, it would be more suitable for me to take a truck so I cn go off road and toe if I need to. The only SUV you can do that with is a Toyota 4 Runner. They are solid cars but again BORING! Toyota and Honda are the kings of bland designs on their cars.

What I want to tell you is, I have fam from Michigan and they are the car experts. They told me if I want to get a truck, whatever I get, make sure it is Diesel. Now when it comes to Trucks, you either want to pick a DOdge, Ford or Chevy. Try as they might, Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan just are not as good. Now again, I want to go off road and take this thing on ski trips. If I ever get enough money< I woudl also like to get a boat so a 3/4 Ton Diesel Truck would be worth it for me. Actually, the Dodge Ram 2500(which is a V8 DIESEL WITH A CUMMIN'S ENGINE) GETS better gas mileage than my dad's BMW X5.

I want you to take a look at the AUDI Q5 TDI model. I think that SUV is going to fit your needs and you will get a nice bonus, like you can drive it for 400,000 miles. IF you put 100k on it(not hard to do) and have a regular gas powered SUV, you only have 1/2 of the life of the car(If everything goes well). The Q5 is obviously smaller than the Q7. Check out the review by one of the places I like to go to MOTORTREND.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/audi/q5-tdi/2016/

Notice the 24/31 MPG and you will have plenty of power with a V6 Turbo Diesel engine.

It might be something you might want to consider, I am just trying to think like you here mate haha. If I were BT, what kind of an SUV would I want? The answer, the Audi Q5 and the price won't break the bank. These SUV's are 50,000 NEW so you can get one 2-4, for pennies on the dollar, maybe 30-35k. Hell the price of a New Toyota Camry FULLY LOADED is 35,000, think about it that way. Even if you just want the stripped down LE 4 Cylinder, it will set you back almost 25K so really, it is not that much. Good job on not buying it new, use the other guy's insecurity to your advantage. You do not need to be the first guy on the block with a new car. That is why most Americans are in dept $15,000 plus they spend extra on luxuries. The average 4 door sedan costs around 20-25K but Americans pay $10,000 more for the extra luxuries. Why? Oh man it makes my head hurt, anyways I hope this helps you in making your decisions.

I would still do my research and there are two places I would go to. Motertrend and Edmunds.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
I had an X5. I liked it until it needed a new transmission at 60000 miles. I sold it a year later. It drove very nicely & didn't feel too much like an SUV. The only reason I bought it was because there was a tax credit for trucks exceeding 6000 lbs. at the time. Including the tax credit the brand new X5 cost me $36K which was a great deal. It was a 2003. They still look good and up to date after 13 years.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I had an X5. I liked it until it needed a new transmission at 60000 miles. I sold it a year later. It drove very nicely & didn't feel too much like an SUV. The only reason I bought it was because there was a tax credit for trucks exceeding 6000 lbs. at the time. Including the tax credit the brand new X5 cost me $36K which was a great deal. It was a 2003. They still look good and up to date after 13 years.
The X5 is a nice ride but it is a heavy SUV, it feels like you are driving a range rover. Also, I heard the X5's have problems with their transmissions. BTW My dad's was an 05 and you are right that was a great deal. 35k new, well you are not going to get it cheaper than that. Right now if you want to buy an X5 here in the States. Today, those cars cost 54,000 and maybe you can get it for 50. I would still suggest our friend here BT, to check out the Audi Q5 TDI you just can't beat 24/31 MPG with a 3.0 v6 twin turbo diesel engine. It will give him the most bang for his bucks and it is stylish, like the X5. The problem with BMW's is and German cars in general is you will be crying, when something wrong happens with it but I say roll with the Q5 Diesel. Anyways, BT you have some time to think about it, it is not like you are getting the SUV tomorrow but X5's are decent SUV's as well.

Zob Ahan

Elite Member
Feb 4, 2005
The X5 is a nice ride but it is a heavy SUV, it feels like you are driving a range rover. Also, I heard the X5's have problems with their transmissions. BTW My dad's was an 05 and you are right that was a great deal. 35k new, well you are not going to get it cheaper than that. Right now if you want to buy an X5 here in the States. Today, those cars cost 54,000 and maybe you can get it for 50. I would still suggest our friend here BT, to check out the Audi Q5 TDI you just can't beat 24/31 MPG with a 3.0 v6 twin turbo diesel engine. It will give him the most bang for his bucks and it is stylish, like the X5. The problem with BMW's is and German cars in general is you will be crying, when something wrong happens with it but I say roll with the Q5 Diesel. Anyways, BT you have some time to think about it, it is not like you are getting the SUV tomorrow but X5's are decent SUV's as well.
The X5 was $50K but with the tax credit it came out to $36K.

Oct 1, 2004
Why a German car?
If you really want a German SUV I have heard great things about the Volkswagen Touareg but my reservation is that they build them in Slovakia.

Finally

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
X5 all the way and you won't be sorry. Here is how you know if you made the right decision:
When you are stopped behind a red light and you see the other car that you were interested in pulls up next to you and you say to yourself, good thing I didn't buy that car.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Honestly, the number of horror stories on these BMWs and Mercs is simply scary. I compare the numbers with Acura and Lexus and it's not even comparable.

Fuck man. I really want to get out of the Japanese, but these fucking Germans just can't make reliable cars it seems![/QUOTE}

Which is why I am leaning to the Audi for you but not the Q7, get the Q5 diesel. First of all it won't break the bank I think the new Q7's are what 70K, maybe you can get it for 62 with good credit. The Q5TDI NEW is slightly less than 50K so for 30-35K, you can get a really good pre owned one. My dad drove Mercedes, BMW's and Porsche all his life and he said it like this. "Always have some money in the bank if you own a German car." Now it seems like Audi's are much better than BMW and Mercedes in that dept. The Lexus is the least problematic but I feel like you are driving in a large egg. I do not know if you drove a diesel ever but you get better gas mileage and they are much more reliable than gas. The only problem is here in the states and I am sure in Canada(Diesel costs more than regular gas not the premium but regular)

I say TEST DRIVE the top two models that are in your head. Just pck the one that you feel the most comfortable with, that is another good thing to do.

Honestly, the number of horror stories on these BMWs and Mercs is simply scary. I compare the numbers with Acura and Lexus and it's not even comparable.

Fuck man. I really want to get out of the Japanese, but these fucking Germans just can't make reliable cars it seems!

a colleague of mine got a 2016 RX350 and I just fell in love with it in my first ride.

Last edited:

OSTAD POOYA

National Team Player
Jan 26, 2004
BT stay away from German cars. My wife has a 735LI that needed a tranny at 40000 miles. The tranny cost $6800. I will stay away from German cars from now on even though I owned them all my life.
Read these before you buy:
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/bmw_trans.html

If you are going to buy go for a Lexus. Only lease a german car.

Arent engines and transmissions covered up to 60K or 5 years under warranty?

BT jaan I have owend 2 BMW's and a VW and some Japanese cars..... Stay away from buying a German car... Once it starts costing you with maintancea and fixing it you will be crying.. Oil changes are like a $150.. Break jobs are like $450 to $550... God forbid anything with engine or transmission or all the elctric stuff that could go wrong.. The only way you can survive this and have a good time is just to lease them and toss them away.. As indicated Volkswagen Touareg is a good choice too both for being reliable new and the price tag..

Last edited:

ChaharMahal

Elite Member
Oct 18, 2002
if you are going for the suv because you need more room or comfort.

go with a freaking American SUV. they just know how to make them. yes they are gas guzzlers, but apparently that's not an issue.

There is plenty of them around and parts are not an issues and thus maintenance is not an issue.

Oct 18, 2010
if you are going for the suv because you need more room or comfort.

go with a freaking American SUV. they just know how to make them. yes they are gas guzzlers, but apparently that's not an issue.

There is plenty of them around and parts are not an issues and thus maintenance is not an issue.
except when they go haywire and kill their owners.

The Los Angeles Police Department confirmed that the car that rolled into and killed actor Anton Yelchin was a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Fiat Chrysler recently recalled

german vehicles are superior to anything made in the world.that is why they cost a premium
to own them.they basically run forever if you take care of them.you see plenty of 25+ year
old german made vehicles on the roads.i doubt you will find any other kind on the road with that
age.the key is to do the recommended maintenance and don't be cheap about it.you don't have
to take it to the dealer.take to an independent shop and it costs much less.

Oct 16, 2002
DarvAze DoolAb
www.iransportspress.com
go with a freaking American SUV
Show me one that doesn't have a cheaply made interior and I'll buy it. American car makers just love cutting corners on the interior.

I'm leaning towards Infiniti QX and Acura MDX at this point. Japanese again :( The Lexus RX looks too ugly from outside for my taste.

Audi Q5 is still interesting but the maintenance scare is still there.

I would've liked to drive the ML350 or the X5 but I can't justify paying that much money for a car that doesn't beat the reliability of others half its price.

TeamMeli

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
Show me one that doesn't have a cheaply made interior and I'll buy it. American car makers just love cutting corners on the interior.

I'm leaning towards Infiniti QX and Acura MDX at this point. Japanese again :( The Lexus RX looks too ugly from outside for my taste.

Audi Q5 is still interesting but the maintenance scare is still there.

I would've liked to drive the ML350 or the X5 but I can't justify paying that much money for a car that doesn't beat the reliability of others half its price.
Lincoln Navigators are pretty sick with it.